News Forum - Russia conducts drills on territory disputed with Japan

Thaiger

Japanese media reported today that over 3,000 Russian troops are conducting military drills on Tokyo’s Kuril islands. Japan’s Foreign Ministry and Prime Minister’s Office could not be reached outside business hours to comment on the exercises. Russia calls the chain of four islands part of its Kuril chain, while Japan calls them part of its northern territory. In its drills, Russia destroyed defence aircraft carrying troops and tested skills operating control systems of anti-tank guided missiles, according to the Russian news agency Interfax. Interfax did not say where on the islands Russia carried out the drills. This news comes days […]

The story Russia conducts drills on territory disputed with Japan as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

51 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

In its drills, Russia destroyed defence aircraft carrying troops and tested skills operating control systems of anti-tank guided missiles, according to the Russian news agency Interfax.

I think that should be deployed 

• Haha 1

I will admit after reading through the history of the area, and the sheer number of treaties and discussions, I don't know who owns what in this disputed area. It even seems there is dispute over what are the islands being discussed.

It seems it has been going on for over 70 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuril_Islands_dispute

From what I read it seems Russia has control at present as a peace treaty with Japan from WW2 has never been finalised. In such a case, they can use them as they see fit.

Just another big diplomatic mess in the world sponsored by greed, in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Japanese media reported today that over 3,000 Russian troops are conducting military drills

In preparation to being sent to Ukraine 🇺🇦 ….. as they will need all the practice prior to departure.

• Like 1

This was mentioned in the local news bulletin here (Japan) but kind of like the 3rd or 4th story in. Also angled as a show of “two-front capability” rather than aggression. Folks here are not concerned at all. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

I will admit after reading through the history of the area, and the sheer number of treaties and discussions, I don't know who owns what in this disputed area. It even seems there is dispute over what are the islands being discussed.

It seems it has been going on for over 70 years!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuril_Islands_dispute

From what I read it seems Russia has control at present as a peace treaty with Japan from WW2 has never been finalised. In such a case, they can use them as they see fit.

Just another big diplomatic mess in the world sponsored by greed, in my opinion.

Hiroshima 6 August 1945

Nagasaki 9 August 1945

Russian declaration of war to Japan: 9 August 1945.

They were not victors, they were scavengers occupying Kurils

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Russia is following chinas lead and land grabbing anywhere they can, china does it mostly by financial and control whereas Russia uses its Military to invade and control!!

I think it is high time to sit Putin's Russia down and out and let them suffer. Enough squeezing and maybe they will rise up against his little man BS complex and make him go away.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Alavan said:

Hiroshima 6 August 1945

Nagasaki 9 August 1945

Russian declaration of war to Japan: 9 August 1945.

They were not victors, they were scavengers occupying Kurils

The fact that you needed to point out the two nuclear bombs that where dropped on Japan says it all. They where used on civilian targets with the sole purpose to study the effects. Japan at the time was already defeated. And if the US wanted to make a statement they should have dropped it on the imperial palace. By the way, don't forget that the US is the only country in the world that ever has used nuclear weapons.

You would think Russia would be better off taking those troops to Ukraine and trying to salvage that debacle. Instead they are trying to PO yet another country into kicking their rear. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donald said:

The fact that you needed to point out the two nuclear bombs that where dropped on Japan says it all. They where used on civilian targets with the sole purpose to study the effects. Japan at the time was already defeated. And if the US wanted to make a statement they should have dropped it on the imperial palace. By the way, don't forget that the US is the only country in the world that ever has used nuclear weapons.

The fact that I mentionned those 2 bombs is just to show at what late time the Russians entered the war against Japan. They just wanted to profit from the surrender without any serious involvement in the war. 
That is all. I don’t go into any moral justification of the bombs. If you see more in this post, that is only you.

When Putin buddied up publicly with Xi recently, figured it was going to be Game-On.  It's almost liberating to have them out in the open. 

The Pacific AoR is vast and China's been operating in "He who dares, wins" mode for some time.

Interesting to see Putin extend himself to stir the pot with the Japanese in the Pacific now.  Maybe a symbolic gesture to publicly solidify alliance with China, or perhaps that along with a coordinated effort to keep "The West - USA in particular - scrambling with brush fires.

Putin's ejecting American Diplomats from Russia.  Landed a bomber on Cuba recently.   Rocket Man's back in the news again.  American PACOM Commander let us know last week that China's fully militarized their SCS islands, as if that was ever in doubt.  And now Putin's stirring the pot in the Pacific. 

I'll wager 100 Baht on a little dust up with Iran over in the Strait of Hormuz.  🚢🚤

Whack-a-Mole.

2014-10-03-whackamole.jpg

Edited by TWS60
Photo

4 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Interesting to see Putin extend himself to stir the pot with the Japanese in the Pacific now.  Maybe a symbolic gesture to publicly solidify alliance with China, or perhaps that along with a coordinated effort to keep "The West - USA in particular - scrambling with brush fires.

Spot on. Russia plays the role of spoiler because stability equals prosperity and economic growth, and in that game Russia falls further behind.

The Russian military exercises in the Kurils didn’t make the news here in Japan tonight, nobody cares. 

Other than the invasion itself, the Japanese media has been talking about how alternative sources for Russian gas and crude oil can be found. Step up, Malaysia and Australia.

• Like 1