List: China has over 50% of all foreign-owned condos in Thailand

Thaiger

12 minutes ago, Jumus said:

Can you list the condos they are buying the most so I know where to stay away from ? Asking for a friend. 

No, I can't, but if you try a post @KaptainRob , he may well have an answer or two.

Hello Jumus and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

Nearly 730,000 condominiums throughout Thailand are owned by Chinese nationals,

China has the biggest population of around 1.4 billion people in the world and makes total sense that its citizens will buy properties in other countries and no real shock with the headline of the article.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:20 PM, AlexPTY said:

Should not be surprising and Chinese were always shrewd and smart investors. China is almost fully recovered from covid and sitting on tons of cash now.

Let's face it, China is a superpower and while other superpowers trying to suppress China, they just do what they do best: buy and control.

Bangkok Bank: belong to Chinese conglomerate.... want to know more? Just search top 10 Thai corporations ownership on WiKi.

To see how bad things are in Thailand with regards to the Chinese, all you have to do is look up the billionaires in Thailand.  There are over twice as many billionaires in Thailand than there are in Australia - and our economy is 3 times the size of Thailand's.  But look closely at the pictures of all those 'Thai' billionares - do they all look like Thais as per the Royal family or those from the rural areas, or do they look like they are from Chinese descent/heritage?  An obvious physical trait is the 'moon' shaped head, but there are others too - google it.  There are almost 500,000 Chinese nationals living in Thailand which is a huge growth since 2015 when there were less than 100,000 - and unless something is done it will be like Fiji became before the military coups that started in 2000. Fiji has removed many people of Indian descent from positions of power and given most political power to indigenous Fijians, as opposed to the Indian descent Fijians.  Thailand is a long way from that but they are heading in that direction.  

12 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

To see how bad things are in Thailand with regards to the Chinese, all you have to do is look up the billionaires in Thailand.  There are over twice as many billionaires in Thailand than there are in Australia - and our economy is 3 times the size of Thailand's.  But look closely at the pictures of all those 'Thai' billionares - do they all look like Thais as per the Royal family or those from the rural areas, or do they look like they are from Chinese descent/heritage?  An obvious physical trait is the 'moon' shaped head, but there are others too - google it.  There are almost 500,000 Chinese nationals living in Thailand which is a huge growth since 2015 when there were less than 100,000 - and unless something is done it will be like Fiji became before the military coups that started in 2000. Fiji has removed many people of Indian descent from positions of power and given most political power to indigenous Fijians, as opposed to the Indian descent Fijians.  Thailand is a long way from that but they are heading in that direction.  

Forgive me if I dont but I'm not racist. There are 56 distinct ethnicities in China.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

To see how bad things are in Thailand with regards to the Chinese, all you have to do is look up the billionaires in Thailand.  There are over twice as many billionaires in Thailand than there are in Australia - and our economy is 3 times the size of Thailand's.  But look closely at the pictures of all those 'Thai' billionares - do they all look like Thais as per the Royal family or those from the rural areas, or do they look like they are from Chinese descent/heritage? 

Thank you, Bob. Where i was going with my original post is actually a heritage and business drive. Yes Bangkok Bank was established by Chin Sophonpanich, His father was a Chinese immigrant from Chaoyang, Shantou, Guangdong, China who worked at a sawmill. Chin was sent back to China for education, and upon returning to Thailand at 17, he took up his first job as a manual laborer. The CP Group traces its beginnings to a small seed shop named Chia Tai established in 1921 by Chinese brothers, Chia Exchor and Chia Seow Nooy.... and go on and go on...

You can try to sanction China and embargo it, but it only makes it stronger. Looks at how they handled pandemic with the vaccine efficacy everyone bith$% about...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

This is how the Chinese are taking over the world.  Slowly taking control of every valuable resources like in Tibet.  Tall mountains in Tibet created very large important water supply to many regions below it.  Now, they are building a canal through Laos & Thailand toward the Gulf of Thailand (about to become part of South China Sea.)  The Chinese already have their naval ships shooting at Vietnamese ships claiming their South China Sea territory.  The US owes much debts to China & the list goes on..https://hbr.org/2020/02/how-much-money-does-the-world-owe-china

What the average people are doing?  Well, we are being fed a bunch of conspiracies that we can no longer believe anything.  We are being bombarded with small stuffs that we don't see the big picture.  It is like being in slow cooking pot & we don't know it.   I for one, try my best not to buy Chinese made products like that from the #2 online sellers Alibaba.  spacer.png

• Cool 1

4 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

You can try to sanction China and embargo it, but it only makes it stronger. Looks at how they handled pandemic with the vaccine efficacy everyone bith$% about...

China handled pandemic as the Communist authoritarian country that it is.  The outside world would never know the truth how it started & how many of their citizens died.  There is no humanitarian treatment for its people, but the power of the government.  I rather die with my human right & freedom intact than to be control by this government.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

42 minutes ago, JimLimU said:

This is how the Chinese are taking over the world.  Slowly taking control of every valuable resources like in Tibet.  Tall mountains in Tibet created very large important water supply to many regions below it.  Now, they are building a canal through Laos & Thailand toward the Gulf of Thailand (about to become part of South China Sea.)  The Chinese already have their naval ships shooting at Vietnamese ships claiming their South China Sea territory.  The US owes much debts to China & the list goes on..https://hbr.org/2020/02/how-much-money-does-the-world-owe-china

What the average people are doing?  Well, we are being fed a bunch of conspiracies that we can no longer believe anything.  We are being bombarded with small stuffs that we don't see the big picture.  It is like being in slow cooking pot & we don't know it.   I for one, try my best not to buy Chinese made products like that from the #2 online sellers Alibaba.  spacer.png

So the Chinese are taking over the world, but have approximately 3 overseas military bases whilst the US has 800+. The US has waged war on 50+ sovereign nations since the end of WW2, China 2 or 3. China offers the belt and road initiative, the US offers bombs and weapons. What the spends on its war machine, China spends on its infrastructure. Let's not even compare the relative education systems and Woke culture. The world is tired of the US message of war war war, destroy destroy destroy, the world agrees with the Chinese message of trade trade trade, build build build. THAT is why China is winning and will win - in partnership, trading with other nations. Furthermore, if you were a little better informed about geopolitics and history you would know that the highly risky occupation of the SC Sea happened in direct response to the US military threatening to close the Malacca straits and so strangle Chinese trade, which is exactly why Japan attacked Pearl Harbour in WW2. You have a long way to go in your education.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Buttaxe said:

So the Chinese are taking over the world, but have approximately 3 overseas military bases whilst the US has 800+. The US has waged war on 50+ sovereign nations since the end of WW2, China 2 or 3. China offers the belt and road initiative, the US offers bombs and weapons. What the spends on its war machine, China spends on its infrastructure. Let's not even compare the relative education systems and Woke culture. The world is tired of the US message of war war war, destroy destroy destroy, the world agrees with the Chinese message of trade trade trade, build build build. THAT is why China is winning and will win - in partnership, trading with other nations. Furthermore, if you were a little better informed about geopolitics and history you would know that the highly risky occupation of the SC Sea happened in direct response to the US military threatening to close the Malacca straits and so strangle Chinese trade, which is exactly why Japan attacked Pearl Harbour in WW2. You have a long way to go in your education.

Some weighty arguments there, Buttaxe and an excellent debut post.

Hi, Buttaxe and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

11 minutes ago, Buttaxe said:

Buttaxe, you assume that I agree with the US government in ways that it handles the world politics.  I don't want to get too deep into politics, but I prefer the US Constitution over any communist & any authoritarian government.  Do you prefer one man ruling the nation for years & people don't get to choose?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buttaxe said:

highly risky occupation of the SC Sea happened in direct response to the US military threatening to close the Malacca straits and so strangle Chinese trade, which is exactly why Japan attacked Pearl Harbour in WW2. You have a long way to go in your education.

Wow that seems like quite a bit of revisionist history at best. The whole irony of a CCP apologist using Japan's WWII excuse against someone else aside. The US never threatened to close the Malacca strait, the claim is made from whole cloth. You know kinda like China's claim of a map that magically appeared showing a fuzzy nine dashed line to territory that belongs to other countries.  Fact is the occupation of the South China Sea has nothing to do with protecting trade, and everything to do with expanding it's territorial control (you know, basically what you just accused the US of doing). Regardless the SC sea bases wouldn't stop the US from closing the Malacca strait. They can't even protect themselves in a shooting war, let alone project enough power to keep a sea lane open. Yes they are good at scaring and controlling the area from the likes of Brunei and the Philippines. The US Navy not so much. The idea China created those bases to stop the US from closing the Malacca strait makes no military let alone any logical sense. It's absurd on it's face.  Fact is closing the strait is easy, you could do so with a single sub and there is little China could do to stop it. Keeping in mind the US has an Air Force and Navy base actually in Singapore, you know where the Malacca Strait actually resides. Not on islands closer to Hanoi and Manilla than the strait itself. However if you really wanted to hurt just China, and not everyone else you don't close the Malacca Strait. You instead sit a carrier battle group in the Indian ocean and filter every ship going in and out. Again there is nothing China could do to stop it.  Do that and in 30 days the lights go out in Shanghai. 

• Cool 1

13 hours ago, JimLimU said:

Buttaxe, you assume that I agree with the US government in ways that it handles the world politics.  I don't want to get too deep into politics, but I prefer the US Constitution over any communist & any authoritarian government.  Do you prefer one man ruling the nation for years & people don't get to choose?  

Simplistic view of the respective political systems, the US is a corporatocracy run by the corporations for the corporations with the illusion of democracy. China is run by the CCP as Iran is a theocracy, there are multiple factions within both systems competing for power and influence. If I had to choose the US or Chinese system, seeing how both systems treat their own citizens, I would choose the Chinese without hesitation. And by the way I lived and worked there for many years.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Wow that seems like quite a bit of revisionist history at best. The whole irony of a CCP apologist using Japan's WWII excuse against someone else aside. The US never threatened to close the Malacca strait, the claim is made from whole cloth. You know kinda like China's claim of a map that magically appeared showing a fuzzy nine dashed line to territory that belongs to other countries.  Fact is the occupation of the South China Sea has nothing to do with protecting trade, and everything to do with expanding it's territorial control (you know, basically what you just accused the US of doing). Regardless the SC sea bases wouldn't stop the US from closing the Malacca strait. They can't even protect themselves in a shooting war, let alone project enough power to keep a sea lane open. Yes they are good at scaring and controlling the area from the likes of Brunei and the Philippines. The US Navy not so much. The idea China created those bases to stop the US from closing the Malacca strait makes no military let alone any logical sense. It's absurd on it's face.  Fact is closing the strait is easy, you could do so with a single sub and there is little China could do to stop it. Keeping in mind the US has an Air Force and Navy base actually in Singapore, you know where the Malacca Strait actually resides. Not on islands closer to Hanoi and Manilla than the strait itself. However if you really wanted to hurt just China, and not everyone else you don't close the Malacca Strait. You instead sit a carrier battle group in the Indian ocean and filter every ship going in and out. Again there is nothing China could do to stop it.  Do that and in 30 days the lights go out in Shanghai. 

Well you lost me right after the stupid 'CCP apologist tag'. If that's the level of your intellect and discourse, talk to the hand.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Buttaxe said:

Well you lost me right after the stupid 'CCP apologist tag'. If that's the level of your intellect and discourse, talk to the hand.

I figured I would lose you early on regardless. Not surprised at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buttaxe said:

Simplistic view of the respective political systems, the US is a corporatocracy run by the corporations for the corporations with the illusion of democracy. China is run by the CCP as Iran is a theocracy, there are multiple factions within both systems competing for power and influence. If I had to choose the US or Chinese system, seeing how both systems treat their own citizens, I would choose the Chinese without hesitation. And by the way I lived and worked there for many years.

Buttaxe,  to each his own.  I am not against any Chinese person and I know there is no perfect governmental systems because there are too many opinions & beliefs.  Being rule by many heads have disadvantages & so is being rule by one man.  I am for working toward everyone's with equal rights & equal opportunities.  Yes, I am a dreamer, but China government is not it!!

• Like 1