News Forum - Rare sea creatures spotted in Krabi, southern Thailand

Thaiger

Rare marine animals were spotted enjoying Thailand’s coastal waters last week in Krabi, southern Thailand. Dugongs (manatee’s little cousins), humpback dolphins and sea turtles were seen from above in an aerial survey conducted by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) from March 27 – April 1. A total of 34 dugongs, colloquially known as “sea cows”, were seen munching on seagrass in Krabi’s waters, including seven pairs of mother and calf. The prevalence of mother-calf pairings indicates that dugongs are breeding in abundance. This is good news for the species which is listed as vulnerable to extinction by […]

The story Rare sea creatures spotted in Krabi, southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Dugongs (manatee’s little cousins), humpback dolphins and sea turtles were seen from above in an aerial survey conducted by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) from March 27 – April 1."

This a nice story, and something needed in these times of horrid news.

I often hear people talk about their 'Rights'; the Right to do this, the Right to do that, the Right not to have to tolerate this, etc., etc., etc.

However, a very wise man often told me that "...With every Right there is a Responsibility".

If we humans are going to run the planet, and we are, then we need to sit down and have a long look at our responsibilities. Further, I think we need to raise those responsibilities to the same level as our Rights. Finally, perhaps we need to develop a system whereby whenever we act towards our 'Rights', we MUST act equally toward our responsibilities in lockstep.

What kind of an 'Advanced' species destroys all other living beings in pursuit of its own ends?

The kind that eventually destroys itself.

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

"Dugongs (manatee’s little cousins), humpback dolphins and sea turtles were seen from above in an aerial survey conducted by the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMCR) from March 27 – April 1."

This a nice story, and something needed in these times of horrid news.

I often hear people talk about their 'Rights'; the Right to do this, the Right to do that, the Right not to have to tolerate this, etc., etc., etc.

However, a very wise man often told me that "...With every Right there is a Responsibility".

If we humans are going to run the planet, and we are, then we need to sit down and have a long look at our responsibilities. Further, I think we need to raise those responsibilities to the same level as our Rights. Finally, perhaps we need to develop a system whereby whenever we act towards our 'Rights', we MUST act equally toward our responsibilities in lockstep.

What kind of an 'Advanced' species destroys all other living beings in pursuit of its own ends?

The kind that eventually destroys itself.

Shame, your comment started nicely... "we humans"?? Let's start with Putin, Zelenski and Biden "to sit down". Then the 26 richest people "to sit down" with the 50% poorest people in the world (https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/21/world-26-richest-people-own-as-much-as-poorest-50-per-cent-oxfam-report). The covid vax-fanatics "to sit down" with the (real) anti-vax. The Israeli government "to sit down" with the Palestinian Hamas. Prayut "to sit down" with the jailed activists. Ok, I stop now, you got the point. Sure all humans will sit down, abandon their own selfish interests in order to save the planet. When a dystopian mind meets utopia.

"If you want to see a dugong, you’re more likely to see one in the waters of Trang province, just south of Krabi. Koh Libong, Koh Mook, Hat Chao Mai National Park, Sikao and Koh Sukorn are dugong hotspots if you want to be in with a chance at swimming with the wild sea cows."

One of the good things to come out of the huge drop in tourist numbers - but people should not be encouraged to swim with them.

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

dugongs are breeding in abundance

Sweet. I’ve never eaten a dugong /s

Seriously though, maybe Covid has been good for one thing? Less people on the water seems to have resulted in a possible increase in marine life or at least more sightings leading to awareness. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking. 

7 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Sweet. I’ve never eaten a dugong /s

The meat is actually quite sweet. Due to the abundant fat it is very marbled not unlike a high quality Wagyu. Appropriate since they are called the cows of the sea /s