News Forum - Business owners on Bangkok’s Khaosan road kiss goodbye their Songkran plans

Thaiger

Businesses on Bangkok’s popular Khao San road are saying goodbye to Songkran celebration plans following news that they would have to follow several restrictions. This would include an alcohol ban, having to provide free face masks to partiers if their masks got wet, and being held responsible if partiers took off their masks. The president of the Khaosan Road Business Operators Association told Thai PBS that some smaller business owners insist on holding celebrations, even though water splashing in public areas and roads won’t be allowed this year. The Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee decided to allow “water sprinkling” in specific […]

The story Business owners on Bangkok’s Khaosan road kiss goodbye their Songkran plans as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Unless the minds of those who grabbed power by coup change radically there is little chance of these restrictions ever going away. Covid is an ever mutating virus that gives the gang a perfect cover for continuing the state of emergency and it's attendant restrictions. Right now the media are feeding us stories of the discovery of the XE Omicron variant and the control freaks will use this as an excuse for ongoing controls for many more months. Before long they will have destroyed the tourism industry and will be pleased that the unwanted dirty farangs are no longer bringing their poisonous ideas that are such a danger to Thai minds.

• Like 7
  • Cool 1

Its not the water splashing that spreads  the virus, but the visiting of family members , travelling across the country to meet relatives.

Banning water fights but allowing people to travel across Thailand to meet relatives doesnt sound like a veery scientific approach.

• Like 3

I think the point is to make people miserable, not to stop the virus spread

mind you, Europe was using the same strategy, but it failed eventually, the COVID policies soon proved to be completely absurd, even western leaders could see that it was backfiring, eventually they had to let it go

Thailand, always late, keep up with the same game as usual

they simply can't learn,

Edited by butterfly
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Somchai said:

Its not the water splashing that spreads  the virus, but the visiting of family members , travelling across the country to meet relatives.

Banning water fights but allowing people to travel across Thailand to meet relatives doesnt sound like a veery scientific approach.

True. But you are still very optimistic to expect any scientific approach by now. Not much of that really, a lot of politic though. And to be honest, Omicron entered Thailand in December, one has to be naive 3+ months later to believe that it is now absolutely everywhere now like it happened in every single country worlwide. I do not think that "travelling across the country to meet relatives" will make any difference...never mind water splashing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

having to provide free face masks to partiers if their masks got wet,

Seems to be an endless source of jokes😂

• Like 3

The UK currently has the highest covid cases it  has ever had and even though they seem to have stopped talking about it .. it obviously adds up to over 200 deaths every day, but they are ignoring it. As is most of the western world, whats really amusing is how all these politicians made such a fuss of all these old people dying now to ignore those same old and sick people dying you tell me whats going on. Thailand still has its emergency decree of course which might be a factor as to why they dont want to relax just yet, but as endemicness is slated for July this last minute blockage of songkran does seem a bit strange, just look at the UK and see the way its going

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

The UK currently has the highest covid cases it  has ever had and even though they seem to have stopped talking about it .. it obviously adds up to over 200 deaths every day, but they are ignoring it.

As they should.  It is now time to stop being paranoid about this Covid virus. Many other viruses kill more each day than Covid does now. Worry about flu, Dengue and Malaria if you must worry about something.  Let's just get on with the economic and social recovery from all this needless and damaging  panic of the past 2 years.  People die, its what they do.  Live with it.  Good on the UK for taking this view. And yes, I am double vaccinated, wear a mask and maintain a reasonable distance from crowds. 

• Like 3

I don't think Dengue and Malaria are anything to worry about in the UK. 🙄

I'll stick to Covid and the Flu.

Edited by astro

51 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

As is most of the western world, whats really amusing is how all these politicians made such a fuss of all these old people dying now to ignore those same old and sick people dying you tell me whats going on.

It is less a "fuss", more a concern. Still is.

Precautions and measures are to be taken in health care and residences for seniors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Somchai said:

It’s not scientific at all. It’s totally ridiculous. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alex12345 said:

it obviously adds up to over 200 deaths every day, but they are ignoring it. As is most of the western world, whats really amusing is how all these politicians made such a fuss of all these old people dying now to ignore those same old and sick people dying you tell me whats going on

I think the thing is that at the peak of the pandemic prior to vaccines, the high infections were translating to over 1,000 deaths a day in the UK and climbing. The lockdown and restrictions turned that around until the vaccine roll out was established. Today, the death rate of 150-200 a day is holding at more or less the same rate since September 2021. The UK, like many western countries has never had a policy for handling Covid of limiting the actual deaths. It has alway been about the ability for the health system to function and not be overwhelmed. With current hospitalisation and deaths, it can easily cope. 

10 hours ago, butterfly said:

mind you, Europe was using the same strategy, but it failed eventually, the COVID policies soon proved to be completely absurd, even western leaders could see that it was backfiring, eventually they had to let it go

they simply can't learn,

exactly, but in the west people can demonstrate and semi-revolt and not have to worry about the Army gunning them down. in Thailand the people have to mind their Ps and Qs.. Thailand will never learn and that's why it's always lagging behind the rest of the world

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

I think the thing is that at the peak of the pandemic prior to vaccines, the high infections were translating to over 1,000 deaths a day in the UK and climbing. The lockdown and restrictions turned that around until the vaccine roll out was established. Today, the death rate of 150-200 a day is holding at more or less the same rate since September 2021. The UK, like many western countries has never had a policy for handling Covid of limiting the actual deaths. It has alway been about the ability for the health system to function and not be overwhelmed. With current hospitalisation and deaths, it can easily cope. 

i know here in America they are finally distinguishing between dying WITH Covid and dying FROM and the CDC has finally admitted that there is a big difference. 99% of these deaths are WITH covid so the death count is dramatically overinflated

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Businesses on Bangkok’s popular Khao San road are saying goodbye to Songkran celebration plans following news that they would have to follow several restrictions. This would include an alcohol ban, having to provide free face masks to partiers if their masks got wet, and being held responsible if partiers took off their masks. The president of the Khaosan Road Business Operators Association told Thai PBS that some smaller business owners insist on holding celebrations, even though water splashing in public areas and roads won’t be allowed this year. The Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee decided to allow “water sprinkling” in specific […]

The story Business owners on Bangkok’s Khaosan road kiss goodbye their Songkran plans as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Business will operate otherwise. Many Thai establishment can care less

6 hours ago, dustin27 said:

i know here in America they are finally distinguishing between dying WITH Covid and dying FROM and the CDC has finally admitted that there is a big difference. 99% of these deaths are WITH covid so the death count is dramatically overinflated

I’ve not seen the 99% figure (a link would help).  For sure the definition has been loose and varies from country to country. I don’t know in the US, but in the UK, the definition today is the same as it was at the peak of deaths back in February 2021. Therefore, the comparison of then and now and the positive impact vaccines have had, remains valid. 

I find it absolutely mindblowing, that some people can still get worked up over Windows XP or Megatron variants of what is essentially a flu. 

And when you walk around the city, looking at people paranoid correcting their mask every time they see other people, only to happily take off their masks 5 minutes later, to sit eat inside a packed restaurant without having a problem with that, because their fork and spoon is wrapped in plastic - it's a joke, but they don't see it.

IQ has dropped substantially in the past 2 years, and the herd mentality here doesn't help. 

20 hours ago, butterfly said:

they simply can't learn,

And one can also wonder, how come nobody reflects on the effects of masks. In such a mask-happy country like Thailand, we see daily infections around 20k, I bet you, 99,9% of those new infections are masked or double masked and at least half has taken the "vaccines". 

But still "All hail the mighty mask that offers us protection". 😂

15 hours ago, Soidog said:

I have never believed the death or infection stats that have been pushed out by all governments.  My own case is I suspect  more typical, never tested,  so how would anyone know if I've had Covid? I am yet to see the stats of people that died  OF Covid rather than WITH Covid.  I suspect that history will show that the whole thing has been , for whatever reason, a massive over reaction.  

2 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I am yet to see the stats of people that died  OF Covid rather than WITH Covid.

Or Stats of People that have had the Flu …. Since COVID19 started ….. seems like the Thai road toll, which only reports death at the scene. Flu used to be heavily reported back then, now nobody gets it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Or Stats of People that have had the Flu …. Since COVID19 started ….. seems like the Thai road toll, which only reports death at the scene. Flu used to be heavily reported back then, now nobody gets it. 

I suspect that there will be a lot of PhDs in coming years that tell us the real story.  Hopefully I will be around to read them, unless Covid, flu, Dengue, Malaria, Aids, my g/f jealousy  gets me first.  I wonder which is the most likely? 

47 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I suspect that there will be a lot of PhDs in coming years that tell us the real story.  Hopefully I will be around to read them, unless Covid, flu, Dengue, Malaria, Aids, my g/f jealousy  gets me first.  I wonder which is the most likely? 

I would rather have all of the viruses you listed at the same time rather than face a jealous Thai Girlfriend 😱

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThomasG said:

And one can also wonder, how come nobody reflects on the effects of masks. In such a mask-happy country like Thailand, we see daily infections around 20k, I bet you, 99,9% of those new infections are masked or double masked and at least half has taken the "vaccines". 

But still "All hail the mighty mask that offers us protection". 😂

the masks never worked or at best worked marginally, the issue is not the mask, it's the desperate measure that governments take to "keep busy" and not look "ineffective" while in reality they have no clue and totally incompetent in the face of a pandemic. Imagine those "winner" teams during a full scale war. They would run for cover and let us eat cake 🤣