News Forum - Phuket proposes visa and work permit scheme for digital nomads in Thailand

Thaiger

32 minutes ago, Fanta said:

If you are paid dividends in your own country while on vacation where is that income taxable? End of story. 

Agree^.and the two caveats you placed in the comment are, "in your own country" and "while on vacation"

I still fail to understand the argument against non citizens of Thailand or any country for the matter, not having to pay income tax on money they earn in that country.? I listed why they should, now tell me why they should not?

51 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Agree^.and the two caveats you placed in the comment are, "in your own country" and "while on vacation"

You left off one vital word in my “caveats“. “paid in your own country”

And earn needs clarification
1) Earn money from a different country while physically located in the host country?
Tax payable in your home country and possibly different country. 

2) earn from the host country’s economy? 
Tax payable in host country and your own country.

The dividends on vacation example is the same as the digital nomad scenario.
Stocks or your time = resources you invest to generate income

On vacation = physical location

Paid in your country = taxable income

9 minutes ago, Fanta said:

You left off one vital word in my “caveats“. “paid in your own country”

And earn needs clarification
1) Earn money from a different country while physically located in the host country?
Tax payable in your home country and possibly different country. 

2) earn from the host country’s economy? 
Tax payable in host country and your own country.

The dividends on vacation example is the same as the digital nomad scenario.
Stocks or your time = resources you invest to generate income

On vacation = physical location

Paid in your country = taxable income

Clarification, 1) actively earn an income whilst in a host country.NOT what you are earning from home.

Clarification ,1:1) Emphasis on the word "actively" definition> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actively

Need I explain further?  IE; 2) and the on vacation part or paid in your country part, I think ^ that explains it all?

6 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Clarification, 1) actively earn an income whilst in a host country.NOT what you are earning from home.

Clarification ,1:1) Emphasis on the word "actively" definition> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actively

Need I explain further?  IE; 2) and the on vacation part or paid in your country part, I think ^ that explains it all?

I must not have explained my point of view  clearly enough for you and I’m done. Enjoy paying tax wherever you wish. 

• Like 1

To give an analogy.

My neighbor has a limited power supply, He asks me to connect my power supply, I say OK mate no wuckers, just pay me for what you use.

Turns out that the neighbor is making money off that extra power I am giving him at cost, He might be charging car batteries, or selling power cells, or whatever? Now I expect to get a cut off that profit he is making, consider it a tax. So basically if you are using an infrastructure to earn an income you are obligated to pay for some of that infrastructure.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, Marc26 said:

And that's about 6 months

There are not too many tourist visas that go beyond 6 months 

You then have to get some sort of immigrant visa 

No you do not need visa. Some can do the runs through the borders to renew their stay but run the risks of staying more than 183 days.