News Forum - CCSA to discuss Songkran, scrapping on-arrival PCR tests for travellers TODAY

Thaiger

Thailand’s government will meet again today to discuss how to contain the spread of Covid-19 during next week’s Songkran festival, its vaccination rollout for the elderly and whether or not to scrap the on-arrival PCR tests for foreign travelers. Thailand hoteliers and others travel industry professionals have been lobbying for a full removal of PCR testing to attract more tourists, as neighboring nations transition to living-with-Covid strategies. During today’s meeting, the Department of Disease Control will submit a proposal to scrap the mandatory PCR tests for international travelers. The CCSA said the new rule would come into effect after next […]

The story CCSA to discuss Songkran, scrapping on-arrival PCR tests for travellers TODAY as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Still an ATK test on arrival, so still the risk of being incarcerated for 2 weeks at your own cost. Not a nice way to start your 3-week vacation.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Still an ATK test on arrival, so still the risk of being incarcerated for 2 weeks at your own cost. Not a nice way to start your 3-week vacation.

I do agree the test is rather pointless in terms of cases caught versus the massive expense. But in terms of having a test, the antigen takes a huge risk off travelers. PCR tests skew to false positives while antigen skews to false negative.

Also to be sure or as required by some airlines you probably have to take a predeparture antigen test anyway.  

Singapore moved to antigen arrival tests months ago and has now scrapped all in bound testing (though antigen tests still required predeparture). 

And none of these easier testing requirements help the more fundamental issue—who wants to take a vacation to a country with more covid restrictions like nightlife bans, outdoor masks, etc than home? 

The US cruise industry is reporting RECORD demand for cruises and US to Europe airfares are sky high due to oil and demand. Yet no one is coming to Thailand. I wonder why? People are smart. They check the covid rules at destination first. 

No surprise but the Thai government is moving at a glacial pace despite the obvious evidence of the huge costs and little benefits to all these “prevention” measures which seems to prevent nothing. 

• Like 1

Whatever way the TAT & CCSA may package it, nothing is going to change unless Thailand totally scrap all the post arrival testing and the subsequent conditions attached to it. For sure tourists will not like to be end up as a "lame duck" in Thailand

• Like 3

Removal of pcr, and l assume the sah hotel too, will probably make Thailand a little bit more interesting, in particular due to reduced expenses. I doubt most tourists are aware of the consequences if one test positive on the not so reliable ATK test. And what about the Thailand pass..?

• Like 3

I’m 2 days out from going to Thailand. I have a recovery certificate, but despite messaging the hotel and the hospital, no one will tell me if it will be accepted or what level of Ct is the threshold for a mandatory 10 day quarantine. It’s cheaper for me to just change my flights on 2 days notice to go somewhere else. I’m more than happy to be vaccinated, take pre-departure tests, and antigen tests. But the arrival PCR and the penalties has me about to cancel a vacation I’ve delayed now for 2 years.

The ONLY solution to restore tourism to pre pandemic levels Is to scrap ALL Covid associated entry requirements, such as many other countries have already done.

UK airports and airlines are now struggling to accommodate the number of passengers travelling. Airlines are quoting pre pandemic booking levels.

However, and it would be a lesson well learned. The airports were not prepared for the rapid response of the public to travel, which has involved mass delays and or flight cancellations. 

Airlines have cancelled multiple flights, blaming staff sickness.

In reality and IMO, it’s due to staff shortages. They made so many people redundant instead of furloughing them and now they are surprised that those people have found other jobs and don’t want to come back. 

Not a problem I think you will suffer in Thailand as there are so many without work. The point is, that people are ready to come, they are travelling in huge numbers now. Just not to Thailand. So you are missing out on a huge opportunity to kick off the restoration of your tourist industry with many other Asian countries benefiting from your loss. 

Scrap the Thailand Pass and everything to do with it now, or continue to lose Millions/Billions of income.

open it now and they will come. 

Edited by BBY
  • Like 2