News Forum - Agriculture ministry to give one million farms in Thailand solar panels

Thaiger

Thailand’s agriculture ministry plans to install solar panels on at least one million of Thailand’s farms in a new pilot project aiming to reduce farms’ electricity bills by 20-30% in 15-20 years. The ministry plans to issue a non-fungible token named “Solar Panels NFT for Thai Farmers” worth around 697 billion baht to legally trade with international investors in Singapore. The ministry’s deputy minister told reporters money raised from the cryptocurrency will be used to buy high-quality solar panels, and give them to farmers. In addition to helping reduce farms’ electricity bills, the project will also help reduce Thailand’s greenhouse […]

The story Agriculture ministry to give one million farms in Thailand solar panels as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yes, let's block the sun in farms with solar panels.  Basically the one place you don't want to put solar panels.  Nice job Thailand.

697 000 000 000 THB 1 million farms so that's 697,000 THB per farm. I paid 160.000 THB which provides enough energy to cover 50% of my energy usage and that is including the use of the airconditioning. I'm happy to introduce the government to the company who installed the system.

Solar Panels are popping up all over the place around us. I was looking at a newly installed set up just a few  days ago that powers a water pump. Neat, tidy and efficient system. 

There are plenty of buildings around that could have solar panels and for farms to utilise the power generated, aside from the houses that border the farms.

There are also plenty of opportunities for use of compact systems even with out going the full way. Powering lights in sheds and the pumps, are just a couple of options.

But I won't hold my breath expecting the Thai government to deliver any in the short term.

16 minutes ago, Johntucker said:

697 000 000 000 THB 1 million farms so that's 697,000 THB per farm. I paid 160.000 THB which provides enough energy to cover 50% of my energy usage and that is including the use of the airconditioning. I'm happy to introduce the government to the company who installed the system.

I have been mulling installing solar on my house and the cost you say is not that much. At 50% that would pay itself off for my home in about 7-8 years which is a long time in my eyes. How big is your home?

6 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have been mulling installing solar on my house and the cost you say is not that much. At 50% that would pay itself off for my home in about 7-8 years which is a long time in my eyes. How big is your home?

The house is 200 sqm most of the generated electricity we use for the airconditioning in the living room which is about 70 sqm

13 minutes ago, Johntucker said:

The house is 200 sqm most of the generated electricity we use for the airconditioning in the living room which is about 70 sqm

200 sqm is a pretty nice sized home. Yeah, I could say the biggest electrity cost for me is the airconditioning, but we primarily use it in our bedrooms in the night time and only on occasion in the front room or for our kitchen.