News Forum - Homemade booze regulations being drafted to allow Thais to produce alcohol

Thaiger

The Thai government is looking into allowing citizens to produce alcohol at home, but the spirits would only be allowed for personal consumption and not for sale. The revised laws will likely allow Thais to brew beer as well as distil whiskey, which is often brewed with herbs to make the traditional and homemade spirit “ya dong.” The deputy government spokesperson, Ratchada Thanadirek, says the Cabinet has been considering a draft law under the Excise Tax Act that was proposed by MP Piphop Limcharoenkron from the Move Forward Party. Under the Cabinet’s approval, the Finance Ministry will work on revising […]

The story Homemade booze regulations being drafted to allow Thais to produce alcohol as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I don’t use this phrase very often. But “Oh My God”!!! This feels like another decision to quell voices of the rural poor. Keep em drunk and keep em quiet. Where is the Public Health Minister when you actually need him for once!  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

intended to give more freedom to the public

But for God sake, don't let people buy wine between 2-5pm that's just too much freedom to handle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can’t see the logic in this. Less alcohol sales = less sales tax. Cheaper alcohol = increased consumption. And, as mentioned already, the end product could be harmful. Maybe they want everyone stoned or drunk? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Great news. Some of us are ahead of the game. 

Screenshot_20220330_095148_com.android.gallery3d_edit_715465608372078.thumb.jpg.df8ac6edd3d212a7a223ab6aad9a2d74.jpg

Ya dong+coke and a long straw to the sofa?

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Fanta said:

I can’t see the logic in this. Less alcohol sales = less sales tax. Cheaper alcohol = increased consumption. And, as mentioned already, the end product could be harmful. Maybe they want everyone stoned or drunk? 

Fanta says(see what I did there). The logic is freedom of choice and at the moment the big 3 sells a liquid that they call beer but tastes like water, when people realise that they can make better beer at home the big 3 may have to get their finger out and start improving the muck they are passing off as beer.

19 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Fanta says(see what I did there). The logic is freedom of choice and at the moment the big 3 sells a liquid that they call beer but tastes like water, when people realise that they can make better beer at home the big 3 may have to get their finger out and start improving the muck they are passing off as beer.

My main issue is wine. I'm not poor but I do begrudge paying 400+ baht for a bottle of average plonk. 

Especially when I know I can make my own plonk for a fraction of the price. 

It's also good fun, playing around with different flavours etc. 

Used to make a lot of mead in the past. An enjoyable pastime.

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

My main issue is wine. I'm not poor but I do begrudge paying 400+ baht for a bottle of average plonk. 

Especially when I know I can make my own plonk for a fraction of the price. 

It's also good fun, playing around with different flavours etc. 

Used to make a lot of mead in the past. An enjoyable pastime.

Exactly, I make my own wine too, it tastes a 100% better than the plonk they sell at the supermarkets, no artificial colouring or any other chemicals they chose to add to it and at a fraction of the price.

Some folk just cannot understand people brew beer and make wine for a hobby and to drink something that is far superior to junk you buy at local stores.

I made and bottled my own beer in the US for many years.  If I had the equipment I would do it here as well since it is only for personal use.  However finding the right things as well as the hops is not an easy thing to do.  I had no idea it was not legal, now I know better.  Guess all of those that make their own Lao Khao or home made wine do it illegally......