News Forum - Chakri Day 2022: All you need to know about Thailand’s public holiday

Thaiger

Chakri Memorial Day is an annual public holiday that’s observed on April 6 in Thailand. Officially called “King Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke the Great Day” and “Chakri Dynasty Memorial Day”, the holiday commemorates the coronation of General Chao Phraya Chakri as Phra Buddha Yodfa Chulaloke, aka Rama I, establishing the Chakri Dynasty in 1782. One of King Rama I’s first significant actions was to declare Krung Thep — i.e. Bangkok — the Siamese capital, moving the court from the west to the east bank of the Chao Phraya River. Chakri Day is therefore a time to commemorate Rama I’s coronation. Practically […]

The story Chakri Day 2022: All you need to know about Thailand’s public holiday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

10 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

while hospitals and shopping malls will stay open 

Is there any holiday when hospitals are closed? 🤔

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Transam said:

LOH, Land of holidays.....🤔

Unfortunately for me, I needed to go to the bank today about a swallowed ATM card, and not by me.......🥴

Work, work, work. There's no rest for the wicked, mate. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Transam said:

LOH, Land of holidays.....🤔

Unfortunately for me, I needed to go to the bank today about a swallowed ATM card, and not by me.......🥴

It’s happened to us all. Part of the problem is that the card comes out after the cash. In the U.K. it’s the other way around. No one leaves an ATM without the money, but many grab the cash (especially after a bottle of beer!) and forget the card. 

Time to upgrade and use the cardless way of getting cash out the machines. The old dinosaur Bangkok Bank have that option so I’m sure the others must? 

Good luck with your card and hope they don’t sting you for a new one!  

• Like 1

it would be good if you at least explained what the word Chakri means, didnt occur to you? it is one of the names of God Vishnu and refers to how weapon (Chakra). Do some historic research too Thaiger? always too westocentric