News Forum - Four suspects allegedly smuggled fake tobacco in Chanthaburi

Thaiger

Officials seized 83,154 packs of fake tobacco worth more than 10 million baht from four suspects in Chanthaburi yesterday. A police investigation found they smuggled the tobacco via the Ban Laem Immigration Checkpoint in Pong Nam Ron district, and sold the tobacco online. Two of the suspects were charged with allegedly selling fake tobacco, while the other two were charged with violating the 2017 Trademark Act. Police told Nation Thailand the network the suspects are part of has “several members”, although they didn’t specify how many. The police arrested the suspects after Thailand’s Economic Crime Suppression Division complained that  fake […]

The story Four suspects allegedly smuggled fake tobacco in Chanthaburi as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

15 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

What is 'fake tobacco' made of please?

Newspaper 🤭

I think the correct term should be counterfeit tobacco. Low grade tobacco packaged to to look like Marlboros

• Like 1

In addition, one source (of the article) claims that fake tobacco is contaminated with chemical residue that affects consumers, the other one claims that almost all fake cigarettes are seriously contaminated with heavy metals. Sounds (but is hard to take) serious: the message is that "fake" cigarettes are bad for your health.

Fake has become an overused word: "fake Marlboro" I get, "fake tobacco" I don't (although - on a personal note - I'm all for calling certain sausages fake, based on what I just tried to eat).