News Forum - Thailand inflation jumps 5.73 percent in March, hits consumers’ wallets

Thaiger

In March, Thailand’s inflation saw the highest monthly jump in 13 years, rising to 5.73% year on year. That’s according to the Commerce Ministry’s Office of Trade Policy and Strategy, which pins the blame on the war in Ukraine, which has pushed up fuel, food and electricity prices. This unexpected turn of events has caused the office to adjust its figures for the year, which they had hoped would be one of recovery for the languishing Thai economy after two years of pandemic. In response, the office has increased its 2022 inflation projection to 4.5% from 0.7%-2.4%, after recording an […]

The story Thailand inflation jumps 5.73 percent in March, hits consumers’ wallets as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

6 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

promoting the growth and recovery of the tourism

The best "promotion" would be to scrap the TP and all tests on arrival.

• Like 1

meat up more than 5.7 percent.

TAT calculator being used again.

I'd love to know where they get their meat so cheap, certainly not my area.

• Like 1

worked out my own inflation increase just 2 days ago,  Petrol and food costs, plus increase in electricity, I recon 10% increase in my personal costs over the past 12 months.  Brutal if this continues. 

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

worked out my own inflation increase just 2 days ago,  Petrol and food costs, plus increase in electricity, I recon 10% increase in my personal costs over the past 12 months.  Brutal if this continues. 

You could try walking more and eating less? 😀

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I remember when GBP/THB went down to 38.......

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Weak baht helps a bit, electricity prices rising will be the real budget buster. 

Oh this is bad economic news. I had better exchange some money before the Baht strengthens. 

Bad economic news in Thailand such as military coups, political instability, loss of 12% GDP for 2 years = Strengthening Baht

Boris Johnston paints his flat, Number 10 cat scratch PM = Pound loses 2% of value.

Go figure …. 

This will not end as long as Thailand's central bank keeps printing money to keep the baht "weak" against other currencies.  Inflation is the printing of money, rising prices is often the result of inflation.  Stop printing money = no more inflation typically resulting in falling prices.  But since the same people who run the central banks control the school systems people dont seem to understand this anymore.  Curious how that happened 

• Like 1

So convenient for all governments to blame the Russia/Ukraine war for inflation when it's really the money printing that is the cause for most countries being in hyper inflation.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Saunk said:

So convenient for all governments to blame the Russia/Ukraine war for inflation when it's really the money printing that is the cause for most countries being in hyper inflation.

The CPI in Thailand is under control?