News Forum - Boeing 757-200 crash lands and splits in two at Costa Rica airport

Thaiger

Boeing’s series of bad media, whether directly at fault or not, continues after a DHL Boeing 757-200 cargo aircraft crash landed and split into two, losing its tail end at Costa Rica’s Juan Santamaria international airport yesterday. The crew managed to escape the yellow DHL cargo plane and came out of the incident unharmed. The aircraft was bound for Guatemala when it apparently had a mechanical failure in its hydraulic system, prompting the pilot to make an emergency landing shortly after take off. A video (below) of the incident shows the plane landing and skidding off the runway before splitting […]

The story Boeing 757-200 crash lands and splits in two at Costa Rica airport as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Beoing cannot take a trick these days.

Think this one had some help from a possibly poorly loaded plane, tail end heavy at a guess.

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Beoing cannot take a trick these days.

Think this one had some help from a possibly poorly loaded plane, tail end heavy at a guess.

More like hydraulic brake release failure/lock-up or landing gear strut collapse.  A maintenance failure coming at a bad time for Boeing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

Seems like a boing is falling down every week now.  Lufthansa is becoming more and more appreciated.

Boeing is a manufacturer of planes, Lufthansa is an airline, two completely different companies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Boeing is a manufacturer of planes, Lufthansa is an airline, two completely different companies.

I believe you are not understanding the correlation of two separate facts.

Lufthansa typically uses AIRBUS and NOT boeing. So therefore, I think it will be more appealing for those who see safety profile as an important thing. 

7 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

Lufthansa typically uses AIRBUS and NOT boeing. So therefore, I think it will be more appealing for those who see safety profile as an important thing. 

Why Lufthansa Won't Retire Their Boeing 747's Anytime Soon (simpleflying.com)

Lufthansa fleet - Wikipedia

Lufthansa do use Boeing aircraft and are purchasing a few more in 2022.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

where do you get your facts from?

This video shows the incident more clearly and I understand the B757 suffered left side hydraulic failure, that system affecting steering of the nosewheel and reverse thrust on the left engine.  Low airspeed eventually made the rudder ineffective and right side reverse thrust could have pulled the aircraft off line.

RAM air + right side hydraulics should have compensated unless the Auto-Braking system was used which could account for brake lock-up.

Luckily no injury or fire, just a 22 year old hull write-off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Luckily no injury or fire, just a 22 year old hull write-off.

Maybe Thai Airway’s can sell them a replacement plane, may help them with getting a bet of cash.

• Haha 1

when booking a flight, make sure it's AIRBUS

Lufthansa it is these days,

flying with THAI is starting to feel dangerous, not sure how they maintained their BOEING fleet during COVID, or if they paid their maintenance crew for necessary repairs

Edited by butterfly

23 hours ago, NorskTiger said:

Seems like a boing is falling down every week now.  Lufthansa is becoming more and more appreciated.

Lufthansa is an airline not a manufacturer. FYI Lufthansa does lean more towards Airbus manufactured aircraft but they currently still operate 27 Boeing aircraft (although some may still be in storage because of the pandemic) and they currently have orders placed for a further 45 new aircraft from Boeing. So your comment is meaningless. 

Edited by Tim_Melb

10 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

This video shows the incident more clearly

Thanks for posting the video, does show a great deal more.

4 hours ago, butterfly said:

when booking a flight, make sure it's AIRBUS

Lufthansa it is these days,

flying with THAI is starting to feel dangerous, not sure how they maintained their BOEING fleet during COVID, or if they paid their maintenance crew for necessary repairs

No. Make sure it’s a first rate European / East Asian AIRLINE. Perfectly  happy to fly ANY aircraft if the airline is top notch. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldschooler said:

No. Make sure it’s a first rate European / East Asian AIRLINE. Perfectly  happy to fly ANY aircraft if the airline is top notch. 

Go and pedal your racist rubbish somewhere else. 

1 minute ago, Tim_Melb said:

Go and pedal your racist rubbish somewhere else. 

The rational basis for my airline preferences is Safety then Service / Convenience / Cost, based on Experience. Excluding geographical regions of different types  including North America , and including others like East Asia,  cannot rationally be considered “racist”. It’s your ill-mannered comment which is “rubbish”.😉🥺

Don’t let me interrupt your “ diverse & inclusive” booking with Malaysian Airlines or Aeroflot or Egypt Air perhaps ?🤣