News Forum - Iconic Thai rockstar writes song “Let go of Covid”, calls to end Covid-19 restrictions

Thaiger

An iconic Thai rockstar released a song this week calling on Thailand’s government to lift all Covid-19 restrictions. The song is titled “Let go of Covid”. The singer, known to Thais as ‘Aed Carabao’, said in a post that he went to a football tournament in the UK, and was shocked by how much life had returned to normal compared to Thailand. He said he felt self-conscious being the only person wearing a mask in a stadium of 90,000 people. In the lyrics to his new song, Carabao says that people have already been vaccinated. He says that for two […]

The story Iconic Thai rockstar writes song “Let go of Covid”, calls to end Covid-19 restrictions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Awesome. This is what rockers are supposed to do.

Meanwhile Neil Young and Joni Mitchell want Joe Rogan deplatformed for inquiring about covid other than the government approved script. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

"Born as a citizen, a life is more important than your political game”.

I have a feeling this song will be a hit.

• Haha 1

Now he is a critic and before a staunch supporter?

He has lost a lot followers and respect from his support of the regime before. I don’t think he will ever be top dog again. Better he just retire and go away. And I met him once. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now he is a critic and before a staunch supporter?

He has lost a lot followers and respect from his support of the regime before. I don’t think he will ever be top dog again. Better he just retire and go away. And I met him once. 

Yellow shirt and supporter of the PM dressing like a tuk tuk driver, writing lyrics about starving while being a multi millionaire! Hard to take him seriously, but any protest is better than none, which has been his stance for decades.

6 hours ago, JJJ said:

Awesome. This is what rockers are supposed to do.

Meanwhile Neil Young and Joni Mitchell want Joe Rogan deplatformed for inquiring about covid other than the government approved script. 

His music is phua cheewit, songs for life, and is meant to be about social commentary and protest, but has become watered down decades ago. The roots of the movement were communist and songs for life a name given by a marxist. Caravan were the original activist band, Carabao came later and was prominent in the 1992 demos. But his songs have never been aimed much at the establishment, it's more of a pose. Songs like made in Thailand and the lintel were more aimed at nationalist pride than pointing out injustice and inequality. He does give to charity though, and supports older artists without making a big deal out of it.

Well, if he lost supporters (of his music) because of his previous support for COVID restrictions, and is changing his tune now in hopes of clawing some supporters back, he's a smarmy pud.

On the other hand, we should collectively accept people who allow themselves to change - better late than never. 

That's far better than being an immature child with an unwarranted ego who stupidly paints himself into a corner, then purses his lips and folds his arms in stubborn defiance.

Edited by Faz
irrelevant image removed

14 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Yellow shirt and supporter of the PM dressing like a tuk tuk driver, writing lyrics about starving while being a multi millionaire! Hard to take him seriously, but any protest is better than none, which has been his stance for decades.

I used to really like him and even have seen them in concert, but now he is just an eel with zero credibility protest or not. Perhpas his protests were just a false narative to make money.

13 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Songs like made in Thailand

Very catchy song and fun to listen to. Giving to charity may also be another false sense, but I hope not for his case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sarisin said:

The Thais will view him differently. They don't seem have the same levels of envy. They are quite happy being piss-poor and represented by a multi-millionaire. Not unusual globally, but this gut has been genuine for decades.

I applaud him, and if he has changed political allegiances over the years then that is something that should be admired in a democracy.

Interesting that he has 2 Farang son-in-laws.

28 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

The Thais will view him differently. They don't seem have the same levels of envy. They are quite happy being piss-poor and represented by a multi-millionaire. Not unusual globally, but this gut has been genuine for decades.

I applaud him, and if he has changed political allegiances over the years then that is something that should be admired in a democracy.

Interesting that he has 2 Farang son-in-laws.

Some Thais will view him differently, that does not mean he has not always been something of a fraud where 'protest music' has been concerned, he has always been more about business than fighting for the poor, that image is utter BS. Can you name one song in over 30 years that has been a relevant songs for life message? I don't find it interesting he has 2 foreign sons- in laws, every other Thai family seems to have a least one these days.

42 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Some Thais will view him differently, that does not mean he has not always been something of a fraud where 'protest music' has been concerned, he has always been more about business than fighting for the poor, that image is utter BS. Can you name one song in over 30 years that has been a relevant songs for life message? I don't find it interesting he has 2 foreign sons- in laws, every other Thai family seems to have a least one these days.

You do understand, don't you, that most people don't give a flying fart what you think.......

Even less about your opinion of a Thai.

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

You do understand, don't you, that most people don't give a flying fart what you think.......

You can't answer the question about his music and come back with insults then instead, as expected. Maybe if you knew something about the subject a rational response might be had, instead of an emotional one.

The article states: "......He said he felt self-conscious being the only person wearing a mask in a stadium of 90,000 people..." while in the UK.

A silly statement as far as I can see, in the last week alone the number of virus cases in the UK have doubled, there are more than 100,000 new cases a day, but the number of deaths is not rising, the hospitalisation cases are rising but not that much.

The reason for the above results in the UK is we have a very high number of people with two or three vaccines each, Thailand on the other hand have not and so if they open up as we have done then those rising cases will cause many more deaths and hospitalisation for the serious cases. 

The vast majority live their day to day lives nowadays in the UK as though the virus never happened, we are over the worst of it it seems, it is now just thought of as the same as the flu here. 

Thailand, get vaccinated and then open up and be free, what are you waiting for?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Poolie said:

Hehe.  A smarmy pud. Love it. May I use that here, please? There's so many deserve the soubriquet! 😀

Exponentially and soubriquet on the same day - can you calm it down please and talk proper like wot we do init.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Benroon said:

Exponentially and soubriquet on the same day - can you calm it down please and talk proper like wot we do init.

Exponentially was said to make a point. Soubriquet less so, that was just showing off. 😃

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Yeah I agree with that, if a politician makes a right ricket and gets lambasted for it, if he/she then reflects on it and comes out with you know what chaps I've listened to you and you are correct and I was wrong, he's lambasted even more for making a 'u-turn' ! (Classic one in point Bojo has just compared the plight of the Ukranian people to those who voted for Brexit, no seriously he did - the lambasting has started so I'm expecting a mealy mouthed u-turn around Tuesday)

I wouldn't be a UK MP if they put another nought on the end of the salary !

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but is there technically another type of fart ?

14 minutes ago, Benroon said:
5 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but is there technically another type of fart ?

Fartuitous?

• Haha 2