News Forum - Thailand’s tourism minister wants all border checkpoints in South opened by May

Thaiger

Thailand’s tourism minister says he expects all border checkpoints with Malaysia to be open by May 1, adding that the move will benefit both countries. According to a Nation Thailand report, Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn says his ministry will coordinate with the Foreign Affairs Ministry to agree the re-opening with the Malaysian authorities, including deciding Covid-19 prevention measures to be implemented at all checkpoints. The minister says he’s confident in Thailand’s Test & Go entry scheme, which he says can detect 85% of Covid-19 infections from the first day people enter Thailand. In a bid to reassure residents in the southern province […]

The story Thailand’s tourism minister wants all border checkpoints in South opened by May as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I totally agree with Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn and I have total confidence in Thailand’s Test & Go scheme to continue to decimate Thailands tourism industry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I totally agree with Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn and I have total confidence in Thailand’s Test & Go scheme to continue to decimate Thailands tourism industry. 

Meanwhile Singapore announced all entry restrictions will be dropped from 1 April including pre-approval for travel, VTLs, and post arrival testing for vaccinated adults and all children. 

Airplane travel still requires a pre-departure antigen test—which given its status as a transit hub probably makes sense. 

So let’s see that Philippines, Cambodia, Singapore in ASEAN (never mind Europe and USA) with sensible travel rules. 
Government to tourist businesses: “We dont care! And it shows”

• Like 1

Dear honorable minister, it is good that you are trying your best to open the border and revive the economy. Unless you drop the post arrival test, SHA + hotel accomodation and 5th Day ATK test - all completely, it is not going to influence most of the travelers from the south to cross the border. You can have the pre-arrival test as the verification. But not the post arrival tests and SHA + hotel accommodation. That is how want most it.....

Most visitors from malaysia and singapore come to south thailand for a cheapish  weekend break.

Until they can drive in and out of the country as normal they will not come.

Dear Thailand Tourism Minister, pls scrap the on arrival PCR test and first day mandatory stay under Test n Go.

Fully vaccinated should have a pre negative departure test before entering into Thailand by air. Dont understand why scrapped the pre departure test before flight to Thailand and insist on arrival PCR test?

The tourism minister only wants a increase tourism but is only focused on his/her own interest. The majority of Thais want restrictions to keep them safe

1 hour ago, Transam said:

I would have thought the majority of Thais would want to earn a living again, and if they want to be safer from catching Covid should be vaccinated and be taking relevant precautions.

I suspect there is Covid spreading in Thailand's own backyard, from their own who don't give a toss about precautions. I see it every day....🥴 

Correct, and Omicron is spreading quite fast in Isaan with reports from family of large clusters in Kalasin, Yasothon and elsewhere.  Those with the sniffles are quite happy to semi-isolate in their village as by reporting +ve tests they gain Government assistance with food and medication.  Covid numbers are skewed accordingly.

• Like 1