News Forum - IKEA to open another store in Bangkok’s Phrom Phong area

Thaiger

Last week, IKEA, the famous Swedish furniture company, announced is set to open another store in Bangkok’s Phrom Phong in the Emsphere, Emporium and Emquatier shopping district. The IKEA complex is still under construction and there is no announcement on the planned opening date. This will be their fourth location in Thailand alongside Mega Bangna, Central Westgate, IKEA Phuket. Mega Banga is IKEA’s first home in Bangkok before adding Central Westgate in Nonthaburi, which is followed by a branch in Phuket.

The story IKEA to open another store in Bangkok’s Phrom Phong area as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Mega Banga is IKEA’s first home in Bangkok

Correction - Mega Banga (sic) is actually in Samutprakan

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Bangkok’s Phrom Phong in the Emsphere, Emporium and Emquatier shopping district.

Is there really an available spot to build a giant Ikea store there, or are they planing to make a tall construction for a change, with a spiral shaped path like Emquatier😉

4 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Correction - Mega Banga (sic) is actually in Samutprakan

... which is part of 'greater' Bangkok metropolitan area.  No?

The Bangna store and the whole Mall should be a 'must visit' location IMO, best shopping precinct in all of Bangkok.

1 minute ago, KaptainRob said:

The Bangna store

Patpong, Nana or Soi Cowboy ? …… ooops sorry misread it for Banger store. 

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

... which is part of 'greater' Bangkok metropolitan area.  No?

The Bangna store and the whole Mall should be a 'must visit' location IMO, best shopping precinct in all of Bangkok.

You are right, it is in the greater Bangkok metropolitan area.

However I also think for the benefit of people who don't live in Bangkok and wishes to travel to Mega Bangna they should be informed that since it is not situated in Bangkok proper they should also not be expecting the same convenience of using the BTS or MRT unlike other equally well known malls in Bangkok.

Mega Bangna IKEA can only be accessed via private vehicle, buses or taxis and in this respect it loses to the IKEA at Central Westgate which I believe is already connected to the new (purple line?) MRT. So until the proposed new line that goes parallel with the Bangna Trat is built, Mega Bangna still doesn't live up to the expectation of a Bangkok mall.

But yes it is a very good mall with ample and wide parking space since it is located on the outskirts and you don't have to go through the horrors of multi storey parking unlike malls in the city center.

3 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

"The store format is expected to be not very large. focus on appliances with small furniture Can carry it home by yourself"

https://www.papayatop.com/ikea-emsphere

Since it's a small store I guess they don't have the iconic IKEA warehouse racks that youngsters seems to like taking photos and posting on instagram:

image.thumb.png.dd0aa65e25610f18993df8513e2171bf.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noble_Design said:

Since it's a small store I guess they don't have the iconic IKEA warehouse racks that youngsters seems to like taking photos and posting on instagram:

image.thumb.png.dd0aa65e25610f18993df8513e2171bf.png

No, a disappointment for some I'm sure. Without the warehouse it's not the " real thing".

1 minute ago, Cathat said:

so long as they have the cheap meatballs the store will do fine however small it is.

Yes, the meatballs are more important than the furniture😋

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Mega Bangna IKEA can only be accessed via private vehicle, buses or taxis and in this respect it loses to the IKEA at Central Westgate which I believe is already connected to the new (purple line?) MRT. So until the proposed new line that goes parallel with the Bangna Trat is built, Mega Bangna still doesn't live up to the expectation of a Bangkok mall.

Mega Bangna is easily accessed via Sukhumvit Line to Udom Suk + ~100 bt taxi for the final 10 minute ride.  Apart from Terminal21 I'd prefer a day out at Mega Bangna over anything else in the centre.

Along with meatballs for lunch  😄

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

You are right, it is in the greater Bangkok metropolitan area.

However I also think for the benefit of people who don't live in Bangkok and wishes to travel to Mega Bangna they should be informed that since it is not situated in Bangkok proper they should also not be expecting the same convenience of using the BTS or MRT unlike other equally well known malls in Bangkok.

But yes it is a very good mall with ample and wide parking space since it is located on the outskirts and you don't have to go through the horrors of multi storey parking unlike malls in the city center.

The thing is, most times you would be buying a big item at Ikea.............so most people would be driving there anyways

8 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Mega Bangna is easily accessed via Sukhumvit Line to Udom Suk + ~100 bt taxi for the final 10 minute ride.  Apart from Terminal21 I'd prefer a day out at Mega Bangna over anything else in the centre.

We buy fozen meatballs in their store and make at home too. Works great with rice!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

The final 10 minutes ride unfortunately can turn into a final 30 minutes ride starting 5pm onwards or if it rains 🤭

But yes their cafeteria food is good. Sometimes when I'm out of idea to eat I'll just go and eat there

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The thing is, most times you would be buying a big item at Ikea.............so most people would be driving there anyways

I'm always on the look out for their chocolates instead. They sometimes have a buy 1 free 1 promo. I like the one in blue color packets. Usually selling for 40 baht a piece but I have bought during promo 40 baht for 2. 

image.png.e20cb24c068ec66461e29900ba584793.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

We buy fozen meatballs in their store and make at home too. Works great with rice!

I see that IKEA serves their meatballs with something that looks like purple jam? Is it a Scandinavian thing? I thought meatballs are eaten with savory sauces or condiments e.g. ketchup, mayo etc.

1 minute ago, Noble_Design said:

I see that IKEA serves their meatballs with something that looks like purple jam? Is it a Scandinavian thing? I thought meatballs are eaten with savory sauces or condiments e.g. ketchup, mayo etc.

Here is North America, they are served in a brown sauce.........Swedish Meatballs

I never seen any type of purple jam

2 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Yes, traditionally it's served with lingonberry jam. 

images - 2022-03-28T211126.822.jpeg

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Here is North America, they are served in a brown sauce.........Swedish Meatballs

I never seen any type of purple jam

Ah my bad. It's not for the meatballs... it's for the mashed potatoes:

image.png.b8d50c028d536db42904270bbd81dfac.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Yes, traditionally it's served with lingonberry jam. 

images - 2022-03-28T211126.822.jpeg

Ah, isn't it a weird pairing? Jams and meat? I thought jams are supposed to go on bread.

Or is it how they do it in Scandinavian countries?

Edited by Noble_Design

2 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Ah my bad. It's not for the meatballs... it's for the mashed potatoes:

image.png.b8d50c028d536db42904270bbd81dfac.png

That looks like cranberry sauce

We use it here in North America with turkey dinners

• Like 1

Just now, Noble_Design said:

Ah, isn't it a weird paring? Jams and meat? I thought jams are supposed to go on bread.

Or is it how they do it in Scandinavian countries?

I know it appears to be a bit wierd, but it's an old Swedish tradition . Without lingonberries the meal is simply not complete, and it's actually quite delicious!

• Like 2