News Forum - Thai government unleashes the fear machine for Songkran – OPINION

Thaiger

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Don't even think about it mate, In Australia we give people asylum as refugees then they petition and protest the government to send money to there home country to take care of more of them, It boggles the brain?

That wasn't my point. If I were in Australia as a visitor, I wouldn't be in a position to criticize it's government or people. Just like if I were a visitor in your home, criticizing your furnishing or your choices of cleanliness. I just think it's rude.

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

That wasn't my point. If I were in Australia as a visitor, I wouldn't be in a position to criticize it's government or people.

Why not, it's a democracy and everyone, even China, can have their say.  Me too, and I'm not Australian.

4 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Just like if I were a visitor in your home, criticizing your furnishing or your choices of cleanliness. I just think it's rude.

That's a dumb analogy 🤨

Fact is Fred, Politics, Religion. Money and sex is what makes the World tick.  If you only wish to debate one of those, so be it, everyone else is broadminded.

7 hours ago, Thaidup said:

And stupid me, sitting back and watching,thinking,observing and researching, yet will be called a right wing antivaxxer if ever suggesting that it should be a choice without having to lose a job.

Well unless you are a government employee it would be a private camp enforcing vaccines requirement as employment

So you are saying you want the choice but also want to deny the choice of a private company

It doesn't work that way when talking about "choice"

For the record, I don't support having to have vaccines to work, with maybe the exception if dealing with public in a government job

Buy I recognize a company has just as much choice as an individual 

2 hours ago, LoongFred said:

That wasn't my point. If I were in Australia as a visitor, I wouldn't be in a position to criticize it's government or people. Just like if I were a visitor in your home, criticizing your furnishing or your choices of cleanliness. I just think it's rude.

Oh you are a visitor now, not a guest. Well that’s some progress I guess. 

I know you are using a metaphor when you mention furnishings. But that is a poor metaphor for what people criticise on the forum. If you were a “visitor” to someone’s house and you noticed the roof was about to collapse I think you would mention it to you host. If you noticed he had left his car unlocked on his drive, I think you would mention it. If his kids had run out the house and heading to danger in the road you would tell them or intervene. People don’t criticise the decoration at the airport or the choice of road sign colours or other trivia. Most are about universal human rights. Freedom of speech. Healthcare and education standards. Equal rights and equal opportunity. Corruption and the rule of law. 

You claim to be a retired doctor,  educated and intellectual. Yet you demean the issues of society in Thailand by reducing it to a furnishing metaphor. You continue to reach new depths of ignorance. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/27/2022 at 2:42 PM, Wackamole said:

Just like the rest of the tinfoil hat people round the world. And almost everywhere governments have had trouble holding a consistent line because too concerned with navigating everyone's feelings, instead of going 100% rational.

Had strong actions been taken globally whole thing could have been solved in a month, but you guys were calling it fake before it even started.

And somehow you've learned absolutely nothing and still firmly remain in the way of progress.

You obviously misunderstood my comment. My understanding of the current Thai policy regarding Covid is that there is irrational fear, so they are far away from being happy to move away from restrictions I conclude. Other than with Delta, Omikron is nothing much to be too worried about especially if you have been vaccinated.

All the rest of your comment I frankly regard as gibberish - for me it is clear as to who of the two of us is wearing a tin foil cap.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, riclag said:

(“The Thaiger particularly loves the barrage of reminders about 2 metre social distancing before getting on domestic flights, only to be bundled into a bus to get to a plane where you’re packed in like sardines”.)

The absurdity of it all!

especially at Thai restaurants and establishments ,sitting 1 meter away from someone ,maskless that does more talking than eating!

As if this covid moment of no social distancing is ok 555

Your comment reminds me of what happens on my bi-weekly flights to and from work.

They herd us all onto the plane, wait until we are all seated next to each other and then get on the PA and say 'please maintain safe separation while finding your seat'. 

They have never said it while people are actually finding their seats. 🤣🤣🤣