News Forum - Isaan tradition of scattering ashes banned at local river after 7 villages complain of debris

Thaiger

The tradition of scattering a loved one’s ashes into a river in the Isaan province has been banned in a popular area for the ritual after locals reported that a service was arranging boat trips for families to dump not only the cremated remains into the river, but also ritual items and personal possessions of the deceased. Sometimes even mattresses and pillows were thrown in. In northeastern Thailand, known as Isaan, some families will travel far to scatter ashes into the Mun River in Nakhon Ratchasima. The Bangkok Post says it is common for boats to be docked by popular […]

The story Isaan tradition of scattering ashes banned at local river after 7 villages complain of debris as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I think in a traditional wood fuelled cremation you do get bits of skull and bone remaining probably because of the lower burn temperature,I've certainly seen bits of the deceased that I could still identify a few times.

Seen chinese burning paper replicas of items the deceased liked before but the dumping of trash at the same time is a new one on me.

About time they opened natural burial grounds with a high temp furnace next door for the bodies only.