News Forum - Thailand prepares to axe on arrival PCR test | GMT

Thaiger

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Hi Soidog! 

I followed the link you provided and then went to their FAQ section. They do discuss the cases of mild symptoms, which they call "green cases" in their FAQ and the way I understand it is that the medical components are covered, whilst hotel accommodation (in the case of quarantine) is not. Correct me if I am wrong, though. 

Hi DJM. I must admit to not having read the terms and conditions or the FAQ. As I’ve stated above, the cover note seemed to say it all. This is utterly outrageous and with AXA being a global company there may be some redress in your own country. Total con. 

5 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Hi Marc,

This was my 6th trip back since June last year and everytime I search for approved covid insurance all sites bring you to AXA and my wife used to work for AXA here.

Like everything here it will be a tie in with someone in government.

Will advise here after correspondence with AXA

Please keep us all updated on this. This is a real worry and your story needs to get to a much wider audience. I wish you the best of luck in getting your money back. 

I would like to hear AXA say that they only cover 12000 Baht.

Maybe I misunderstood but till now it is just the hospital saying AXA didn’t pay more.

This is from the AXA FAQ section: 

"If I'm tested positive for COVID-19 and considered a "green case" (mild symptoms, no underlying conditions), having to be quarantined in the hotel (so called "Hotel Isolation". Will AXA pay for this hotel cost? -> "AXA will not cover for hotel accommodation cost. AXA will however cover for other medical costs such as telemedicine". " 

The point is that for me personally, I am almost completely sure that I would become a mild/asymptomatic case (three vaccine shots, young, no medical issues) - and as long as accommodation is not covered, I don't think it would be wise for me to go to Thailand. 

35 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I would like to hear AXA say that they only cover 12000 Baht.

Maybe I misunderstood but till now it is just the hospital saying AXA didn’t pay more.

That hospital is almost assuredly in AXA's network, so it should have been a cashless transaction

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DJM said:

"If I'm tested positive for COVID-19 and considered a "green case" (mild symptoms, no underlying conditions), having to be quarantined in the hotel (so called "Hotel Isolation". Will AXA pay for this hotel cost? -> "AXA will not cover for hotel accommodation cost. AXA will however cover for other medical costs such as telemedicine". " 

The point is that for me personally, I am almost completely sure that I would become a mild/asymptomatic case (three vaccine shots, young, no medical issues) - and as long as accommodation is not covered, I don't think it would be wise for me to go to Thailand. 

Many worldwide insurances cover that as "trip interruption"

Mine from work states it specifcally...........

So you could shop for one that does.........

• Like 1

Although I'm sympathetic to the OP, you have to read the T+C's of the insurance. They all basically come down to not covering asymptomatic costs, and treatment arising from that. 

It's BS, and there's nothing you can do about it really. 

That's the risk you take. 

56 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Although I'm sympathetic to the OP, you have to read the T+C's of the insurance. They all basically come down to not covering asymptomatic costs, and treatment arising from that. 

It's BS, and there's nothing you can do about it really. 

That's the risk you take. 

That's not true

If a doctor forces you into a hospital because you have covid, regardless of your symptoms level, that is a medical expense 

It should be covered until the language of the policy 

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think you need to print out the policy and bring it with you and argue as much as you can

Don't know if that helps..............but that is what I would do

Just to be sure that have your Covid-19 insurance agent deal the talking with the hospital instead of you. Majority of the private hospitals in Thailand are always asking for cash upfront no matter what. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Then, you should buy another insurance for the "trip interruption" as Marc26 mentioned. It covers hotel isolation.

2 hours ago, ace035 said:

Just to be sure that have your Covid-19 insurance agent deal the talking with the hospital instead of you. Majority of the private hospitals in Thailand are always asking for cash upfront no matter what. 

My wife called FWD and asked them if we go to an in-network hospital for covid, if they take care of it and we don't have to pay

They said yes, now don't know if that wiki ve the case in the event we need to use it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ace035 said:

Then, you should buy another insurance for the "trip interruption" as Marc26 mentioned. It covers hotel isolation.

TBH I couldn't find a policy that covers a positive covid test resulting in hotel quarantine

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's not true

If a doctor forces you into a hospital because you have covid, regardless of your symptoms level, that is a medical expense 

It should be covered until the language of the policythe 

The fact of the matter is by the time I arrived I was symptomatic and hence why the doctor admitted me to Samitivej hospital my understanding then was that all medical expenses would be covered. 

34 minutes ago, Johnmc17 said:

The fact of the matter is by the time I arrived I was symptomatic and hence why the doctor admitted me to Samitivej hospital my understanding then was that all medical expenses would be covered. 

Yes and it shouldn't ever have had you pay upfront because Samitivej is absolutely in AXA's network

I'm just confused by the whole thing 

I bet it was the hospital wanting to get paid right away vs waiting for AXA to pay it out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's not true

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes and it shouldn't ever have had you pay upfront because Samitivej is absolutely in AXA's network

I'm just confused by the whole thing 

I bet it was the hospital wanting to get paid right away vs waiting for AXA to pay it out 

Not quite Marc as they have deducted the 12000 they say AXA are paying.

Anyhow the whole thing is confusing if not suspicious

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

That's not true

That wasn't the terms of my policy. It basically said they only cover you if you're sick. Any costs incurred due to being positive but asymptomatic were not covered. 

And that's the gamble we take. 

9 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

That wasn't the terms of my policy. It basically said they only cover you if you're sick. Any costs incurred due to being positive but asymptomatic were not covered. 

And that's the gamble we take. 

EDIT: Sorry I thought you were the BM that got hospitalization 

I think you are referring to this part:

But they "hospitalized" you 

You didn't request it, so I can't see how that isn't covered

In the "example" below they say a "green case" won't need hospitalization, just telemedicine.

But you based were "prescribed" hospitalization

I'd fight like hell with them

AXA will cover for outpatient and inpatient medical expense incurred based on medical necessity. The guideline published by the Department of Medical Services, Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) on treating COVID-19 patients (https://covid19.dms.go.th/), which will be updated from time to time, is the reference for medical necessity

For hospitalization (hospital or hospitel), AXA uses a combination of factors, including but not limited to, symptoms (temperature, respiratory rate, oxygen saturation), age and underlying medical conditions to determine if the hospitalization is medically necessary. Only medically necessary inpatient expenses will be covered by AXA.

For example, a young adult who is asymptomatic, without any other underlying medical conditions will be categorized as “green case”. Therefore, he will not require any hospitalization but only telemedicine as stated in the said MOPH guideline. In this case, AXA will not cover for any inpatient medical expenses, but will cover for the cost of telemedicine (if any).

14 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

TBH I couldn't find a policy that covers a positive covid test resulting in hotel quarantine

Try Trawick Safe Bound Travel

On 4/8/2022 at 4:48 AM, Johnmc17 said:

Hi Marc,

This was my 6th trip back since June last year and everytime I search for approved covid insurance all sites bring you to AXA and my wife used to work for AXA here.

Like everything here it will be a tie in with someone in government.

Will advise here after correspondence with AXA

I don't get it, so if your wife works in AXA, why can't she talk to AXA instead of kept on paying upfront, you said 5 days for B76K & AXA only pay B12K.

4 minutes ago, ace035 said:

I don't get it, so if your wife works in AXA, why can't she talk to AXA instead of kept on paying upfront, you said 5 days for B76K & AXA only pay B12K.

Not sure what you dont get, and if you read the thread properly my wife doesnt work for AXA she used to work for them. This info not for my benefit but for those coming here to Thailand thinking they are covered for all covid expenses.

Also meant for these Thaiger presenters instead of repeating Bangkok Post or other news outlet news on here,they should try highliting issued like this 

2 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Not sure what you dont get, and if you read the thread properly my wife doesnt work for AXA she used to work for them. This info not for my benefit but for those coming here to Thailand thinking they are covered for all covid expenses.

Also meant for these Thaiger presenters instead of repeating Bangkok Post or other news outlet news on here,they should try highliting issued like this 

Don't worry about comments

It's a good thread with valuable info, so thanks for posting 

If you see what I posted above from AXA FQA, I don't know how you can't be covered

Doesn't matter if you are "green case"

You were forced to hospitalization by a doctor 

That is a medical necessity/expense 

FYI

My insurance, FWD, doesn't even mention case levels or whatnot.

Let's hope I don't have to find out, anyways

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the above, after advising AXA that i was seeking legal advice they have agreed to pay the outstanding amount for the medical bills i paid. Shouldn't have to come to this.

This month i have bought a insurance policy from an american website for $20.

13 hours ago, Johnmc17 said:

Just an update on the above, after advising AXA that i was seeking legal advice they have agreed to pay the outstanding amount for the medical bills i paid. Shouldn't have to come to this.

This month i have bought a insurance policy from an american website for $20.

Awesome and as I said above, you were forced into a hospital

They had to cover it 

Great result and thanks for the update!