Tar balls wash ashore on several Phuket beaches

Thaiger

An oil spill that hit the north end of Phuket on Sunday has now stretched the entire length of the island as tar balls have washed up on the southernmost beach in Phuket as well. No source of the oil has been identified yet. Tar balls first washed up a few days ago on Mai Khao Beach, a stretch of sand at the top of Phuket island. Officials believed it to be an isolated incident at the time. But now more tar has washed up on the southernmost beach in Phuket, Nai Harn Beach. Kata Beach also saw some tar […]

The post Tar balls wash ashore on several Phuket beaches appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So you can’t leave the island for two weeks, tracking wrist bands, no bars, no clubs, few restaurants, monsoon rain, living with the constant risk of testing positive and being sent to a Thai detention facility, and now the beaches are fouled with tar. Are a plague of locusts next? You couldn’t make stuff like this up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

Re : Tar balls on the sandy beaches  . Living for some years in the southern end of Phuket I used to go swimming at Nai Harn beach . Various times there were some of this tar balls in the sand . So I got dirty feet . Later I carried a small bottle with gasoline and an old rag for cleaning . Oceangoing Vessels that used heavy oil as fuel for their main engines ( not fishing boats with Diesel )  are cleaning the fuel with so called Separators to get rid of water and other partikels . This waste ends up in the sludge tank. I used to sail to sea as ship's Electricien  ( 1970 - 1989 ) and at that time  in the dark of the night the night watches in the engine room pumped out those tanks at high  seas . Since this balls are laying on the surface they are carried across the oceans by wind and waves and end up later ashore  .-  Nowadays it is of course prohibit to dump such waste an is burned in special incinerators aboard or should be given ashore , naturally for a price . To avoid this and save the bonus - chief engineers are ordering  the crew to pump out !  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aschi47 said:

Re : Tar balls on the sandy beaches

An excellent debut post, sir and, as a retired technician, I enjoyed all the messy details (:-)

Hello, Aschi47 and welcome to T-T!

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

KC