News Forum - Phuket shuts down ATK checkpoints at Bangla Walking Street from tomorrow

Thaiger

The ATK checkpoints at the entrance of Bangla Walking Street in Phuket will be shut down from tomorrow onwards, according to the Patong Entertainment Association. The checkpoints have been operating since January this year. Today, the President of Patong Entertainment Association shared with Thai media that the two ATK checkpoints at the entrance and exit of Bangla Road or Bangla Walking Street will be closed from tomorrow onwards. He said that the checkpoints were operated with support from the association, the Patong Development Foundation, and other state and private departments. He added that it has been operating well since the […]

The story Phuket shuts down ATK checkpoints at Bangla Walking Street from tomorrow as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Seems Phuket is not part of Thailand anymore and appear to be able to do what they want with zero interference from the idiots in charge. 555

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

With not the come one come all does anyone want to make a bet that they just might be the big winner for Covid cases at the end of the holidays? 

• Like 1

@Moderation:

I request a message with information why my comments here were deleted. It happened many times already, never with any reasonable explanation.

You should be ashamed of censoring opinions, just because you personally do not share them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Seems Phuket is not part of Thailand anymore and appear to be able to do what they want with zero interference from the idiots in charge. 555

8269B26C-C605-4755-ABB9-F95F24A44457.jpeg

With only a small percentage of people infected with Omicron having a fever, the temperature check was only for show. At the checkpoint, guards did check to see that you were wearing a face mask, but nearly everyone removed them within a minute or two. Hardly any facemasks are seen on Bangla.

Bars (they don't even pretend to be restaurants) are generally closing between 1 and 2AM as the customers dwindle. Phuket does indeed have different rules than the rest of the country. 

• Like 2

Knowing Bangla with Songkran (I wouldn’t come near it) and the water fighting going on not even one partially dry person in that Soi) I can understand that it is impossible to hold tests.

9 hours ago, Alavan said:

Knowing Bangla with Songkran (I wouldn’t come near it) and the water fighting going on not even one partially dry person in that Soi) I can understand that it is impossible to hold tests.

Not Knowing Bangla or Thailand methinks you may be out of touch. Water fights banned again this year for the third year.

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

With not the come one come all does anyone want to make a bet that they just might be the big winner for Covid cases at the end of the holidays? 

Are there nowadays some for whom "cases" still has any importance if any meaning????

When I was in Phuket, I went once to Bangla Rd and like DFPhuket described it above, it was the same then, temperature check, pretending that you wore the mask that you took off as soon as you past the checkpoint. All bars open and full of people, live music, party time everywhere. That was in... October, nearly 6 months ago!! As far as I know it has not been an hecatombe of deaths since.

4 hours ago, Manu said:

Are there nowadays some for whom "cases" still has any importance if any meaning????

When I was in Phuket, I went once to Bangla Rd and like DFPhuket described it above, it was the same then, temperature check, pretending that you wore the mask that you took off as soon as you past the checkpoint. All bars open and full of people, live music, party time everywhere. That was in... October, nearly 6 months ago!! As far as I know it has not been an hecatombe of deaths since.

Just talking about infections not deaths, but in reality you don't have to have a temperature to be infected and positive, so even that is ineffective. Now the ATK tests in my opinion are the only sure way to know. So again, to me, and even I have a friend down there right now saying it is gearing up, Phuket will be wide open for water fun and partying and thus seems no real control on the matter will be probably the covid winner of the holidays.

7 hours ago, Bobdown said:

Not Knowing Bangla or Thailand methinks you may be out of touch. Water fights banned again this year for the third year.

So you think they won’t throw water in Bangla? I have serious doubts, but ok, you don’t know Bangla.

These control points are a waste of time and serve no purpose.

Omicron BA1 and BA2 (which will become the dominant strain in Thailand within the next two weeks), is not a problem to vaccinated people. If you have underlying health issues, which you are not on top of, then you may have problems. Furthermore, there is absolutely no way on the face of the planet, that people are going to avoid it, given the fact that it is as transmissible as measles or more so. The new XE variant is even more transmissible,  but once again, not a problem if you are fully vaccinated or have immunity as a result of previous infection.

It's time to be sensible and let adults make informed decisions and judgement calls for themselves, if we are  truly going to learn to live with it.

Happy Songkran everyone.🙏

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

Omicron BA1 and BA2 (which will become the dominant strain in Thailand within the next two weeks), is not a problem to vaccinated people. If you have underlying health issues, which you are not on top of, then you may have problems. Furthermore, there is absolutely no way on the face of the planet, that people are going to avoid it, given the fact that it is as transmissible as measles or more so. The new XE variant is even more transmissible,  but once again, not a problem if you are fully vaccinated or have immunity as a result of previous infection.

It's time to be sensible and let adults make informed decisions and judgement calls for themselves, if we are  truly going to learn to live with it.

Thank you Doctor. 😄

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

I agree, I work on a mine site in Western Australia. At my place of employment we are required to complete a Rapid Antigen Test before flying to site, wear masks at all times while in the airport terminal, flying to site, working indoors and travelling in vehicles, wash hands and put on surgical gloves prior to entering the dry mess.

So the only place I don't have to wear a mask is in my room in the camp. I have my own office so work predominantly on my own (still wearing a mask) but I still caught Covid.

As I am triple vaccinated (mandated in my industry), I had minimal issues and am fully recovered. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2022 at 5:58 PM, Thaiger said:

The ATK checkpoints at the entrance of Bangla Walking Street in Phuket will be shut down from tomorrow onwards,

Obviously too expensive for the Phuket Government to keep spending coffers on ….. Foreign Tourists will still be paying for theirs though.