News Forum - Officers investigate death of elderly American expat in Pattaya

Thaiger

Police in Pattaya are investigating the death of an 80 year old American man who was found lying in bed with a plastic bag covering his head. Officers also note that the door to the safe was left open. Investigators will review surveillance camera footage from the condominium to determine if anyone entered his room. The elderly expat had lived in Pattaya for more than 20 years, according to reports in Thai media. When a staff member at the condominium on Soi Pattaya 13 noticed the expat had not been out of his room to go to the shop nearby […]

The story Officers investigate death of elderly American expat in Pattaya as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

13 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Officers say there were no injuries or signs of foul play.

Plastic bag over his head... Door to the safe opened... No, not any signs of foul play there.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Plastic bag over his head... Door to the safe opened... No, not any signs of foul play there.

I was thinking it was suicide. That it had to be. Still, something bothers me about this crime scene.  

Wait and see, but not the usual way to check out. 80 is still doing pretty darn well on the life meter. Anyway let him have a safe journey.

• Like 2

Got to feel sorry for the police dragged in to investigating this. Where’s the money in having to find out how an 80 year old foreigner died 🤔. Best wrap it up quickly so they can go after the drugs gangs or at the very least foreigners not wearing a bike helmet or not having an international driving permit. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

The safe door was open, no mention if it was empty, so no conclusions can be made until the autopsy has been done.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Poolie said:

He was eighty, is he not entitled to die without people seeing spooks everywhere?

Death from natural causes would give no cause for comment. A plastic bag over the head on the other hand is either suicide or it is not, hence the discussion. 

• Like 4

WOW! next you'll be querying why so many foreigners fall or their balconies with either a lady boy/gf or wife in the room at the same time .. it was clearly an accident as poirot would say. Mon Dieu

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

it was clearly an accident as poirot would say. Mon Dieu

I'm going to watch Death on the Nile soon. Hope's it's as good as the first movie

Edited by Noble_Design

1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Death from natural causes would give no cause for comment. A plastic bag over the head on the other hand is either suicide or it is not, hence the discussion. 

Ghouls! 😃

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mudshark said:

I was thinking it was suicide. That it had to be. Still, something bothers me about this crime scene.  

I'm sure they'll consult you, Columbo. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

I'm going to watch Death on the Nile soon. Hope's it's as good as the first movie

it was ok..watched it last night--stick with the originals...

as for the old timer 20 yrs in Patts might drive one to end it--or just do a toxicology as the plastic bag is a common way to dope out and check out

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 9:44 PM, steve860 said:

I'm sure they'll consult you, Columbo. 

Errrrr...ahh...umm before I go---Just one last question........might refer this to Mannix, or Quincy!

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 9:33 PM, alex12345 said:

WOW! next you'll be querying why so many foreigners fall or their balconies with either a lady boy/gf or wife in the room at the same time .. it was clearly an accident as poirot would say. Mon Dieu

Death on the Ping river-----Murder on the BKK Sleeper train!  Salacious!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 9:37 PM, Noble_Design said:

It wasn't!

On 3/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Anyway let him have a safe journey.

To where?  The guy is dead and gone, there is nowhere to go to.  

I doubt there was an actual safe. There may have been one of the small  " valuable storage boxes" but that's it. These boxes are neither secure nor classified as a "safe". Youtube has many videos on how easy they are to open and how "unsafe" they are. The gentleman therefore may not have ever used the box. My point is that don't put too much emphasis on the item. Always so much more to these tragic stories.

54 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

To where?  The guy is dead and gone, there is nowhere to go to.  

Moving in to his little spirit house?