When do we think we'll be able to leave Thailand for a holiday?

Sanch

I'm not complaining because Thailand has such a varied landscape and we can go on domestic holidays. But would like to visit my parents. I'm thinking (hoping) end of year. I hope you're all more optimistic than me!

I think it will be very late in the year before we can travel out of Thailand.  Currently when re-entering Thailand there is mandatory quarantine on arrival for 10 days and i would hope this would be reduced down over the next couple of months.

I remain very positive that the Country is heading in the right direction and we can expect normality sooner than later.

• 2 weeks later...

On May 7th, i was very positive regarding travel out of Thailand and after reading news articles , my positivity has gone out the window and now cannot seeing it happening this year.

On 5/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, Sanch said:

I'm not complaining because Thailand has such a varied landscape and we can go on domestic holidays. But would like to visit my parents. I'm thinking (hoping) end of year. I hope you're all more optimistic than me!

I was very optimistic last year and hoped to be traveling again long before now.   The current wave + new variants and major resurgence in Taiwan, India and other places seems to suggest the worst is not yet over.  By year end vaccination data should be showing the way forward,

Are you from Spain perhaps?  Euro and Usa travelers may have an easier time but for Kiwis and Aussies I'm sure borders will remain closed until 2022 for anyone other than returning citizens. 

And the 64 million baht question then becomes - can one return easily to Thailand.  Whilst quarantine restrictions are in force both ways, along with required tests and documentation plus uncertain flight schedules, I'll stay put.

I think that international travel will not return to 'normal' levels for a long time - meaning anyone going anywhere. As for travel to and from Thailand, I would say some time in 2022 but to limited destinations and only for the vaccinated. Exactly when depends on what is really happening with the Covid virus in terms of it's spread and mutations worldwide, and how effective the vaccines end up being worldwide.   I dont think the true numbers are being reported in the third world - there was no way the virus was not spreading already in India, and there is very little chance the spread in Africa and Sth America is as low as being reported. The more a virus spreads, the more it mutates - that is the big unknown issue about the vaccines and how effective they will be.  Vaccines will slow the spread, but how much the experts do not know yet - and they will not know until later this year.  Get vaccinated now is my plan, and I hope enough other people get vaccinated quickly too. 

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Get vaccinated now is my plan

Chance would be a fine thing . . . great plan, though!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, King Cotton said:

Chance would be a fine thing . . . great plan, though!

Wife registered me on the Thai Mor Prom app using Pink (not for) ID card.  I selected a mid July appointment so as to see how the vax program pans out and if AZ gets any bad reports I'd defer until MRNA ones come available.  I dont mind paying for a better product.

So far the AZ vax looks ok for us oldies.   I'm quite sure that vax certificates will be mandatory for any destination which opens up for tourists and AZ seems to have approval for most countries.

• Like 1

Hello Andrew, and not all residents/expats are equal as there are those who have a lot of money and can afford to go to private hospitals for the vaccine, unlike the rest of us who have to wait.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I don't mind the quarantine as such, but the process for (xxCOExx) is too lengthy. I hope by November all will be easier.