News Forum - Will Smith has been ‘slapped’ a 10 year ban from attending the Oscars

Thaiger

Will Smith has been banned from attending the Academy Awards for the next 10 years, following his spontaneous slapping of comedian host Chris Rock on stage during this year’s Oscars. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced its decision in a statement yesterday (US time). “The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.”  The statement was co-signed by Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson, after […]

The story Will Smith has been ‘slapped’ a 10 year ban from attending the Oscars as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

4 hours ago, SkipsPa said:

Perhaps Chris Rock also deserves criticism for an ill considered remark.

You’re assuming Rock knew about Jada’s alopecia. Regardless, using that argument leads to all comedians needing to get their jokes approved by their ”victims” press agents so as not offend their delicate sensibilities.

Black Slaps Matter! 

• Like 1

It was a joke, maybe not a particularly funny one, but a joke.  Nothing should be excluded for comedians to use. Smith should have sucked it up and moved on.  He is a great actor, but always too full of himself.  I guess that those two often come together. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Will Smith has been banned from attending the Academy Awards for the next 10 years, following his spontaneous slapping of comedian host Chris Rock on stage during this year’s Oscars. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced its decision in a statement yesterday (US time). “The Board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards.”  The statement was co-signed by Academy President David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson, after […]

The story Will Smith has been ‘slapped’ a 10 year ban from attending the Oscars as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That sucks! Especially if Bad Boys 4 and Independence Day 3 get nominated.

An interesting movie, but, Smith certainly did not deserve an Oscar nomination.  Were the other nominated performances also just average?

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

You’re assuming Rock knew about Jada’s alopecia. Regardless, using that argument leads to all comedians needing to get their jokes approved by their ”victims” press agents so as not offend their delicate sensibilities.

Black Slaps Matter! 

That night, she had a full head of hair that she chose to buzz cut to draw attention.  No actual sign of alopecia.

He should be banned from being able to even be nominated and even sent an award. This does nothing to him as he is worth over $350,000,000. It is not even like stubbing his toe. Anyone else in California would probably have charges laid upon them by the police and prosecutor. But I do understand his outburst but it was the wrong direction to take. I like his movies but him and his family need to just go away. Bunch of weirdos.

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Will Smith has been banned from attending the Academy Awards for the next 10 years,

The left will claim this is another case of racial bias in sentencing.  Had it been Alec Baldwin they would have let him off saying it was a hand malfunction

image.png.d601143704df27402f2eb46a57846138.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cranky said:

An interesting movie, but, Smith certainly did not deserve an Oscar nomination.  Were the other nominated performances also just average?

The other nominees were okay. I honestly thought Denzel Washington would win for Macbeth. 

2 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

The left will claim this is another case of racial bias in sentencing.  Had it been Alec Baldwin they would have let him off saying it was a hand malfunction

The only thing black about Will Smith is the color of his skin. 

4 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

Assaults are tolerated when it is under the guise of entertainment. Let's step back and look at professional sports. Most sports have moments when one paid person assaults another paid participant in the heat of performing...and it never results in criminal charges. The corporations handle it internally with fines and discipline. No different than a basketball player who is getting pushed around and eventually throws a punch or elbow. 

14 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Assaults are tolerated when it is under the guise of entertainment. Let's step back and look at professional sports. Most sports have moments when one paid person assaults another paid participant in the heat of performing...and it never results in criminal charges. The corporations handle it internally with fines and discipline. No different than a basketball player who is getting pushed around and eventually throws a punch or elbow. 

In the NFL, its necessary to hit and hit hard 

39 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

In the NFL, its necessary to hit and hit hard 

Sure within the confines of the game. But the example I am laying out is a violent act that is not part of the game. For example, there have been many instances in hockey when a play is over, and a player hits or checks another player while their guard is down. Sometimes this has resulted in injuries that requires hospitalization. I am sure the same thing has happened in soccer (football). The player gets fined, suspended, etc.  But I can't think of anytime that a professional athlete has been brought up on charges by the police for violence against another player, even when it is not part of the game. 

13 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Sure within the confines of the game. But the example I am laying out is a violent act that is not part of the game. For example, there have been many instances in hockey when a play is over, and a player hits or checks another player while their guard is down. Sometimes this has resulted in injuries that requires hospitalization. I am sure the same thing has happened in soccer (football). The player gets fined, suspended, etc.  But I can't think of anytime that a professional athlete has been brought up on charges by the police for violence against another player, even when it is not part of the game. 

This just happened in a Thai league. One player Muay Thai elbowed another player and he is suspended for I think 3 years. 24 stiches to the toehr kid and his team dropped him. Brutal. If he had only did a Will smith or taken a white glove and slapped him with that he would maybe still be ok. 

4 hours ago, Fanta said:

Black Slaps Matter! 

A reasonable view. My point is that it's easy to make snap  judgements but perhaps other points might be considered such as was Jada close to Will Smith at the time, was she upset by the comment, did Will Smith know she was upset?

12 hours ago, SkipsPa said:

Perhaps Chris Rock also deserves criticism for an ill considered remark.

ridiculous statement, he is an entertainer, he was paid to make jokes on the stage. If WS or his wife were offended by the jokes, they should have left in protest and the message would have been stronger than a slap.

The public apologies probably helped WS to get only 10 years instead of a lifetime ban.

A message has been sent, class A actors like WS can't get away with anything

Edited by butterfly