News Forum - Update: Police arrest Asoke gold necklace thief, trans woman wanted to pay of gambling debt

Thaiger

Police have arrested a transgender woman who allegedly stole a gold necklace off the body of a farang in Bangkok’s Asoke neighbourhood last week, after a video of the incident went viral. The thief reportedly said she stole the golden accessory because she’d lost her job and had to pay off a gambling debt. CCTV footage of the incident shows the 30-year-old trans thief pretended to hug the unsuspecting Western man while he was walking on the sidewalk along Sukhumvit Road. He didn’t notice her quick hands nimbly snatch the golden necklace from around his neck while he recorded a […]

The story Update: Police arrest Asoke gold necklace thief, trans woman wanted to pay of gambling debt as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

16 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

she’d lost her job

Right....... "She" is a prostitute and professional thieve who've lost costumers  and victims hug due to the pandemic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Police have arrested a transgender woman who allegedly stole a gold necklace off the body of a farang in Bangkok’s Asoke neighbourhood last week, after a video of the incident went viral. The thief reportedly said she stole the golden accessory because she’d lost her job and had to pay off a gambling debt. CCTV footage of the incident shows the 30-year-old trans thief pretended to hug the unsuspecting Western man while he was walking on the sidewalk along Sukhumvit Road. He didn’t notice her quick hands nimbly snatch the golden necklace from around his neck while he recorded a […]

The story Update: Police arrest Asoke gold necklace thief, trans woman wanted to pay of gambling debt as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

well here a shout out to thai police...they really go after thieves...good police work...in the west...u can experience a complete lack of interest from police...also no punishment...it goes like this...ok i write the report u claim ur insurance...if they by chance catch the thief...the court let him go free cause he is a poor victim of his upbringing...case closed...thailand good land at least in this case

12 minutes ago, dingdong said:

well here a shout out to thai police...they really go after thieves...good police work...in the west...u can experience a complete lack of interest from police...also no punishment...it goes like this...ok i write the report u claim ur insurance...if they by chance catch the thief...the court let him go free cause he is a poor victim of his upbringing...case closed...thailand good land at least in this case

They did all of the above because of the media attention, mainly the video.

And I doubt, that this "she" will stay long in prison.

I am wondering, that the guy did not act a little "pushy" , while something unknown wanted to hug him.

Even without Covid, I would not wanna let that happen.

Oh, anyone read something about the dealer of this "she", who wanted to repay debts ( most read excuse, these days, from pick pockets and thiefs, methinks)? The gold shop is part of the problem, receiving stolen goods. And from a Thai national , a western standard necklace, not even a baht clasp (judged by the time "she" needed), assumingly only 585, in best case 750, not the prefered 23k gold in Thailand, should raise suspicion anyway.

So, the police is going after this dealer of stolen goods? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

And I doubt, that this "she" will stay long in prison

Repeat offender so “she” won’t be eligible for any sentence reduction until the first general amnesty AFTER August 2024. 99.99% possibility of being refused parole after 1/3 served for the same reason. So an absolute bare minimum of 2 years & 4 months to serve even if ”she” pleads guilty and receives a 50% sentence reduction for that “co-operation”. I’d bet a 26,000 baht necklace on release after 3+ years served. 

29 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

For sure. The accused will co-operate with the police in the hope of getting a maximum 50% sentence reduction from the judge in return for “helping the police”, pleading guilty and expressing overwhelming remorse that her actions have stained Thailand’s reputation and cast a shadow on the tourism sector. If it is a gold shop involved then the owner won’t face charges and has to give the necklace to the police. And the police will get a photo op and or a “gift” from the foreigner for returning the necklace. 

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

The mirror they look in would most probably be a good place to start.

6 hours ago, Guest1 said:

So follow up, then

THIS.....I dont just want the story and mug shot  i want to know the actual "punishment".....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

THIS.....I dont just want the story and mug shot  i want to know the actual "punishment".....

So go and visit “her” in prison in about 2 or 3 months when “she” will be sentenced. You know you want to ……. 

• Cool 1

15 hours ago, Fanta said:

So go and visit “her” in prison in about 2 or 3 months when “she” will be sentenced. You know you want to ……. 

Which prison?  Will they let me bring her somtum and flowers?....or maybe rob a bank for shared cell???

9 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Which prison?  Will they let me bring her somtum and flowers?....or maybe rob a bank for shared cell???

Probably Bangkok Remand Prison. You  cannot legally bring anything for a prisoner, only pay money into their store account and purchase items at the prison store.  Ladyboys have their own cell so sadly there is no sweet spooning on the concrete floor under the pleasant glow of the constantly lit fluorescent lights. Why not pay “her” bail and enjoy the gobbling gratitude? Just make sure they put a GPS tracking device on it so you get your 200,000baht bail money back. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fanta said:

Probably Bangkok Remand Prison. You  cannot legally bring anything for a prisoner, only pay money into their store account and purchase items at the prison store.  Ladyboys have their own cell so sadly there is no sweet spooning on the concrete floor under the pleasant glow of the constantly lit fluorescent lights. Why not pay “her” bail and enjoy the gobbling gratitude? Just make sure they put a GPS tracking device on it so you get your 200,000baht bail money back. 

(heads to ATM and 7-11 for snacks)

When will the stolen necklace be returned to the owner ? 
Is it required to tip the police for the return of the necklace ?

is there a law in Thailand to not buy stolen property ?

On 4/3/2022 at 11:18 PM, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This is the awoken retelling of Les Miserables that the world has been waiting for.

1 hour ago, Alotofshopping said:

When will the stolen necklace be returned to the owner ? 
Is it required to tip the police for the return of the necklace ?

is there a law in Thailand to not buy stolen property ?

The necklace will be returned when the press, uninvolved senior cops and farang are available to take the mandatory photos for dissemination on the Interwebs. Gifts are always appreciated in Thailand but a glowing statement from the farang reaffirming that this crime was a rarity in the Land of Honesty will probably suffice in this viral case. The gold shop has plausible deniability so they are out of pocket for the money paid to the thief and that will probably be the end of the matter.