News Forum - BMC candidate reveals transparent ads to reduce car accidents, netizens disagree

Thaiger

One inventive candidate for the Bangkok Metropolitan Council has come up with a new design for campaign ads, saying his transparent banners would reduce car accidents. The candidate said such banners would not block the visibility of drivers, as they can see through the clear plastic material, unlike traditional banners. However, Thai netizens, who have been keen on clearing the city’s sidewalks from campaign ad obstructions, say the new style of banners still block the sidewalks anyway. With the elections for Bangkok governor and the Bangkok Metropolitan Council coming up, almost every sidewalk in Bangkok is now decorated with colourful […]

The story BMC candidate reveals transparent ads to reduce car accidents, netizens disagree as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

During the previous elections I have managed to keep quite a lot of these campaign posters which I then repurpose as floor linings for my dog house. They are made of canvases of various thickness depending on the budget and what the candidates can afford. Some of the better ones last almost a year despite the daily washing and scrubbing.

So basically my dogs are pooping on these candidates faces daily.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The candidate said such banners would not block the visibility of drivers, as they can see through the clear plastic material, unlike traditional banners. However, Thai netizens, who have been keen on clearing the city’s sidewalks from campaign ad obstructions, say the new style of banners still block the sidewalks anyway

So why not just have a banner fitted to a pole, with ONLY the text at the same height as the text on the transparent banner, but less the transparent banner?
Ah, I know, the idea isn't 'transparent' enough.

I have a much better idea that's never been used before in Thailand:
Get the police to consistently and impartially enforce the myriad of rules they have already,
Yes, I know why that will never work - two words - 'consistently' and 'impartially'.

• Like 1

That with the tree is right, it was not the banner on the wheelchair stlry. And if it wasn't for the tree, it would have been for the next power pole.  And in case, it would be enough space between the power pole and the road, they often just "plant" the "no.parking" sign pole  righ in front if the power pole, so that you can't get trough with anything that has wheels. Sideswalks are unused empty public space for the most of them.  That is, why they often decorate half of it with flowerpots and such, in front of their homes/shops/restaurants. Not even starting about the sales-tables in areas with common pedestrian traffic. Or just to block it with motorcycles.

Because who, in Thailand, wanna walk on them, further as to a car or moto? 

And the invisible banner sre still having a frame, don't they? And yes, he did not say, they arent in the way, he just mentioned, people can see through them