News Forum - Get the most out of your family holiday in Phuket

Thaiger

Sponsored  If you are looking for the ultimate family vacation, you have come to the perfect place. Treat your children to a unique holiday experience by booking your next family vacation at Four Points by Sheraton Phuket Patong Beach Resort. This beachfront resort invites all families seeking a relaxed and fun-filled escape by offering fun activities for all ages. Parents can surprise their little ones by booking the resort’s Family Suite. The master bedroom, living room, a dedicated kid’s room featuring a boat-shaped bed, in-room games, and a full range of facilities are all included in these fantastic 79sqm suites. […]

The story Get the most out of your family holiday in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

If you are looking for the ultimate family vacation, you have come to the perfect place.

Try a Staycation …. Like 80% of Thais are 😉

News Forum - 80% of domestic tourists cancel Songkran trip due to Covid fears, financial woes

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

What makes you say that?

Being ripped off by everything from taxis, to shops and  street venders to bars, to hotels.  Its more expensive than Bangkok, at least it used to be, pre covid, and the people are less friendly. Best avoided is my view. 

55 minutes ago, Artemis080 said:

A family vacation....in Patong ?? 🤣

Was there with my family over New Year. They had a great time. 

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

Being ripped off by everything from taxis, to shops and  street venders to bars, to hotels.  Its more expensive than Bangkok, at least it used to be, pre covid, and the people are less friendly. Best avoided is my view. 

I know about the taxis but I take my own car so that's not an issue. 

As for the other stuff, I wouldn't say it's any different to anywhere else tourist orientated in Thailand.

There's actually some great deals to be had in renting villas, hotels etc because of the lack of demand right now. 

Food and drink no different. 

I don't really speak to the people there so I can't comment about friendliness. How do you mean unfriendly?

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

How do you mean unfriendly?

I found them much less friendly than say Koh Chang, or the North,  more money grabbing than even in Bangkok and a few of them seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about everything and especially with tourists.  Not many welcoming smiles around and a very stand offish attitude. Big generalisations I know, but that's how it struck me on my several visits  I have heard the same said by others, so maybe its more true than not. Maybe covid has given them a little humility to understand that tourists may not always be around to fleece. One can only hope. 

Just now, Pinetree said:

I found them much less friendly than say Koh Chang, or the North,  more money grabbing than even in Bangkok and a few of them seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about everything and especially with tourists.  Not many welcoming smiles around and a very stand offish attitude. Big generalisations I know, but that's how it struck me on my several visits  I have heard the same said by others, so maybe its more true than not. Maybe covid has given them a little humility to understand that tourists may not always be around to fleece. One can only hope. 

Maybe I don't know. I don't have many interactions with Thais I don't know personally, usually I'm just buying something or getting a service of some kind 

I don't really find Thais that friendly generally anywhere in the country really. 

They're friendly when you're giving them money, but they would be. 

But genuinely friendly, just a myth promoted by the TAT IMO

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Maybe I don't know. I don't have many interactions with Thais I don't know personally, usually I'm just buying something or getting a service of some kind 

I don't really find Thais that friendly generally anywhere in the country really. 

I tend to agree that the term 'the land of smiles' can be a bit of a misnomer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It's a bit like the American have a nice day bs. It's not like they really GAS. 

I actually do......

If I have a nice interaction with a person, I want them to have a nice day

And people are happy to be told that........

Nothing wrong with a pleasant interaction

Better than being miserable like most of the BM's on here

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You sound extremely pleasant! 

Geez, I wonder why you don't find others that friendly 5555

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I've been going to Phuket for 18 years, 95% of my interactions with people there have been very pleasant, many times playful

But if you look at the overall negativity on this forum, it's not a surprise why people don't have good interactions

22 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You sound extremely pleasant! 

Geez, I wonder why you don't find others that friendly 5555

,😆😆😆555

I can see how that comes across. 

I'm just saying that I find them no more or no less friendly than anywhere else. They're nothing special. That's the point. 

And it's true that I'm not hanging out with Thais really. 

I spend time with my family and the in-laws, and they are friendly, but that would be expected. 

So from my limited interactions in shops, markets, malls, hotels etc I'm just saying that Thais are no more or less friendly than anywhere else. 

Arabs on the other hand. Now they really are friendly. Been blown away by genuine hospitality and people being friendly in the ME multiple times. It's a tough act to follow, and for all the smiles and passiveness Thailand just doesn't come close. 

That's just my opinion though. 

I'm actually quite a relaxed easygoing guy BTW...😉

34 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

,😆😆😆555

I can see how that comes across. 

I'm just saying that I find them no more or no less friendly than anywhere else. They're nothing special. That's the point. 

And it's true that I'm not hanging out with Thais really. 

I spend time with my family and the in-laws, and they are friendly, but that would be expected. 

So from my limited interactions in shops, markets, malls, hotels etc I'm just saying that Thais are no more or less friendly than anywhere else. 

Arabs on the other hand. Now they really are friendly. Been blown away by genuine hospitality and people being friendly in the ME multiple times. It's a tough act to follow, and for all the smiles and passiveness Thailand just doesn't come close. 

That's just my opinion though. 

I'm actually quite a relaxed easygoing guy BTW...😉

I guess in retail I don't find them overly friendly, nor rude...........so don't think you are wrong there

But I find them tremendous in any small personal interactions..........well for the most part

Very playful

Also, Phuket is south, and they are notorious for being the most gruff of Thai people

My wife(central Thailand) is very outgoing and friendly once she knows you but is very stand-offish at 1st