News Forum - ‘I thought we were going to die’ – Malaysian Airlines 737 plunges mid-air, returns to KL

Thaiger

Malaysia Airlines has responded to questions over an ‘incident’ with one of their Boeing 737 aircraft last Sunday, commenting “that the plane performed an air turn back due to technical issues with the aircraft, compounded by bad weather en route”. Those “issues” caused MH2664, flying from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to Sabah on the eastern island of Borneo, to plunge some 31,000 ft to 24,000 ft “within seconds”, according to one of the passengers. Domestic flights would typically cruise somewhere in the range of 30 – 36,000 feet (approx. 9,000 – 11,000 metes). The flight from KL to Tawau in […]

The story ‘I thought we were going to die’ – Malaysian Airlines 737 plunges mid-air, returns to KL as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Those “issues” caused MH2664, [...], to plunge some 31,000 ft to 24,000 ft “within seconds”, according to one of the passengers.

Any passenger sufficiently alive to claim that the plane dropped faster than the speed of sound is an unreliable witness.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Who the hell in their right mind flys this airline after MH370 ? 

<unqualified speculation with racist undertones - removed>

Edited by KaptainRob
Refer Forum Guidelines

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

to plunge some 31,000 ft to 24,000 ft “within seconds”

Maybe the editorial staff will spot what must surely be a typo . . . maybe.

Hard to believe that 'one of the passengers' actually said this. 😏

Edit: Alteration

• Like 3

Report the facts, not BS from some passenger.  The plane had a technical issue, turned-around, went through severe turbulence from cumulonimbus clouds in area, descended 7000 feet over a 13 minute period, went into a holding pattern to burn fuel, and landed.  End of story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Boeing has been cutting corners ever since McDonnell Douglas took them over. My father was a Boeing engineer for decades until he quit because management was putting profits ahead of safety. Looks like nothing has changed. A once great company known for its strict attention to safety is no more and more people will die because of it. Fly Airbus if you want to be safe. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

All of which has utterly nothing to do with my post, if you'd be good enough to check.

It was about the plunge and the passengers statements about it and maybe a typo 

Sure I related it to the thaiger article and what I read there

And I guessed you, too

• Thanks 1

Stardust has removed himself from this thread and the previous 737 article due to his disruptive posts, not specifically due to the above.

The earlier article is now re-opened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BillO said:

Boeing has been cutting corners ever since McDonnell Douglas took them over. My father was a Boeing engineer for decades until he quit because management was putting profits ahead of safety. Looks like nothing has changed. A once great company known for its strict attention to safety is no more and more people will die because of it. Fly Airbus if you want to be safe. 

The Netflix Doc against Boeing was interesting....they dont look good in it... aka American greed CEOs

9 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

The Netflix Doc against Boeing was interesting....they dont look good in it... aka American greed CEOs

There is another good doc about it, on youtube, called:

Boeings fatal flaw 

Frontline/NY-times

• Like 1

Yes, the 737 Max situation was terrible.  No doubt.  Just happened to watch that Netflix Doco last night.  Thought it was going to be one of those SJW rabid dog pile hit pieces taking advantage of and stoking public fear and anger - I was prepared to shut it off in the first 5 minutes.  But no, they did a good job acknowledging and documenting the pain and grief of the families without losing the primary, investigative intent.  The family members they did feature for personal interviews, to their credit, added value by remaining composed, and tenaciously focused on accountability.   Fair play and well done.  

The antithesis of that kind of journalistic acumen, is on display with this article today. 

Roughly the same dynamic as, say, the predictably grotesque media frenzy to create the idea of a link between otherwise unrelated shark attacks at beaches.  The clamoring for market share typically escalates to "The Summer of Death!!!!" screen captioning and headlines, enveloped in the skeletal representation of a great white shark's terrifying jaw-set, the teeth dripping with blood as ominous sounding music plays.

I would like to point out that in spite of the racist rubbish opinions of some that have posted here these sort of incidents have been reported many times in the past by multiple airlines and all manufacturers. Most often they are related to wind shear which is basically when the aircraft effectively flys into a down draft or a low pressure "hole" in the air. These events are extreme turbulence and can cause damage to the aircraft, as a result it is common procedure to then either turn around or land at a suitable airport for inspection and repairs. I have read about these incidents occurring on many occasions with Qantas, BA, United, ANA and most other major airlines. This incident has almost certainly nothing to do with which airline was involved or which country it comes from, rather it is a positive reflection on the crew being well trained as they controlled the situation and landed the aircraft with no further incident. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 5:01 PM, Tim_Melb said:

This incident has almost certainly nothing to do with which airline was involved or which country it comes from, rather it is a positive reflection on the crew being well trained as they controlled the situation and landed the aircraft with no further incident. 

But wouldn't we expect to hear about the reason, then? I am worried, there is no follow up, no explanation what really happened!

21 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

But wouldn't we expect to hear about the reason, then? I am worried, there is no follow up, no explanation what really happened!

There will be a full investigation, that too is standard procedure. No doubt when there is nothing sensational to report about it the media will just forget about the story and the public will hear nothing more about it. But the investigations conclusions will be there for people to see if they look for the information. 

Let’s first start with the total number of Boeing aircraft flights that occur through out the world in a single day,   then pin point which countries these problems are occurring,  then ascertain whether the problem lies with the aircraft…… or substandard maintenance/personnel training.