Work Permit Required

My Thai wife is a food street vendor.  She spends hours preparing food at home and additional hours selling from her food stand.  Am I allowed under Thai law to assist my wife in her work?  Does it require a work permit? What does this kind of work permit cost?  Where do I apply. 

Everything I have seen on line relates to someone who has an employer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

Am I allowed under Thai law to assist my wife in her work? 

Who can see what you do at home?  

The work can also be done by a Thai, so I think there is little chance to do this legally.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BainaiThai said:

My Thai wife is a food street vendor.  She spends hours preparing food at home and additional hours selling from her food stand.  Am I allowed under Thai law to assist my wife in her work?  Does it require a work permit? What does this kind of work permit cost?  Where do I apply. 

Hello BainaiThai, If you are a foreigner who came into Thailand legally, then you are governed by the type of visa you have.  If you came into Thailand illegally, then you can do anything. (kidding)  

On a more serious note, the way things work in Thailand is:  Many rules & restrictions and the Thais don't even follow them, and break them.  I have seen many restaurants that run by foreigners, but are under disguised as "helper without pay."  It is a delicate walk that you must not handle money and must only be seen as helping.  

Being a farang (not easily blend into Thai crowd), you have to play by the rules.  I love Thai people, but they seem fearful, and nosy into other people's business.  Best for foreigners to try to blend in, be friendly & never get into confrontation about anything.  Smile a lot. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Thank you dimitri and Jim LimU.   I am a respectful guest here and indeed play by all the rules.  This was my first adventure online with Thaiger...I appreciate the prompt and informative responses.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 9:34 AM, BainaiThai said:

I remember a story from a few years back with someone in your situation.  The police arrested him for helping his wife at her food stall in a night market.

You can help her at home, but the BiB might very well look askance at you helping your wife on the street.

You are right, in that you can't get a work permit for this.  In order to do that, your wife's business would have to have 2 million baht in capitalization in order to hire you.  Again, though because it's a job that a Thai can do, you'd have to come up with a fancy title in order to make it "legal".

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, BainaiThai said:

I met a Frenchman doing exactly what you want to do last year in Bangkok.  I have no idea if what he was doing was legal and he suddenly disappeared before I could ask him more about it.  He claimed to be the owner of the business and his wife was his employee.  

Thanks for the reply, sir and the information.  I am going to talk to immigration when I extend my visa this fall...

• 8 months later...