News Forum - Phuket man paralysed by drunk officer seeks 15 million baht in compensation

Thaiger

The family of the noodle vendor who was shot by a drunk, off-duty police officer last year on Phuket’s Bangla Road is seeking compensation of 15 million baht. The 25 year old vendor was shot in the stomach with the bullet lodged in his spine, paralysing him from the waist down. The officer is now on trial for attempted murder, carrying a firearm in a public area without necessary reason, and firing a weapon in a public area. Back in February of last year, the vendor was shot in the stomach by the intoxicated officer as he was walking, tending […]

The story Phuket man paralysed by drunk officer seeks 15 million baht in compensation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

At least the perpetrator is a policeman and hence likely to have 15 Million. If he was a doctor, teacher, engineer or other hard working professional they would likely be in debt to their credit card company. 

Why has it taken over a year to get this guy to trial? 

• Like 1

So he shoot him by accident then shoot him again at close range most be a accident to and then he kickt him by mistake he must be a very unlucky policeman  

On 3/22/2022 at 10:27 AM, Soidog said:

At least the perpetrator is a policeman and hence likely to have 15 Million. If he was a doctor, teacher, engineer or other hard working professional they would likely be in debt to their credit card company. 

Police salary is roughly 10,000 baht a month - even Dick Turpin can’t get to those amounts in an average lifetime. 

A year is nothing compared to the west 

It would be easier, the trial, if the victim would have died, surprisingly?

One of the reasons, the family of the victim was against bail, methinks!

13 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Police salary is roughly 10,000 baht a month

That is about 20 years old news. Aside that in Phuket (the south) they already got 500 baht/day, 20 years ago (I think, in the Thaiger's predecessor outlet, Phuket Gazette, should be something to find about), after the minimum pay went up to 300/400 Baht/day, they did not forget their own! 

53 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Police salary is roughly 10,000 baht a month - even Dick Turpin can’t get to those amounts in an average lifetime. 

A year is nothing compared to the west 

I think you may have missed the sarcasm. The police who earn 150,000-200,000 baht a year salary often seem to have a lot more money. Ferrari Joe for example. This cop could well have 15 million he embezzled from others say blind his bank? 

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

That is about 20 years old news. Aside that in Phuket (the south) they already got 500 baht/day, 20 years ago (I think, in the Thaiger's predecessor outlet, Phuket Gazette, should be something to find about), after the minimum pay went up to 300/400 Baht/day, they did not forget their own! 

Eh ? Which works out to what ? Circa 10k a month(ish) per chance ? 

A sergeant 3 years ago was on a basic of 14k a month - I would be taking backhanders too just to feed my family. Pay them a decent wage and corruption MIGHT dip . 

16 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Eh ? Which works out to what ? Circa 10k a month(ish) per chance ? 

20+ years ago, a time minimum pay was under 200/day. Since then it went up. 20-25k/month is much more realistic.

PLUS all the other benefits and such.

Of course, not enought to get the 15 Mill. , In special if in prision. But that might be the number, the police department will negotiate down, for the face and the image (of the police forces)

19 hours ago, Guest1 said:

20+ years ago, a time minimum pay was under 200/day. Since then it went up. 20-25k/month is much more realistic.

PLUS all the other benefits and such.

Of course, not enought to get the 15 Mill. , In special if in prision. But that might be the number, the police department will negotiate down, for the face and the image (of the police forces)

You have to go a long way up the police tree for a 25k a month basic salary.

Cops looking for an out, likely hoping his family will accept anything to help pay his keep or he will die from his injuries and thus reduce payout 50,000 baht if lucky. Sadly the world is all about money.  Not just Thailand in Australia if you die in a road accident your family get $50,000 from the State Govt via inclusive annual registration fees on your vehicle. Sees your remains out of this world I suppose. No idea what happens to the illegals on the roads though.

6 hours ago, palooka said:

Cops looking for an out, likely hoping his family will accept anything to help pay his keep or he will die from his injuries and thus reduce payout 50,000 baht if lucky. Sadly the world is all about money.  Not just Thailand in Australia if you die in a road accident your family get $50,000 from the State Govt via inclusive annual registration fees on your vehicle. Sees your remains out of this world I suppose. No idea what happens to the illegals on the roads though.

I agree, but that about 1.2 MILLION baht. A long way from 50,000 which is disgraceful. 

I don’t want to leave Thailand for good, but if I do, I will dedicate myself to making the world realise what a total bunch of corrupt and disgusting set up exits here. It amazes me that you get young people who are fixated on global warming and gender freedoms and god only know what else, and yet come to Thailand where none of that is respected. What a pathetic joke. Poor Thai peaiple 😢

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palooka said:

Not the world my friend. Just these corrupt and immoral sh*t holes like Thailand  

• Like 1