Land tax?

Marble-eye

Does anyone know if you buy land you have to pay the government a tax on the bought land, and if a house was built on that land would a tax be payable on the house. Thanks

Just now, WilliamG said:

I thought that you (falang) could not buy land.

I cannot, but we can (this being the royal we) 

So if I say 'I' in the future, I am actually meaning we as in my wife. 🥴

• Like 1

Land tax is assessed on the unimproved value of the land but is not payable if you reside in a house upon that land.

Should you hold more than one property, tax will be payable on the 'investment' property.  If that property is unimproved, planting fruit trees or growing of vegetables will lower the taxable rate considerable as it is then assessed as 'agricultural use'.

That's a rough guide anyway.

5 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Land tax is assessed on the unimproved value of the land but is not payable if you reside in a house upon that land.

Should you hold more than one property, tax will be payable on the 'investment' property.  If that property is unimproved, planting fruit trees or growing of vegetables will lower the taxable rate considerable as it is then assessed as 'agricultural use'.

That's a rough guide anyway.

Thanks KR, we would be looking to sell our present property to fund the building of an house on the acquired land. But to complicate matters it already has a run down dwelling on the land, so if we did build a further house to the land I'm wondering if tax would be due for that property?

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Thanks KR, we would be looking to sell our present property to fund the building of an house on the acquired land. But to complicate matters it already has a run down dwelling on the land, so if we did build a further house to the land I'm wondering if tax would be due for that property?

Tax is assessed on the land value, not the improved value.  Depending on how long before you can register a new dwelling as being your residence, you may find land tax is payable.  Your Amphur office will advise and I seem to recall a no-tax period if buying land to build on/live on.  The rules were relaxed somewhat during Covid so it would pay the check the latest criteria.

Eg: Initially, the tax was not payable for 12 months on an existing home if 'on the market', and this gave citizens time to buy, build new and move in without being unduly taxed.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:30 AM, Marble-eye said:

On 3/30/2022 at 12:55 PM, KaptainRob said:

Tax is assessed on the land value, not the improved value.  Depending on how long before you can register a new dwelling as being your residence, you may find land tax is payable.  Your Amphur office will advise and I seem to recall a no-tax period if buying land to build on/live on.  The rules were relaxed somewhat during Covid so it would pay the check the latest criteria.

Eg: Initially, the tax was not payable for 12 months on an existing home if 'on the market', and this gave citizens time to buy, build new and move in without being unduly taxed.

And in the end you may have to pay $30 after 10 years if you forget.👍