News Forum - Hospitality sector, tourism operators call for entry restrictions to be dropped now

Thaiger

20 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I agree with all of that

But I still think Fred is right in that the average Thai doesn't care............

That could well be true, although there is a growing voice starting to call for relaxation. The country will open fully at some point and so it’s simply a question of why wait? What is it they are waiting for? It’s not like Covid isn’t well and truly established in the local communities. Delay is just causing more financial hardship. Let’s see if the average Thai steers to care when the impact of all this bites. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

That could well be true, although there is a growing voice starting to call for relaxation. The country will open fully at some point and so it’s simply a question of why wait? What is it they are waiting for? It’s not like Covid isn’t well and truly established in the local communities. Delay is just causing more financial hardship. Let’s see if the average Thai steers to care when the impact of all this bites. 

Again I agree, if they are going to drop arrival test to ATK and no 5 day 1 month after dropping pre-arrival testing than just do it all at same time

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LoongFred said:

The reduction of arrival is also a reflection of the world economy. Tourism is down worldwide so how would reducing restrictions help. It could help so but many wouldn't want to get on long flights that could expose them unnecessarily.  Frankly, I would hope airlines require testing before departure, so my getting infected during the flight is reduced. 

Getting sick when on a vacation is a real bummer. Let's hope they don't throw caution to the wind because a few complain.

Do you test yourself for covid every time before leaving your house and having interactions with other people? I don't know if you are aware but your chances of contracting covid a much much higher in a store,bar,restaurant etc than they are onboard a modern aircraft.Google HEPA filters and your concerns regarding contracting covid onboard a flight will be eased.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Do you test yourself for covid every time before leaving your house and having interactions with other people? I don't know if you are aware but your chances of contracting covid a much much higher in a store,bar,restaurant etc than they are onboard a modern aircraft.Google HEPA filters and your concerns regarding contracting covid onboard a flight will be eased.

But you could have covid before getting on the flight and not know it

That's why people(myself included) will take a test regardless for some assurance that we don't have covid and then test positive on arrival

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But you could have covid before getting on the flight and not know it

That's why people(myself included) will take a test regardless for some assurance that we don't have covid and then test positive on arrival

I was responding to someone who seemed to be saying testing should be required for all flights regardless of border controls incase someone boards the flight with covid.I will fly to Thailand next month and will also test pre flight even though it won't be required I will test for the sole reason testing in mandatory on arrival.If no testing was required on arrival why on earth would you test pre flight if you felt well.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nathan said:

I was responding to someone who seemed to be saying testing should be required for all flights regardless of border controls incase someone boards the flight with covid.I will fly to Thailand next month and will also test pre flight even though it won't be required I will test for the sole reason testing in mandatory on arrival.If no testing was required on arrival why on earth would you test pre flight if you felt well.

Ok, I agree with that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I agree with all of that

But I still think Fred is right in that the average Thai doesn't care............

The problem is that there is no such thing as the ‘average Thai’. The average Bangkok taxi driver or Phuket hotel owner with a mere 10% occupancy cares very much about the lack of tourists. On the other hand the average Thai farming family cares far more about the wholesale price of rice or pigs than he cares about tourists. And we have to remember that Thailand is still primarily an agricultural country employing millions more people than the tourist industry ever did. So what the ‘average Thai’ thinks rather depends on whether you go to Ko Samui or Kantharalak to ask the question.

Edited by Leeshard

13 minutes ago, Leeshard said:

The problem is that there is no such thing as the ‘average Thai’. The average Bangkok taxi driver or Phuket hotel owner with a mere 10% occupancy cares very much about the lack of tourists. On the other hand the average Thai farming family cares far more about the wholesale price of rice or pigs than he cares about tourists. And we have to remember that Thailand is still primarily an agricultural country employing millions more people than the tourist industry ever did. So what the ‘average Thai’ thinks rather depends on whether you go to Ko Samui or Kantharalak to ask the question.

To be quite honest , I don't think the vast majority of people working in tourism making 15-20k/mo is all that freaked out either 

Most went home and got helped out by family 

Their family dynamic is set up that way....

It is foolish to load a plane with non  tested people then test them when landing in Thailand. The infection rate will have most passengers in quareenteen. Can you imagine being on a plane with 300 people breathing in circulating air and nobody gets pre tested? Then they test you on the way off the plane. Not me, not this year. 

1 hour ago, Leeshard said:

Thais everywhere talk about covid. These are everyday people who are concerned. They see covid creeping into their community and are concerned. These people are not at all concerned about tourist areas and want to assure safety. 

Those in touristy areas care because their income is affected, they are not the majority.

15 hours ago, Nathan said:

I am also flying to Thailand next month and agree with you 100%.

I will also test before flying and fortunately so will everyone else on my 1st flight as I am transiting through Singapore and a RAT or NAAT/PCR is required. Not so sure about the rules flying Singapore - Thailand.

I would have tested prior to flying even if none was required due to the PCR on arrival in Thailand.