I’m not a cheapskate or miserly person.

Lumpy_Custard

My Thai wife , bless her seems to get embarrassed when we are out shopping together , some times at our local open market or in a local village shop . I see some thing I would like to purchase and when I’m about to pay I always ask for discount . I’m not a cheapskate or miserly person just some one who was brought up to get the best price or deal. I know only to well that the stall holders and shop owners have to make a profit , but I can’t seem to stop a life time habit . 

Any one else do the same and ask for discount when buying some thing .😀

LC 

"Any one else do the same and ask for discount when buying some thing?"

Not at all. These folks are hurting and I am more than happy to help those who survived the ravages of Covid on their businesses. Even in better times I think of my financial comfort and security being better than most Thai shopkeepers so I tend to be generous to a fault.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Not at all. These folks are hurting and I am more than happy to help those who survived the ravages of Covid on their businesses. Even in better times I think of my financial comfort and security being better than most Thai shopkeepers so I tend to be generous to a fault.

You make a good point and some thing I'm going to think about 👍

LC

• Like 2

Depends on the situation and what you are buying. Making a habit of buying from a Thai booth or shop vendors for objects is normal as there should be wiggle room, and in the end all they can say is no or yes. If they have a good attitude and items that I like, then I will always consider going back to them time and time again. Normally I will walk away and let my wife do the haggling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

My Thai wife , bless her seems to get embarrassed when we are out shopping together , some times at our local open market or in a local village shop . I see some thing I would like to purchase and when I’m about to pay I always ask for discount . I’m not a cheapskate or miserly person just some one who was brought up to get the best price or deal. I know only to well that the stall holders and shop owners have to make a profit , but I can’t seem to stop a life time habit . 

Any one else do the same and ask for discount when buying some thing .😀

LC 

That is not only common sense here, its the way they all do business.  Your wife seems to be an exception. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Depends on the situation and what you are buying. Making a habit of buying from a Thai booth or shop vendors for objects is normal as there should be wiggle room, and in the end all they can say is no or yes. If they have a good attitude and items that I like, then I will always consider going back to them time and time again. Normally I will walk away and let my wife do the haggling.

I have got discounts, sometimes substantial, from the likes of Home Pro, Mega Home, Toyota and Index, to name a few. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Good on you, but I am not a charity and they would not discount to make a loss.  Its a tough old world. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

I have got discounts, sometimes substantial, from the likes of Home Pro, Mega Home, Toyota and Index, to name a few. 

Yes, me the same on 2 new vehicles, but on one of them the sales gal was my daughter's University friend so we cut most all the middle stuff and I actually gave her a side tip. Home materials or things from Home Pro I would presume it is all about what you are actually  buying. So I do agree many places incuding the ones you listed can have a grey wiggle area but depending on what you are purchasing.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

OP was talking about local shopkeepers, not corporate greed monsters.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

That is not only common sense here, its the way they all do business.  Your wife seems to be an exception. 

Maybe I've been obtuse

But I've never noticed much haggling being done at the local markets

Sure in tourists areas

But I don't recall seeing it being done at a local shop or Marler

My wife buys a lot of second hand clothes 

She may negotiate a deal to buy a bunch of dresses(I'm talking 20-30)

But buying the odd t-shirt or food stuff, I've never noticed it

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Its a tough old world. 

And if we can make it a little easier on those less fortunate, we should. It's called humanity.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

I was replying to HolyCow CM's posting 

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

And if we can make it a little easier on those less fortunate, we should. It's called humanity.

I am agog with indifference. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Maybe I've been obtuse

Sure in tourists areas

In the market, the discount will often appear as a couple of extra veg or fruit or 2 extra eggs.  It seems to be common practice around me. 

38 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I love the ‘’ wiggle room ‘’  . When I go into my discount mode I always have a happy smile on my face and if I do manage to receive any wiggle room I nearly always return back to that same vendor .

My second smile on my face comment if I don’t get any discount is to say to the seller  in Thai , I don’t have much money . This always gets a smile back and sometimes the comment ....

You farangs all have big money 😀

LC 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

My Thai wife has always been very timid , I'm still not certain if that's a good thing or a bad thing 🤪

LC

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

As my dear departed dad use to constantly say ..... Bugger 😀

For some strange unfathomable reason I have never flicked the how about knocking a bit off switch  , at any of the stores you mention .  Next time I'm going to without a doubt give it a go 👍

LC 

26 minutes ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Love the .............  corporate greed monsters 😀

LC

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Maybe I've been obtuse

Sure in tourists areas

My wife is always sorting through the second hand clothes at local markets , as I stand next to her while she is choosing .  I constantly see glances from other shoppers near us , and I can see in their faces what they are thinking ..... Why is that Thai woman having to buy second hand clothes when she is with her rich farang husband. 😀

LC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

Any one else do the same and ask for discount when buying some thing

I am not sure about the Thai culture.  In the USA it is more rare for people to ask for a discount.  The smaller the merchant the more likely a customer is to ask for a discount.  In Israel it is rude not to barter with the merchant.  

I can tell I owned a small furniture store.  The Asian customers always asked for a discount, as did the Indian customers.  Some requests were so outrageous that I raised the price after they requested the discount. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

Any one else do the same and ask for discount when buying some thing

Every Russian is doing that on markets. Do you have Russians in numbers in your area?  The prices include that. You don't have them?  Don't pressure it! 

Aside that the discount is mostly going over the "2, 3, how many you want" scheme. Which seems to be fair to me.

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

In the market, the discount will often appear as a couple of extra veg or fruit or 2 extra eggs.  It seems to be common practice around me. 

Well I wouldn't call that haggling 

Just good customer service recognizing a good customer 

38 minutes ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

My wife is always sorting through the second hand clothes at local markets , as I stand next to her while she is choosing .  I constantly see glances from other shoppers near us , and I can see in their faces what they are thinking ..... Why is that Thai woman having to buy second hand clothes when she is with her rich farang husband. 😀

LC

Nah

2nd hand clothes is a huge business in Thailand 

My wife buys a bunch of it that she ikes   wears some then sells it all off

47 minutes ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

LC

We used to buy used Levi jeans like this in CM. I could care less as this is the way to buy Levi's as is the best way to do so as they get them imported in bulk. Now I switched to more the pants that have movement so no more used Levi's as times changed.

52 minutes ago, Lumpy_Custard said:

LC

Mrs.Trans does the same, reason being, a lot of the stuff is from farangland, probably donated and meant for poor countries. She has a good eye for hardly worn clothes from the USA. I have some good quality USA T's she found that would fit me too.

My best warm weather top is a genuine Nike, I've had it for many years, been washed a zillion times, cost  50 bht... 😋