News Forum - Wednesday Covid Update: 25,164 new cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

80 coronavirus-related deaths were reported by the CCSA today, raising the pandemic’s death toll in Thailand to 24,497 with 2,799 of those fatalities since the start of this year.  In the 24-hour period since the last count, the CCSA recorded 25,164 new Covid-19 cases and 24,770 recoveries. There are now 237,128 people in Thailand being treated for Covid-19. Out of the new cases recorded today, 43 were found in correctional facilities. More than 80,000 inmates at Thailand’s overcrowded prisons and detention centres have tested positive for Covid-19 over the past several months. Since the start of the pandemic last year, […]

The story Wednesday Covid Update: 25,164 new cases; provincial totals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How come Thaiger and Bangkok post do not seem to understand there’s a strong weekly seasonality in these somewhat pointless figures?

BP subheadline: “ Daily cases rising again”

Looking back over a few month I believe it’s Monday and Tuesday that have the lowest numbers and Wednesday or Thursday with the highest.  It probably matches up to a couple day delay in testing (fewer test on the weekend mean fewer cases a few days later and a catch up of testing on Monday and Tuesday that gets reported Wednesday and Thursday). 

I mean the official numbers lack much reliability anyway in the sense that the number of pcr tests is highly managed and there’s no reason to retest positive tests. But even for the official tests, these “journalists” could at least put them in the proper context. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JJJ said:

How come Thaiger and Bangkok post do not seem to understand there’s a strong weekly seasonality in these somewhat pointless figures?

BP subheadline: “ Daily cases rising again”

Looking back over a few month I believe it’s Monday and Tuesday that have the lowest numbers and Wednesday or Thursday with the highest.  It probably matches up to a couple day delay in testing (fewer test on the weekend mean fewer cases a few days later and a catch up of testing on Monday and Tuesday that gets reported Wednesday and Thursday). 

I mean the official numbers lack much reliability anyway in the sense that the number of pcr tests is highly managed and there’s no reason to retest positive tests. But even for the official tests, these “journalists” could at least put them in the proper context. 

Just look at the death number... For what it's worth. 

55 minutes ago, JJJ said:

But even for the official tests, these “journalists” could at least put them in the proper context. 

I made the same point yesterday. Being a so called “journalist” in Thailand must be so easy. Just write down what people tell you. No need to fact check it. No need to challenge it with other data sources and no need for you to put things in to perspective. And most definitely no need to investigate sources. What a doddle!! 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I made the same point yesterday. Being a so called “journalist” in Thailand must be so easy. Just write down what people tell you. No need to fact check it. No need to challenge it with other data sources and no need for you to put things in to perspective. And most definitely no need to investigate sources. What a doddle!! 

Exactly. I mean Thaiger I understand their not exactly original journalism. But definitely BP does nothing. 

Just a side note/pet peeve on Thaiger, the one thing I wish is they did more summarization from Thai language sources too. I can read BP or Nation on my own but not other sources.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Exactly. I mean Thaiger I understand their not exactly original journalism. But definitely BP does nothing. 

Just a side note/pet peeve on Thaiger, the one thing I wish is they did more summarization from Thai language sources too. I can read BP or Nation on my own but not other sources.  

Since you mention pet peeve. The one that gets me is the use of the word “eyes”. The Government eyes new development. The other one is the use of the phrase “in the North Eastern Province”. So we get introductions such as “women goes crazy in the North eastern province of Buriram. Why can’t they just say Buriram?  😂

806B3F31-A3D5-4A7A-AED9-22A818CC5374.jpeg

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Since you mention pet peeve. The one that gets me is the use of the word “eyes”. The Government eyes new development. The other one is the use of the phrase “in the North Eastern Province”. So we get introductions such as “women goes crazy in the North eastern province of Buriram. Why can’t they just say Buriram?  😂

806B3F31-A3D5-4A7A-AED9-22A818CC5374.jpeg

TBH “eyes” is quite accurate as it means “would like but lacks the courage or means to do so” 🤣 The government eyes rich tourists, the government eyes more tech investments, the government eyes high skilled workers, the government eyes a Chanel bag at CentralWorld 😂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JJJ said:

TBH “eyes” is quite accurate as it means “would like but lacks the courage or means to do so” 🤣 The government eyes rich tourists, the government eyes more tech investments, the government eyes high skilled workers, the government eyes a Chanel bag at CentralWorld 😂

Yes spot on. I won’t find it so annoying now I read it as you state. Makes perfect sense 👍🏻