News Forum - Thailand cuts quarantine for unvaccinated travellers to 5 days

Thaiger

Starting April 1, the mandatory quarantine period for unvaccinated travellers entering Thailand will be reduced to five days. Travellers will also no longer need to take a pre-departure PCR Covid-19 test. The new requirements are pending publication in the Royal Gazette and the official announcement is expected to be published at the end of the month. Unvaccinated travellers can enter Thailand under the Alternative Quarantine scheme where they must isolate in an approved hotel and must be tested for Covid-19 before they are released. Prior to the revised rules, unvaccinated travellers faced a 10-day quarantine. Those who have been vaccinated […]

The story Thailand cuts quarantine for unvaccinated travellers to 5 days as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well they may then be one of those that tests positive on day 5.  I understand those needing waivers and not vaccinating because of certain medical conditions but when is enough enough and folks do the right thing like with measles, polio and so on.

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Still not enough to fix the tourism hole

like the potholes on the roads as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I understand those needing waivers and not vaccinating because of certain medical conditions but when is enough enough and folks do the right thing like with measles, polio and so on.

Old schoolers did it for the good of the many, the "do good" culture do it for selfish, self centered reasons and justify it by saying they are educated and have the right to blindly question everything and anything.

Then scream blue murder when it kills those they hold dear, they should be jailed for their stupidity but apparently, stupidity it is not a crime.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, palooka said:

Old schoolers did it for the good of the many, the "do good" culture do it for selfish, self centered reasons and justify it by saying they are educated and have the right to blindly question everything and anything.

Then scream blue murder when it kills those they hold dear, they should be jailed for their stupidity but apparently, stupidity it is not a crime.

Yea, its selfish of me to want to decide what goes into my body but its totally not selfish of you to want to control what goes in your body AND my body.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I’m wondering if there is a need to discriminate at all. Are unvaccinated arrivals more of a danger to Thai people than vaccinated arrivals? 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I’m wondering if there is a need to discriminate at all. Are unvaccinated arrivals more of a danger to Thai people than vaccinated arrivals? 

I think well before Covid, tourists being hospitalized has always been a concern for countries

You go to the clinic in Whistler Mountain and the 1st sign you see is about "payment for non-Canadians"

So with unvaccinated much more likely to be hospitalized, I think it is more of a hospital concern, than it being spread............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Marc26 said:

I think well before Covid, tourists being hospitalized has always been a concern for countries

You go to the clinic in Whistler Mountain and the 1st sign you see is about "payment for non-Canadians"

So with unvaccinated much more likely to be hospitalized, I think it is more of a hospital concern, than it being spread............

That may be true, but the objective of quarantine is to prevent infected individuals arriving and then infecting local people. 

I don’t see how unvaccinated people are any more likely than vaccinated people to be carrying the virus upon arrival.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

Yea, its selfish of me to want to decide what goes into my body but its totally not selfish of you to want to control what goes in your body AND my body.  

Is it selfish of me to want you to have a proven vaccine so that if I or my family want a hospital bed, we're not blocked by someone lying there with severe covid through choice/stupidity ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrNovax said:

You took the comment out of context. It is ok if you do not wish to take a vaccine proven safe and effective.  Good for you.   Those of us who are vaccinated and practice prevention have rights to. Please do not expect that you can force your way into the private spaces of others  or to push your way into public areas where you put the lives of others at risk. Do whatever you want in your own private space.

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

55 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

That may be true, but the objective of quarantine is to prevent infected individuals arriving and then infecting local people. 

I don’t see how unvaccinated people are any more likely than vaccinated people to be carrying the virus upon arrival.

Unvaccinated  people present more of a danger and are more likely to be carrying the virus upon arrival. Multiple papers have been published that show this. Unvaccinated people who are infected, shed more virus and present a greater risk to the general public than do vaccinated people. Unvaccinated people are more likely to be  in a highly infectious state than vaccinated people.

Understanding Breakthrough Infections Following mRNA SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Michael Klompas, MD, MPH1,2 JAMA. 2021;326(20):2018-2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.19063

-fully vaccinated people are substantially less prone to carry SARS-CoV-2 compared with unvaccinated people.

- survey of almost 100 000 people conducted in England in June-July 2021 during the height of that country’s spring Delta variant surge found that fully vaccinated people were two-thirds less likely to harbor SARS-CoV-2 compared with unvaccinated people

-  people who are fully vaccinated are less likely to become infected and if infected, will be contagious for shorter periods than unvaccinated people.

-Vaccines not only decrease transmission rates, but also decrease disease severity among individuals who do acquire infection.

Infectious viral load in unvaccinated and vaccinated patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 WT, Delta & Omicron Olha Puhach, Kenneth Adea, Nicolas Hulo, Pascale Sattonnet, Camille Genecand, Anne Iten, Frédérique JacquériozBausch, Laurent Kaiser, Pauline Vetter, Isabella Eckerle, Benjamin Meyerdoi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2022.01.10.22269010

- Vaccination was associated with lower infectious titres and faster clearance for Delta, showing that vaccination would also lower transmission risk.

Thailand should do what it can to keep unvaccinated people out. It made a big mistake when it accepted 1 dose of Sputnik vaccine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BigHewer said:

Vaccinated people can spread the virus, but you are still more likely to spread it unvaccinated. The other part is not overwhelming Thai healthcare which has limited capacity in many tourist areas, like Phuket. Broadly speaking, unvaccinated people make up the majority of seriously ill covid-19 inpatients.

That's without the overarching regional consequences of not appearing to have controls in place which other conservative Asian countries could look poorly upon, reflecting badly on the "safety" perception. Thailand knows that's where the real prize for tourism recovery long term lies and not the west.

They are grudgingly chipping away at it...as the other countries open up.....money #1.

Just wait til tourists start going elsewhere with their cash

Pain is a motivator--not foolish pride...

They should change that too for the vaccinated incoming tourists who get positive for COVID-19 asymptomatic to 5 days quarantine instead of 10 days.

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

Vaccinated people can spread the virus, but you are still more likely to spread it unvaccinated. The other part is not overwhelming Thai healthcare which has limited capacity in many tourist areas, like Phuket. Broadly speaking, unvaccinated people make up the majority of seriously ill covid-19 inpatients.

A valid point if true and I acknowledge that. But I still don’t understand why unvaccinated individuals have to quarantine for longer. 

I’m vaccinated (one shot, second one next week). Never been infected to my knowledge. I don’t consider unvaccinated folks a greater risk to my health than the vaccinated. Should I?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

A valid point if true and I acknowledge that. But I still don’t understand why unvaccinated individuals have to quarantine for longer. 

I’m vaccinated (one shot, second one next week). Never been infected to my knowledge. I don’t consider unvaccinated folks a greater risk to my health than the vaccinated. Should I?

Well technically, by the #'s, they are 

But not enough to worry about it, IMO

I am vaxxed, wash hands, etc and am comfortable being around anyone, regardless of vax status

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

No! 

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

No you shouldn't. 

I am vaccinated. However, my second shot was 13 months ago. So unless I get an antibody blood test done, I have no way of knowing whether or not I am more protected than someone who is unvaccinated. But here in the US, cases and deaths are declining steadily. Some would say that just proves that people didn't need to get vaccinated. And others would say that the 60% of people that did get vaccinated assisted in slowing the spread by lowering viral load in those that did get infected. 

Only if medically exempted anyone who has not got proof of vaccine should be banned from entry like Djokovic no exception.

10 hours ago, MrNovax said:

I thought all the no vaxxers were too busy litigating against those that injected all those vaccines for measles, mumps, polio, chicken pox etc when they were children. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just want to take this opportunity to remain thankful... to Thank God for government. Because... How would we survive? 🙏🏻

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Starting April 1, the mandatory quarantine period for unvaccinated travellers entering Thailand will be reduced to five days. Travellers will also no longer need to take a pre-departure PCR Covid-19 test. The new requirements are pending publication in the Royal Gazette and the official announcement is expected to be published at the end of the month. Unvaccinated travellers can enter Thailand under the Alternative Quarantine scheme where they must isolate in an approved hotel and must be tested for Covid-19 before they are released. Prior to the revised rules, unvaccinated travellers faced a 10-day quarantine. Those who have been vaccinated […]

The story Thailand cuts quarantine for unvaccinated travellers to 5 days as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Unless you have underlying medical conditions or underage, don't you need to be vaccinated to go onboard an airplane? 

1 hour ago, palooka said:

I thought all the no vaxxers were too busy litigating against those that injected all those vaccines for measles, mumps, polio, chicken pox etc when they were children

Can anyone untangle the word spaghetti here. If you feel that not taking an Emergency Use Authorization injection is comparable to a tested vaccine regime?

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Read the full story

This is weird for us

My wife flies on Aaron 2nd

Air Canada already says no pre-departure PCR test is needed but it hasn't been confirmed in the Royal Gazette yet