Great Covers

Thaidup

When it comes to yodelling,  there is only one. From the OGWT in 1972..

Although this version by Iron Maiden (without Bruce Dickinson on vocals), meant Nicko McBrain took over the microphone duties...

Totally off topic, you don't need to be Austrian or Dutch to yodel...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WrightT said:

Totally off topic, you don't need to be Austrian or Dutch to yodel...

Somehow you can always oneup me with your clips.😛

Sorry, I put it on pause and went^^^ thatway.

• Like 1

For any Trekkies out there..

The original by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, with the dulcet tones of Vivian Stanshall on MC duties.

The line "Eric Clapton on Ukelele" is true, as both Viv and Eric were at Kingston College of Art (now part of Kingston University) together in '61.

WrightT, All wrighty mate, you are drifting off the OP, I am sure you have much better examples of "great covers" I honestly can't make sense of the last couple of posts as regards to covers, Do they have any thing to do with the Thai government relaxation of HoochyKooch laws? 😊 Said with the utmost love and respect👍

Put politics aside please, It is a great cover of a 50 year old song.👍

Original Helen Reddy song was about women.

And nice to see an Aussie song played in the USA.

Pretty much every song off Derek and the Dominos immortal album Layla and other assorted love songs was a masterpiece, but here’s one called Anyday.

The album was so powerful that Tedeschi Trucks Band covered the whole thing in 2019 ( Layla revisited), here’s their version of Anyday

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Original Helen Reddy song was about women.

This cover just put me off, more blokish than feminine, Those thigh's look like they could crush your face. LOL. If you would put it anywhere near there.😊

21 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Pretty much every song off Derek and the Dominos immortal album Layla and other assorted love songs was a masterpiece, but here’s one called Anyday.

Was written by Eric Clapton,

Both versions posted are great, now lets hear the writer sing it(with a little help) he is getting on in this one.

Thankyou DM for posting that cover, great music and a learning experience for me to remember this.👍

2 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Was written by Eric Clapton,

Both versions posted are great, now lets hear the writer sing it(with a little help) he is getting on in this one.

Thankyou DM for posting that cover, great music and a learning experience for me to remember this.👍

Actually EC co-wrote the song with Bobby Whitlock, the pair wrote most of the songs on the album except for 5 covers and EC’s own Layla ( written for Patti Boyd his obsession at the time despite her being the wife of his best friend George Harrison ). Whitlock and Clapton shared the vocals on Anyday in my previous post.

In an effort to reduce the media coverage, which Clapton blamed for the demise of his 2 supergroups ( as they were labelled ) Cream and Blind Faith, he chose the alias Derek and the Dominos. ( an urban legend that the name was originally Eric and the Dynamos and was mispronounced by the compère at one of their small gigs was later rebuffed by EC ).

Duane Allman showed an interest in wanting to see EC recording when their Derek and the Dominos alias was blown, Clapton went to see the Allmans in concert when he heard this and after being extremely impressed with Duane’s playing he invited him to play on the album. Through a mutual admiration they became great friends but unfortunately DA died from injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash in 1971 aged 24. Less than 1 year after the release of the iconic Layla album.

• Like 1

You tell me, does "Plastic" come to mind? I know, not a great cover, but lets hope this kind of crap dies a quick death.☹️

In between the pop songs the wigs and outrageous clothing  Elton John, together with writer Bernie Taupin , created some really spectacular music, talking about his earlier albums obviously.

This track, taken from Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only The Piano Player, became a favourite in his live shows.

Have Mercy On The Criminal 

Gov’t Mule , on a slight diversion from covering Pink Floyd songs, gave it a go replacing strings and piano with lead guitar.

Not a bad effort I think .

• Like 1

In a similar way to Elton, for me some of David Bowie’s better stuff was his non commercial songs. This one from the Aladdin Sane album is a hidden gem not receiving the acclaim it deserves.

Lady of the Grinning Soul.

A few covers out there, many instrumental for piano or acoustic guitar, but this one is, imho, a good attempt. A little too slow and theatrical for my taste and i think in this case the original wins hands down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A kind of cover of a cover. A Lithuanian busker, in Florida, trying Hard Sun. Fascinating process

The "original" cover that made the song famous

And the original, from one hit wonder Gordon Peterson

• Like 1

Maybe not the greatest cover, but credit to this hotel restaurant manager having a go at an uncensored version of a Radiohead classic.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 3:28 AM, lspab said:

A kind of cover of a cover. A Lithuanian busker, in Florida, trying Hard Sun. Fascinating process

The "original" cover that made the song famous

And the original, from one hit wonder Gordon Peterson

Great song, thanks👍 I love the original Indio version, downloaded

I stumbled across this one a few days ago. There are other covers about, but keeping with the meaning of the thread, I think that this is a good cover of the original👍

Duran Duran ? of all to cover this song? Edited(great cover)

On 6/11/2022 at 5:32 PM, WrightT said:

For any Trekkies out there..

could not resist this cover of a classic 50's tv show.