News Forum - Are tourists flooding back to Thailand? | GMT

Thaiger

Are Tourists flooding back to Thailand? PM Prayut wants to fix Bangkok’s smelly canals, Renting SF Cinema halls to play games, TAT partners with Air Asia, True and DTAC merger and more coming up on todays Good Morning Thailand with Jay and Tim.

The story Are tourists flooding back to Thailand? | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Are Tourists flooding back to Thailand? PM Prayut wants to fix Bangkok’s smelly canals, Renting SF Cinema halls to play games,

Comparing the 3 above, I believe renting Cinema halls has the greatest chance of success.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "trick" is what one defines as "flooding". My best guess is rather a "trickle" of incoming tourists rather than a "flooding" until Thailand finally realizes that the "Thai Pass"  needs to be scrapped to change the current situation.

• Like 2

While there is a pent up demand for tourists, there is no reason to take a chance on coming to Thailand.  Most tourists need  to plan a holiday 2-3 months in advance.  They are unlikely to gamble on Thailand being welcoming with it's constant changing.

It's rules and requirements change as often as the weather and it no longer offers attractions that can be found, more easily, elsewhere.

Baht still over valued.  So many business' closed.  Dual pricing.  Pretending COVID is really under control yet they are worried about a lack of ventilator machines.  And, with low season swiftly approaching, things will get worse.

• Like 1

Tourists are flooding all over the world. Especially to countries where they only need to show proof of vaccination. Or a negative pre-departure PCR test. And where they do not have to use a facemask.

They do not flood to countries where they are at risk of being locked up for 2 weeks if a PCR test on arrival turns out positive. That is not a nice start of a 3 week holiday.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Tourists are flooding all over the world. Especially to countries where they only need to show proof of vaccination. Or a negative pre-departure PCR test. And where they do not have to use a facemask.

They do not flood to countries where they are at risk of being locked up for 2 weeks if a PCR test on arrival turns out positive. That is not a nice start of a 3 week holiday.

31 million people visited Mexico in 2021............they just lifted their mask mandate(even have to wear outdoors) this month

Tests, yes, a concern

A mask, not many people get too concerned over them

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

A mask, not many people get too concerned over them

It’s not a normal way to spend your holiday though, is it? Europe and America are big continents. Why not stay there and don’t get caught up in this 2nd or 3rd world stupidity? These people do not understand what is going on. Gullible doesn’t even come close to describing it 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s not a normal way to spend your holiday though, is it? Europe and America are big continents. Why not stay there and don’t get caught up in this 2nd or 3rd world stupidity? These people do not understand what is going on. Gullible doesn’t even come close to describing it 

He said people won't go because of mask mandates........I just showed 31mil did

We went to Mexico last summer........

It wasn't bad at all...........I'd rather not have had to but..................

At resort didn't need to wear at pool, which we were at most of the day

Wore walking around Cancun(hot but not unbreable)

When got to small island, no locals wore masks and we did not either

And I think it will be very similar in Thailand, I am not concerned..............

There is a very old song from England, it starts, "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa , dear Lisa, there's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa, a hole.

As the song goes on it turns into a circular set off requirements which is what is going on in Thailand.

Thailand has to get itself vaccinated which is not happening, many people do not want to take the vaccines.

If it does get to that point and then stops all the restrictions as has happened here in the UK then you will see the number of cases rises dramatically which has happened here.

1,000,000 extra cases in just one week. 

I know three people who currently have the virus and had not had it before.

But as we have mostly been vaccinated we can live with it, the people I know are sick to the level of a bad flu, no treatment needed other than aspirin etc.

But that can not happen in Thailand until they get vaccinated so all the other ideas can come and go unless they want to fully open up and then have deaths, hospitals full, no transport etc due to illness.

There is only one way to do it so do it.

On 4/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, Thaiger said:

Are Tourists flooding back to Thailand? PM Prayut wants to fix Bangkok’s smelly canals, Renting SF Cinema halls to play games, TAT partners with Air Asia, True and DTAC merger and more coming up on todays Good Morning Thailand with Jay and Tim.

The story Are tourists flooding back to Thailand? | GMT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

After two years of reading about how Thailand has responded to the pandemic regarding opening their borders, I just don't see how they will abandon the Thailand Pass. I haven't dealt with visa extensions or any other Thai government agency. But reading the accounts about the increasing bureaucracy year after year and the needless complication, the Thailand Pass presents itself as something too good to resist for the government going forward. I expect that testing in some form and required travel insurance will become standard. Especially with 15 minute ATK and local insurance companies cashing in because foreign companies aren't covering all the gaps. 

Just look at how they are responding in advance of Songkran with roadside swabs. Governments love to put on a show in an attempt to prove they are in control. The Thailand Pass, like taking off your shoes at the airport, is sadly here to stay. 

Eventually I will make the trip back to Thailand even if the Thailand Pass continues to exist. And I imagine in a few years, I will forget what it was like before. I will plan in advance. Just like now when I choose what shoes I wear to the airport. 

2 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

After two years of reading about how Thailand has responded to the pandemic regarding opening their borders, I just don't see how they will abandon the Thailand Pass. I haven't dealt with visa extensions or any other Thai government agency. But reading the accounts about the increasing bureaucracy year after year and the needless complication, the Thailand Pass presents itself as something too good to resist for the government going forward. I expect that testing in some form and required travel insurance will become standard. Especially with 15 minute ATK and local insurance companies cashing in because foreign companies aren't covering all the gaps. 

Just look at how they are responding in advance of Songkran with roadside swabs. Governments love to put on a show in an attempt to prove they are in control. The Thailand Pass, like taking off your shoes at the airport, is sadly here to stay. 

Eventually I will make the trip back to Thailand even if the Thailand Pass continues to exist. And I imagine in a few years, I will forget what it was like before. I will plan in advance. Just like now when I choose what shoes I wear to the airport. 

A little fact 

My BIL was the one who implemented or pushed for taking your shoes off at the airport 

He was the arresting officer of the Shoebomber and was in charge of Boston Logan Airport after 9/11

Asshole  5555

On 4/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

Out of the 4 people from Oz I know who are planning trips into asia   1 is coming to Thailan, 3 are off to Bali

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

A little fact 

My BIL was the one who implemented or pushed for taking your shoes off at the airport 

He was the arresting officer of the Shoebomber and was in charge of Boston Logan Airport after 9/11

Asshole  5555

I get that at the time, something needed to be done. But certainly 20 years later there should be some advancement in technology to detect explosives. Or at a minimum, some genetic enhancements to beagles.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JamesR said:

There is a very old song from England, it starts, "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Lisa , dear Lisa, there's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa, a hole.

As the song goes on it turns into a circular set off requirements which is what is going on in Thailand.

Thailand has to get itself vaccinated which is not happening, many people do not want to take the vaccines.

If it does get to that point and then stops all the restrictions as has happened here in the UK then you will see the number of cases rises dramatically which has happened here.

But as we have mostly been vaccinated we can live with it, the people I know are sick to the level of a bad flu, no treatment needed other than aspirin etc.

But that can not happen in Thailand until they get vaccinated so all the other ideas can come and go unless they want to fully open up and then have deaths, hospitals full, no transport etc due to illness.

You are obviously not in Thailand. If your assumption is based on 20000+ "cases" (ha ha ha) in Thailand vs 1 million in a week in the UK (pointless number, mass testing is just as useless than mass vaccination as the numbers below are showing clearly), then you should do some rethinking.

Firstly, I have described a few times what is happening around me the past 2/3 months. I very doubt it is just happening here and not everywhere in Thailand, people I know in other places in Thailand confirm that indeed it is. Basically, it is now easier here where I am to count people who have NOT had covid the past 2/3 months. We pratically ALL got it, including myself. And indeed with the same symptoms you describe, and that includes 3 people I know personally who are NOT vaccinated by the way. Omicron entered Thailand end of December,how would it not be everywhere by now as it happened everywhere worlwide? Well simply cause it is. If Thailand was to do the same pointless mass testing as you still do in the UK, garanteed the number of "cases" would be very similar.

Secondly, numbers...

But as we have mostly been vaccinated we can live with it,

Thailand completed vaccinaton: 71.96%  (https://covidvax.live/location/tha)

UK completed vaccination: 72.59% (https://covidvax.live/location/gbr)

Thailand covid deaths April 5: 91

UK covid deaths April 5: 368

Yes, only one way, live your life and stop worrying too much about covid, there are multitudes of other ways to die. Keep your mask on and social distancing if it makes you happy and let everyone else do as they wish. But FFS, please stop spreading your fearmonging, keep it to yourself, nobody is listening to this narrative anymore.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And I think it will be very similar in Thailand, I am not concerned..............

Well I can’t speak for everywhere in Thailand, but in all of the places I’ve been over the last few months, mask wearing is almost 100% by local Thais. A trip to the shopping mall now means and hour or more of walking around with a mask on. Going for dinner means putting a mask on when you get out of your car, walking in to the restaurant and then sitting for an hour without it on! Oh, unless you want to use the toilet and then you have to put it back on and then take it off once seated. It’s utterly ridiculous at this stage of the pandemic and all we know of this virus. You stop at 7/11 and it’s mask on, or they will ask you to wear one as you enter. Even outside with a fresh breeze blowing the Thais are wearing masks. And even while riding motorbikes at 80km they are wearing them. It’s illogical and not what you need on a “holiday”

• Like 2

Here is pre-panemic levels.  I don't think Thailand is anywhere close to that now.  One only has to look at occupancy rates in hotels to determine tourist levels.  While it is off the dead bottom the January rate was still only 35% occupancy and remember the June - August numbers are low season and January is typically high season.  

image.thumb.png.fdf75f41b11dc17f731fe0ea8df08311.png

image.thumb.png.596585735583c2df321e00a0e1ffa978.png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well I can’t speak for everywhere in Thailand, but in all of the places I’ve been over the last few months, mask wearing is almost 100% by local Thais. A trip to the shopping mall now means and hour or more of walking around with a mask on. Going for dinner means putting a mask on when you get out of your car, walking in to the restaurant and then sitting for an hour without it on! Oh, unless you want to use the toilet and then you have to put it back on and then take it off once seated. It’s utterly ridiculous at this stage of the pandemic and all we know of this virus. You stop at 7/11 and it’s mask on, or they will ask you to wear one as you enter. Even outside with a fresh breeze blowing the Thais are wearing masks. And even while riding motorbikes at 80km they are wearing them. It’s illogical and not what you need on a “holiday”

Almost none of that will bother me and most I do here already 

I don't wear a mask outdoors except sometimes I forgot to take it off walking home 

I wear a mask in all retail stores

I already wear a face covering when I ride a MB in Thailand, so will just be the same for me.

Even better now, I used to wrap a big scarf around but now learned about gators to wear

And I honestly don't think I will have too many issues not wearing a mask on the beach 

So none of it will bother me at all

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't wear a mask outdoors except sometimes I forgot to take it off walking home 

I already wear a face covering when I ride a MB in Thailand, so will just be the same for me.

Even better now, I used to wrap a big scarf around but now learned about gators to wear

And I honestly don't think I will have too many issues not wearing a mask on the beach 

Yes that’s fine and suits you as an individual. I just think for the majority of people coming from a country in Europe, it will feel like stepping back 3-6 months in to the pandemic and hence will feel at least odd and at worse frustrating.

Would you go to a place where the reviews are saying it’s restrictive, bars closing depending on how the local police feel that day, frustrating and an odd feeling to the place.  I still think that unless you have a reason to visit Thailand this year, then there are much better options closer to home. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesR said:

100% spot on! The Thais still don’t understand the basics of this virus. They still think it’s about controlling numbers and then they can open. Well carry on, and when you do the deaths will go back up. How can they be so blind ? I guess if they can hold on until a new government is formed then they can blame them when things go wrong. You never know, may even justify another coup if Covid deaths increase. 

Flying tonight so I can judge for myself how many tourists are coming.

The plane didn't look very full when I selected my seat earlier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

It’s illogical and not what you need on a “holiday”

I agree 100% .

Well I can’t speak for everywhere in Thailand, but in all of the places I’ve been over the last few months, mask wearing is almost 100% by local Thais. A trip to the shopping mall now means and hour or more of walking around with a mask on. Going for dinner means putting a mask on when you get out of your car, walking in to the restaurant and then sitting for an hour without it on! Oh, unless you want to use the toilet and then you have to put it back on and then take it off once seated. It’s utterly ridiculous at this stage of the pandemic and all we know of this virus. You stop at 7/11 and it’s mask on, or they will ask you to wear one as you enter. Even outside with a fresh breeze blowing the Thais are wearing masks. And even while riding motorbikes at 80km they are wearing them.

Same where I am although a larger by the day ex-pat crowd and some Thai friends have given up unless going to the shops where you have to (some do not care). But in the village and on bikes (and even on the beach or alone in the jungle...I am not even joking), it is almost 100% amongst Thais, including the poor little kids. It did not stop pratically all of us to catch covid the past 2/3 months, wether you are not wearing it or do so 24/7, no difference....well, of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Good for you. Personally it bothers me a great deal.

Firstly, that adults wish to be stupid, fine with me. But to force tiny kids to wear it even when there is anybody around on the beach or else, to me it is an abomination.

Secondly, I never wear one apart from the rare occasions where I really must go to a shop (I usually send my partner). I personally genuinely and honestly cannot breath with it and it gives me almost instant rashes, even worse when it is really hot. Everyone knows each other here, all restaurants and most shops do not care if you arrive unmasked even when they do wear it themselves, which is quasi all of them of course as they have to as businesses. 3 months ago, it was a little different but since we almost all got covid anyway since, it is even more useless than ever and people start to realise that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Flying tonight so I can judge for myself how many tourists are coming.

The plane didn't look very full when I selected my seat earlier. 

Where are you flying in from mate?