News Forum - To splash or not to splash? BMA mulls Songkran parties on Khao San Road, tourist hotspots

Thaiger

Fret not, splash happy expats. The tourism industry is fighting for your right to a Songkran water fight. Now the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is mulling whether to allow Songkran water splashing festivities to be held on Khao San Road, after the CCSA’s unpopular announcement banning water splashing activities for a third consecutive year sparked much backlash from local businesses this week. Earlier, the CCSA had agreed that water splashing would be allowed at organized events — as long as there is no alcohol. Their reversal dashed the hopes of the tourism industry, which has struck back with a joint petition […]

The story To splash or not to splash? BMA mulls Songkran parties on Khao San Road, tourist hotspots as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

You can’t even start to comprehend what goes through their heads. If you could get inside the mindset of these people I think it would scare you so much you would jump off a tall building. It’s like watching a group of 4 year olds with paper and crayons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CCSA’s mind for tourists:

Please pay several thousands of dollars including utterly meaningless pcr tests that might land you in confinement, eerrrrr an expensive crappy hotel room, for 10 days and enjoy wonderful Songkran activities like bowing to your elders. 

pcr tests today caught a whopping grand total of 0.01% of all pcr cases (not to mention actual infections including antigen tests). Lol. 

These guys make Joe Biden and Kamala Harris look like brain surgeons. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JJJ said:

pcr tests today caught a whopping grand total of 0.01% of all pcr cases (not to mention actual infections including antigen tests). Lol. 

So there's not much chance of getting detained then? Thought not. Time that myth was put to bed once and for all. 😀

19 minutes ago, Poolie said:

So there's not much chance of getting detained then? Thought not. Time that myth was put to bed once and for all. 😀

Well 0.01% is not the chance of a tourist’s positive test. It’s the total proportion to positive pcr tests.

We would need to now total arrivals. And if they’re false positive then yes it is a scam. Government seems to be awful quiet about the number of arrivals. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Well 0.01% is not the chance of a tourist’s positive test. It’s the total proportion to positive pcr tests.

We would need to now total arrivals. And if they’re false positive then yes it is a scam. Government seems to be awful quiet about the number of arrivals. 

134k in January, nearest I can find.

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Translation into English, please.

22 hours ago, astro said:

Translation into English, please.

Of the 27,000 cases reported 28 were travelers.

I think I was off a decimal place. Should be 0.1%. 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The only splash that this Government and folks wants to see is the splash of cash....

Nope … they want the full on Pattaya style Songkran water fight of cash ….. and a week of it too! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

On 3/25/2022 at 4:53 PM, Poolie said:

134k in January, nearest I can find.

So just around 4% of pre-pandemic volume. 😳😳 At that rate they can look forward to a staggering 1.6 million for the whole year. 

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

He was talking about the Thais Fred! 

M-150 bottle with Lao Kao will be available everywhere unfortunately....

• Haha 1

Authorities should ban more things in Khao San if they want the place to be a travellers hub again. It used to be a great place and now it has become a place to only get drunk. Soundsystems everywhere, extremely loud noise, normal people can´t talk, cheap alcohol, I even got punched there a month ago and nobody helped. But even Rembutree will become like that soon. Buckets are more expensive (and easier to prepare) than a khapao. Easy money, even if makes cultural travelers flock. I just hope soon I can find another area to share a beer with somebody keen to have a conversation.

9 hours ago, Costabrava said:

Authorities should ban more things in Khao San if they want the place to be a travellers hub again. It used to be a great place and now it has become a place to only get drunk. Soundsystems everywhere, extremely loud noise, normal people can´t talk, cheap alcohol, I even got punched there a month ago and nobody helped. But even Rembutree will become like that soon. Buckets are more expensive (and easier to prepare) than a khapao. Easy money, even if makes cultural travelers flock. I just hope soon I can find another area to share a beer with somebody keen to have a conversation.

I like Soi 11 to wander around and meet people

You don't get the fruit loops that hang around Nana

And there is a lot of open air bars/pubs yiu can sit and people watch and have a chat with fellow patrons

Some great food options on the Soi as well

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Costabrava said:

Why did someone punch you, did they not want to have a conversation?

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Impossible to have fun without alcohol😵

But covid spreads in alcohol breath. Follow the science🙂

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

M-150 bottle with Lao Kao

Sponser is a better mixer than M150, bigger bottle and sweeter taste, so yo need less LOL.😀

Too many scare mongering mode in this forum regarding false positive upon Day 1 T&G. As of March 1 through March 23,         195,703 incoming tourists arrived in Thailand; 1276 tests positive for COVID;   .65% rate. It will increase more after April 1st due to scrapping of PCR test before departure. Here's the link: 

30 minutes ago, ace035 said:

Too many scare mongering mode in this forum regarding false positive upon Day 1 T&G. As of March 1 through March 23,         195,703 incoming tourists arrived in Thailand; 1276 tests positive for COVID;   .65% rate. It will increase more after April 1st due to scrapping of PCR test before departure. Here's the link: 

Is this an interpretaor or is this lady in the video speaking?

If she is speaking, she's the best English speaking Thai I have ever encountered!