Great Covers

Thaidup

22 hours ago, WrightT said:

An Aussi classic, covered by Iron Maiden (pre Nicko McBrian and Bruce Dickinson)

What a great find for me, thanks for sharing this one, I grew up with Skyhooks, and Red on Hey Hey And then Shirly on that home improvement show, Great share thankyou.👍

• 2 weeks later...

The Animals recorded the original back in 1965, as written by husband and wife songwriters Bary Mann and Cynthia Weil, initially for the Righteous Brothers. However, ever the entrepreneur,  Micky Most heard the song in New York and recorded it  as The Animals producer before the song was offered to any one else. It's been covered by many artists over the years, Bruce, Alice Cooper and Bryan Adams to name but a few.

It still is  a main stay of cover bands around the world. Yet, to me the definitive version is the 1986 version by The Angels, who were brilliant live, especially "Am I ever gonna see your face again".

• Like 1

Slight twist, in that the "covers" include the original recording artists.

The original was on the 1977 album of the same name and written in collaboration between Bowie and Brian Eno. Fully recorded in Berlin over the summer with Tony Visconti on production duties.

Inspired by the recording location, David released a German version. This has more gravitas. He did record a French version as well, but his pronounciation  doesn't hold up as well.

Key behind the sound is Robert Fripp's guitar. Still gigging with King Crimson, with Tony Levin - Bass (ex  Peter Gabriel), Mel Collins - Sax & Keyboards  (ex Camel, Dire Straits, Alan Parsons etc), Jakko Jakszyk - vocals (ex Level 42 and actor), and 3 drummers, Pat Mastelotto (ex Mr. Mister, The Rembrants), Gavin Harrison (ex Level 42, Paul Young) and  Jeremy Stacey (Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Robbie Williams).

This live version was recorded in Berlin in 2016.

Closer to home, here's Mr and Mrs Fripp in their kitchen in Dorset  during lockdown, with the original Les Paul guitar.

• Like 2

I can't find the original of this cover song😃.

I will reluctantly post the videoclip as a callout to members that may know the original version👍

10 hours ago, Thaidup said:

I can't find the original of this cover song😃.

I will reluctantly post the videoclip as a callout to members that may know the original version👍

Hi Thaidup. I think it's the original by Italian DJ Alex Gaudino, or Gaudino Alfonso Fortunato to give him his full name. 

The name "Destination Unknown" did ring a bell, had to resort to the iPod, as have a version by Missing Persons. Band from the early 80's with drummer Terry Bozzio (ex Frank Zappa) , his wife Dale on vocals and guitatest Warren Cuccurullo (Durran Durran 1990's, replaced Andy Taylor).

There is also a version by Marietta Waters from the original 1986 Tony Scott's Top Gun.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:42 AM, Grumpish said:

So many covers of this one - Morning Dew by Bonnie Dobson, it was one of the standards from The Grateful Dead, even a version from the Scottish rock band, Nazareth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZXuuKwhVvI&list=TLPQMjkwNDIwMjIxvHIGw9lYOA&index=6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsOrZF4mL5c

Not so bad but this one blows them away.

• Like 2

Expanding on covers by the original artists in a foreign language,  here's one by Phil Collins from Disney's Tarzan.

o en español, con la versión karaoke

• Like 1

I like the Gypsy Kings’ cover of Hotel California. Almost the “Baja California” version I suppose. 

In the early 2000s, there was a huge place in Bang Saen called “Take it Easy Bar”, where most nights of the week the resident band would belt out Eagles covers. Best cover band I’ve ever seen. Sadly closed now.

• Like 2

Always thought Daryl wrote this, but just watched the 1996 Cameron Crowe film Jerry Maguire with Tom Cruise, Renee Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr and noticed this, turns out written by Ricky Lee Jones and Walter Becker (Steely Dan and ex China Crisis!).

• Like 2

As a live cover by the original artist, just found this. Did not expect this to sound so close to the original studio recording, or could be played live but with the calibre of the musicians involved, it's hardly surprising.

Trevor Horn's 2004 live show for the Princes Trust, showcasing some of the musicians he's worked with over the years. ABC, Buggles, Seal, Grace Jones, Frankie Goes to Hollywood to name but a few who joined him on stage. 

Somewhat poinient is that one of the drummers in this clip is Alan White of Yes, who passed away earlier this week. He was the first drummer on stage at the inorgrial Glastonbury in 1970, if you've ever seen the film, he was the one that delayed the start due to trying to finish his smoke!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:29 AM, WrightT said:

Slight twist, in that the "covers" include the original recording artists.

The original was on the 1977 album of the same name and written in collaboration between Bowie and Brian Eno. Fully recorded in Berlin over the summer with Tony Visconti on production duties.

Inspired by the recording location, David released a German version. This has more gravitas. He did record a French version as well, but his pronounciation  doesn't hold up as well.

Key behind the sound is Robert Fripp's guitar. Still gigging with King Crimson, with Tony Levin - Bass (ex  Peter Gabriel), Mel Collins - Sax & Keyboards  (ex Camel, Dire Straits, Alan Parsons etc), Jakko Jakszyk - vocals (ex Level 42 and actor), and 3 drummers, Pat Mastelotto (ex Mr. Mister, The Rembrants), Gavin Harrison (ex Level 42, Paul Young) and  Jeremy Stacey (Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Robbie Williams).

This live version was recorded in Berlin in 2016.

Closer to home, here's Mr and Mrs Fripp in their kitchen in Dorset  during lockdown, with the original Les Paul guitar.

Played the Fripp and Bowie at the same time, surprisingly good.

First one ( the original ) needs no introduction:

From 1972

Then Johnny Winter had a go in 1974

Both great live performances but I do love Johnnies extravagance !!

• Like 1

Obviously some originals are that good that it’s risky to cover it .

Everyone and his dog had a go at this one:

Here’s the original from 1969:

The Haim sisters made a decent version and included it in their live shows as a regular:

Here they are at Glastonbury in 2014:

Even well past their sell by date rockers Deep Purple decided to include their version on their latest all covers album.

• Like 1

Talking of Deep Purple , their MKII lineup wrote this song during the recording sessions for Machine Head in 1972 but deemed it unworthy for the album and resigned it to the b-side of the single Never Before.

It never really took off as a Deep Purple song and featured rarely in their live performances.

Metallica covered it in a tribute to Machine Head and Bruce Dickinson ( Iron Maiden ) did a version with a full orchestra recently. Many covers of budding guitarists on YouTube also.

But here’s a Richie Sambora ( Bon Jovi ) and Stuart Smith ( Heaven and Earth ) version in a tribute to their friend and mentor Ritchie Blackmore ( Deep Purple , Rainbow and the god awful Blackmore’s Night ).

Richie and Stuart sharing the solos :

• Like 1

The Old Grey Whistle Test clip of Johnny Winter, made me think of this.

The original was written Jacques Brel in 64, then Anglicised for Scott Walker in 68.

However, the version most people know is the one in 1973 by Alex Harvey.

• Like 1