News Forum - Songkran 2022: BMA allows water splashing from Covid-safe distances in private venues

Thaiger

No water splashing, foam parties or powder smearing will be allowed in public areas such as roads during Songkran next month. But partiers can “sprinkle” (i.e. splash) from a Covid-safe distance of four meters — in a private venue with a face mask on. And everyone can enjoy waterless Songkran celebrations without fearing the dangerous Covid-spreading activities we all love, just make sure to abide by the reasonable rules from the CCSA. That’s the decision from the Bangkok Communicable Disease Committee, which met on Tuesday to discuss petitions from local businesses to allow Songkran parties to beheld in popular tourist […]

The story Songkran 2022: BMA allows water splashing from Covid-safe distances in private venues as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

16 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

But partiers can “sprinkle” (i.e. splash) from a Covid-safe distance of four meters

It's getting more ridiculous by the day😵

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

It's getting more ridiculous by the day😵

It really is. It started off funny and now it’s concerning. These people are in charge 😱

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

But private party venues cannot allow alcohol consumption. Party venues must also enforce a population density of one person for every four square meters. And all partiers must have their face masks on the whole time.

"party"? I can picture this great fun party where a person stands with his/her water gun without moving every 4 square meter (???) suffocating with a soaking wet mask on while... ah, I am lost for words. How does that even work?

And everyone can enjoy waterless Songkran celebrations without fearing the dangerous Covid-spreading activities we all love, just make sure to abide by the reasonable rules from the CCSA.

"reasonable"? I am literally lost for words.

• Like 4

So most Thais will interpret this statement as everything is back to normal for Songkran. Perhaps there won’t be the big stages set up (though probably will). No one will be able to police such a stupid instruction as splashing from 4 metres. They can’t even police closing bars at 11pm so what chance this. 

So let’s not mince words. Simple fact is, this is the green light for Songkran as far as Thais are concerned. When the Covid increases arrive the government won’t be to blame for keeping the Emergency decree for another 3 to 6 months. 

On 3/30/2022 at 4:03 AM, Soidog said:

So most Thais will interpret this statement as everything is back to normal for Songkran. Perhaps there won’t be the big stages set up (though probably will). No one will be able to police such a stupid instruction as splashing from 4 metres. They can’t even police closing bars at 11pm so what chance this. 

So let’s not mince words. Simple fact is, this is the green light for Songkran as far as Thais are concerned. When the Covid increases arrive the government won’t be to blame for keeping the Emergency decree for another 3 to 6 months. 

Spot on.

But I don't really see what the Thai government can do, too many Thais are refusing to have their vaccines, if the country opens up just to satisfy the tourist industry the majority of Thais not connected to that industry will crucify the government when the number of cases double each week and due to the fact not enough people have been vaccinated many people will die or be seriously ill.

If Thais want their country to reopen like many others around the world then get vaccinated, they can't have it both ways.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Spot on.

But I don't really see what the Thai government can do, too many Thais are refusing to have their vaccines, if the country opens up just to satisfy the tourist industry the majority of Thais not connected to that industry will crucify the government when the number of cases double each week and due to the fact not enough people have been vaccinated many people will die or be seriously ill.

If Thais want their country to reopen like many others around the world then get vaccinated, they can't have it both ways.

I totally agree. I think part of the problem is that many Thais not involved in the tourism business take the view that they aren’t affected or bothered. No one has explained to them that losing 10%-15% of GDP for two years and counting will ultimately affect everyone. I think part of the reason no one is explaining this, is that even the government don’t understand it!  

They seem to be fixating and blaming the Russia-Ukraine conflict on the sagging economy more each day. No doubt that is playing a part, but not as much as 2 years of lost revenue and foreign currency inflows from lost tourism is doing. 

12 hours ago, JamesR said:

Spot on.

I think you should rephrase your words. "Too many Thais are refusing to have their vaccines". They are not refusing anything. They only exercise their inherent right to bodily autonomy and self determination. And in light of the many serious side effects of the shots now coming out more and more on a daily basis and the little or none effectiveness in protecting the recipient or preventing from passing the virus on I can see no reason to subject oneself to an experimental vaccine that only has an emergency approval. Only the future will tell who was right, but we should be allowed to make our own decisions.

On 4/1/2022 at 6:01 AM, Donald said:

I think you should rephrase your words. "Too many Thais are refusing to have their vaccines". They are not refusing anything. They only exercise their inherent right to bodily autonomy and self determination. And in light of the many serious side effects of the shots now coming out more and more on a daily basis and the little or none effectiveness in protecting the recipient or preventing from passing the virus on I can see no reason to subject oneself to an experimental vaccine that only has an emergency approval. Only the future will tell who was right, but we should be allowed to make our own decisions.

The usual total nonsense misinformation crap from anti-vaxers. Not worth a decent reply.