News Forum - More dogs die from poisoning in Thailand

Thaiger

A woman in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima claims she has evidence that seven of her beloved dogs have been poisoned to death. She thinks she knows who the culprit is and has filed a complaint at the local police station in the hope they will be prosecuted. Dog poisoning is sadly a regular occurrence all over Thailand with both soi dogs and family pets often subjected to poisoning. Seven out of ten dogs belonging to 44 year old Pritsana Khaokratok have died from poisoning, she reported today. She claims her dogs have been poisoned over ten times. One […]

The story More dogs die from poisoning in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

I love dogs.

I have one myself.

I am curious.

Why would anyone want 10 dogs as pets.

That is alot of barking at night if they stay outside.

• Like 10

First of all, poisoning a dog is nothing else than a crime, it might put the animal in pain and terrible suffering, and ultimately it's not the dogs fault. With that said, what would you do if you had a mentaly ill neighbor with 10 dogs who bite you and your kids, bark all night, shit all over the place etc? That's one reson why I wouldn't buy a house,  1 year rent is long enough....

(Of course, in this particular case, it could be a serial dog killer out there, who knows?)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Transam said:

You wouldn't buy a house in case someone moved in next door with 10 dogs.....😟

I don't even know of a house with 10 dogs, except Battersea dogs home....🤭

10 beer drinking falang would've been worse than 10 barking dogs😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Angry 1

Yes it is a crime.

If I had a neighbor that had 10 dogs and were loose at night and barking, I would go to the police and complain and then see what happens.

Let the police investigate and talk to the neighbor that she thinks is poisoning the dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Would poisoning the neighbour and letting the dogs eat the evidence have been a better option 😉

No one needs 10 dogs unless you operate a fox hunt (cruel!).  Consideration for one’s neighbours is not high on the social thinking in Thailand. If it’s not dogs, it’s chicken. If it’s not chickens it’s people running a business from home turning the place in to a mini factory. If it’s not a factory it’s karaoke parties on a Tuesday night until after midnight. Until there are enforced noise pollution and noise nuisance laws then these things like this will keep happening. No one gives a Fu*k about others outside of their family here.    

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

She 'thinks' she knows who it is and has filed a complaint againgst them, hoping they'll be prosecuted. Thai logic.🥴

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

She 'thinks' she knows who it is and has filed a complaint againgst them, hoping they'll be prosecuted. Thai logic.🥴

And if she’s wrong, then the person can sue her for defamation and if found guilty she can sue him for defamation. What a place! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nivram said:

I love dogs.

I have one myself.

I am curious.

That is alot of barking at night if they stay outside.

There are limits to one’s patience and tolerance!

The young lady of the house told me its not unusual for Thais to confront each other violently over dog nuisance  with some resulting in death .

Some people treat their pets the same way as they treat young children and let them rule without limits, discipline and structure! Sad !

I experience this every day in the dog village that I reside in ,were every day the dogs congregate in front of houses antagonizing the multitude of dogs that reside on that property.

I have no sympathy for the owner of 10 mutt’s. I feel for the people who are forced to endure!

• Like 8

If you go to the police they probably kidnap you i love dogs got one my self he only go outside on a leash maybe the guy try  all other things already 

• Like 2

I'd bet my bottom 25 satang she let them run loose in the streets. If they really were her "beloved dogs" then shouldn't she have gotten better control over them say, after the first 3 or 4 poisonings?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Pritsana has evidence of the blue pills used to poison the dogs

The only little blue pills I know would have the opposite effect completely. 10 horny dogs.

2 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

what would you do if you had a mentaly ill neighbor with 10 dogs who bite you and your kids, bark all night, shit all over the place etc?

Yeah we were lucky. There's one particular soi in our moo baan that the kids call 'scary dog road'. Everyone avoids it. I just can't imagine my mental state if we had ended up with a house on that road.

• Like 4

Dog poisoning is sadly a regular occurrence all over Thailand with both soi dogs and family pets often subjected to poisoning

Indeed, it is . And it is usually killing the animal, that can't anything for the trouble it is causing. And reading , like in this case, that 7 (of 10) beloved dogs got poisoned, there is almost certainly either a culprit, who did not even try to reason with the owner, or a culprit who tried (thus why she has an idea, who might have done that?) to do that, but found just deaf ears.

Sorry about the dogs, but the owners are mostly minimum half of the problem.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nivram said:

I love dogs.

I have one myself.

I am curious.

That is a lot of barking at night if they stay outside.

Whilst I agree having 10 dogs as pets is arguably excessive, it does not give anyone the right to poison them. Should we consider similar with large families? Who the hell thinks they are God?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

organisations who often have no government funding and rely on donations to operate.

If only Russell Crowe had tweeted a photo of street dogs the government may have acted. Probably not in the most humane way though. Like when the cats in Lumphini park disappeared one night.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stayed at an AirBnB in Rawai that was this beautiful huge villa, but to get there you had to drive past a shanty town. There were probably 15-20 dogs that would roam around as a pack and snarl and snap at anyone who would get close, but they all belonged to one family. That one family would leave their gate open 24/7. When I complained to the AirBnB owner that it was brutal getting past the dogs, she said she'd go talk to the family and ask again if they'd close the gate and keep the mongrels on their property. The next day she said she spoke with them, but the family said the dogs were happier roaming around so they didn't want to control them.
So, the next time they snapped at my feet as I rode by, I stomped one of them square on the snout, and kicked another one in the mouth, and I guess their howling and yelping convinced the others that it hurt and they should probably stop. Next time I rode by, the whole pack tucked their tails in and tried to hide behind barrels or whatever else. They'd still bark but never tried to snap at my feet again.

All this to say...I totally understand why LIVING next to something like that would drive a person absolutely insane.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

However, in most cases, making yourself look big, growling and stomping your feet at the dog is usually enough to scare it off. 

That's bad advice (except in niche cases and certainly in the long run): when dogs encounter aggressive behavior (when people growl/stomp/throw rocks) or submissive behavior (like running away), they get more aggressively defensive next time. It upholds a vicious cycle.

Better advice: stay calm, don't acknowledge that a fight might ensue (no eye-contact), confidently claim your space for your own and - most importantly - radiate that you're in complete control. If you can do that, the potential problem is almost certainly negated for you (and diminished for those that follow).

• Like 2

Most dogs, I have been close to, in Thailand, and not only the "just barking at everyone" doggies, are quickly leaving you alone, by just "grabbing" something from the ground. 

My guess, almost every dog had a stick or a stone thrown at them, the one or the other time. 

On the other hand, in case I have to pass there more often, I try "to befriend them". Nothing is more anoying as dogs barking for no reason at you.

2 hours ago, Chatogaster said:

That's bad advice (except in niche cases and certainly in the long run): when dogs encounter aggressive behavior (when people growl/stomp/throw rocks) or submissive behavior (like running away), they get more aggressively defensive next time. It upholds a vicious cycle.

Better advice: stay calm, don't acknowledge that a fight might ensue (no eye-contact), confidently claim your space for your own and - most importantly - radiate that you're in complete control. If you can do that, the potential problem is almost certainly negated for you (and diminished for those that follow).

The neighbor down the soi was being peppered and stalked after returning from his afternoon bicycle ride by the lords of the soi .Soon there after  he got off his bike and threw it at the pack! Those dogs got the hint.

7 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

First of all, poisoning a dog is nothing else than a crime, it might put the animal in pain and terrible suffering, and ultimately it's not the dogs fault. With that said, what would you do if you had a mentaly ill neighbor with 10 dogs who bite you and your kids, bark all night, shit all over the place etc? That's one reson why I wouldn't buy a house,  1 year rent is long enough....

(Of course, in this particular case, it could be a serial dog killer out there, who knows?)

Remember we are talking about Thailand here, Buddhists will feed stray dogs as part of their beliefs. Someone that takes in strays is not mentally ill they are helping lesser souls and seeking good karma. 

• Like 3

The article gives the impression of having been written a little slapdash and a liberal smattering of generalizations regards soi dogs, a topic that divides many. Articles written in this manner will simply add fuel to the embers. 

The estimate on soi dogs in Thailand is nearer 8 million. 

‘Many have no owners….many have owners’ is an interesting conundrum. 

PAWS Bangkok supports cats, not dogs. 

Please do reach out to some of the other groups listed if writing again on this subject. Although heavily overworked and underfunded, these fantastic people will always take time to educate on the issue. 

• Like 2

Its a common occurence in the 'southern' provinces unfortunately :(
Ive fed groups of soi dogs at times, if you get spotted, the anti dog brigade will make sure theres no more dogs turning up to be fed anymore.

I can understand the persons frustration

I have two dogs which ae in the house in teh evenings and during daytime in and out of the house

In the village i live in there are several stray dogs underfed ,some with mange etc. and all barking at night

I can assure you there are times I feel like poisoning the dogs and there are poisons which work instantly inside ten seconds

If this lady was my neighbor I sure as fate would have made a plan with these dogs if they were a nuisance

Dogs are only what the owners make of them

• Like 1