News Forum - Thailand to welcome Russian travellers back this Saturday, really?@!, Ukraine Discussion

Thaiger

The Russian PM, Mikhail Mishustin, has revealed that Russia would open its sky to 52 “friendly” countries from April 9 onwards after being closed to prevent the spread of Covid-19. And that other matter.  On the list is Thailand who says they’re ready to welcome the Russian travellers back. Given the current situation with the ongoing war between Russia and Ukraine, following Russia’s invasion in March, the ‘happy’ media release about the flights resuming “due to the removal of Covid restrictions” will probably amount to nothing except some ‘feel good’ local media. There’s also a long list of aircraft lessors […]

The story Thailand to welcome Russian travellers back this Saturday, really?@! as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Edited by Smithydog
Topic ediedt to accommodate more open discussion in thread

Everyone interpreted this one wrongly.

Russia wants everyone to come to Russia for tourism they want your foreign currency.

Some of their "friendly" countries are more worse off than Russia.

Sri Lanka- bankrupt and no electricity, Ethiopia - has never had much of anything, Myanmar- thugs and criminals, Lebanon - survives day to day, Tunisia - has no idea about anything and the old favourite Nth Korea - who has thousands of tourists looking for somewhere to go, just not allowed.

Left China out deliberately -- they are having 2/6 each way at the moment.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, palooka said:

Russia wants everyone to come to Russia for tourism they want your foreign currency.

Sri Lanka- bankrupt and no electricity, Ethiopia - has never had much of anything, Myanmar- thugs and criminals, Lebanon - survives day to day, Tunisia - has no idea about anything and the old favourite Nth Korea - who has thousands of tourists looking for somewhere to go, just not allowed.

Yes, the title of the article doesn't match the content and is misleading.

• Like 2

Good for Thailand!  The average Russian citizen has nothing to do with Putin's war and more counties should realize that all these dumb restrictions, sanctions, and other idiotic ideas hurt innocent people who have nothing to do with all this foolishness.  Hopefully this will allow people who want to leave Russia to get out and those trapped outside of Russia and removed from their family's to get back to them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seeyou said:

So Thailand will welcome Russians and take the risk at other travellers will skip Thailand due to this statement... 

You really thing people will skip coming to Thailand because Russian citizens are allowed to visit here?  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

Good for Thailand!  The average Russian citizen has nothing to do with Putin's war and more counties should realize that all these dumb restrictions, sanctions, and other idiotic ideas hurt innocent people who have nothing to do with all this foolishness.  Hopefully this will allow people who want to leave Russia to get out and those trapped outside of Russia and removed from their family's to get back to them.  

So what do you propose in order to get the message in to Putins thick skull that his behaviour is unacceptable? Would you advocate an all out war which would kill millions of innocent people? Or would you advocate we all pretend nothing is happening and carry on as normal with Russia? Perhaps there’s an alternative  way you can think of? 

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

You really thing people will skip coming to Thailand because Russian citizens are allowed to visit here?  

Yes, most people would not like to spend their holidays amidst Russian 'soldiers' recovering from their hardships. Such as raping and murdering civilians.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Yes, most people would not like to spend their holidays amidst Russian 'soldiers' recovering from their hardships. Such as raping and murdering civilians.

Well Thailand did open Pattaya for American GIs to R&R during the Vietnam war despite them also raping and murdering civilians bringing democracy to south east Asia so I reckon this is fair game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I didn‘t mind the Corona entry restrictions. But Thailand supporting Russia is a good reason to avoid Thailand. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

The two lists of friendly and unfriendly countries could just as easiy read civilised and uncivilised. Truly blessed that I am lucky enough to hail from one of the civilised and unfriendly countries.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

I was only saying to my partner last night, wouldn't this be a smashing time to go on holiday to Moscow....🤣

But seriously, Thailand should be careful. Cancel culture is fickle, even for those who worship the one true god, money.

• Like 7
  • Cool 1

Shame ,shame,shame on you. Be proud of yourself. You know, what goes around comes around. Very bad Karma.  Being called a Russia friendly country would me want to curl up and die.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rob2010 said:

The two lists of friendly and unfriendly countries could just as easiy read civilised and uncivilised. Truly blessed that I am lucky enough to hail from one of the civilised and unfriendly countries.

The two lists of friendly and unfriendly countries could just as easy read intimidating and nevermind. Truly blessed that I am smart enough to realize that not everything that shines is gold and that the Western World is responsible for most wars and other problems.

• Like 2

I have two passports and have lived in two other countries (including Japan, for the past 21 years). All four countries are on the ‘unfriendly’ list. 

Am I perturbed? Nope.

• Like 5
  • Cool 1

And how are the Russian tourists supposed to get to Thailand?

As far as I know, the Boeing and Airbus airplanes used by Russian airlines should be arrested in the first airport outside of Russia.

There are tens, not even hundreds, of aircrafts produced by Russia (IL and Sukhoi SuperJet) and I am not even sure that Sukhoi can make it to Thailand (it is a middle range plane).

So, there is only one viable option for Russians: fly to Turkey on their IL and Sukhoi, connect to any other airline and fly to BKK.

It is a long and costly journey. I doubt that many Russians would do it.

• Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

And how are the Russian tourists supposed to get to Thailand?

Didn't you read this? :

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Russia would open its sky to 52 “friendly” countries

They allowing Thai Airways IN to Russia. ;-(

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

But unfair on Ethiopia there. They've got great coffee, and some beautiful women.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

HighSo - The two lists of friendly and unfriendly countries could just as easy read intimidating and nevermind. Truly blessed that I am smart enough to realize that not everything that shines is gold and that the Western World is responsible for most wars and other problems.

Like freedom and democracy..i know they are real problems for stupid Thai HiSo's

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Noble_Design said:

This announcement came just when the Ruble almost goes back to pre-war & pre-sanction rates. Coincidence?

image.png.277959f56007b4663e70bf32734a0483.png

That may be the exchange rate in Russia, but I wonder what the rate will be outside Russia, that is if anybody will accept it.
I remember in the sixties and seventies one Ruble was one $ in Russia, bur outside you got 4 or 5 Ruble for a dollar.