News Forum - Hill tribes in Chiang Mai resist construction of coal mine

Thaiger

Villagers from Omkoi in the northern hills of Chiang Mai are running a campaign to resist an upcoming mining project which they say will impact their way of life, health, livelihoods and the local environment. The villagers are filing a lawsuit against the International Energy Agency who did not notify or involve local people in the planning of the project, which began 10 years ago. A network has been set up to resist the project and the villagers are submitting an Environmental Impact Assessment report to the court in an effort to put a stop to the Omkoi mining project, […]

The story Hill tribes in Chiang Mai resist construction of coal mine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Wow, today they will be at 3 Kings in CM. I will take a motorcycle cruise past around 5pm to see how it is going on. Unfornutately like in many or all countries, normal and indigenous people get shite on from the big interests an becvome vitually powerless to even lift a finger up against them and for their rights. Sounds like if this was passed 10 years ago then it needs to be re-looked at because El General Cheese-head didn't do his coup and take over iron fisted power and "eliminate corruption" until later. Yes, that is my joke of the day.

Article Paste below:

• March 30: Omkoi villagers will travel to the Three Kings Monument in Chiang Mai to publicly launch their EIA report.
  • April 3: Protect Omkoi from Coal Network will hold an event at the Faculty of Law at Chiang Mai University.
  • April 4: 50 Omkoi villagers will file a lawsuit at the Chiang Mai Administrative Court to revoke the EIA of the Omkoi coal mine.

55 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Villagers from Omkoi in the northern hills of Chiang Mai

Should read 'Villagers from Omkoi in the south-western hills of Chiang Mai.