News Forum - Unpacking the long and winding road to ‘endemic’ in Thailand – latest changes to Covid restrictions

Thaiger

Strap in for the tortuous journey towards Thailand’s opening up without the Covid red tape – a four month trip where the country’s long list of confusing and sometimes conflicting restrictions will slowly be binned. But even when we get to July, if all goes to plan (it rarely does), we will still face a number of lingering questions about the survival of the Thailand Pass and treatment of foreigners who test positive for Covid. Even after yesterday’s CCSA announcements, the major impediments to travelling to Thailand remain – pre-paid PCR test and 1 night of accommodation, wearing masks, limitations […]

The story Unpacking the long and winding road to ‘endemic’ in Thailand – latest changes to Covid restrictions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

if all goes to plan (it rarely does)

Reversing into the future is rarely a great idea.

Thaiger - You seem to be confusing testing with vaccination in the paragraph commencing "(A note about that first initiative..." 

They are separate issues and you may want to provide some assistance to the anonymous writer responsible for this article. 

One issue often omitted from these announcements - from 1 July, what's going to happen to the enforced hospitel quarantine for those positive cases with minimal or no symptoms?

Having been the subject of this process once, I am reluctant to take a chance again. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DonnoAus said:

Thaiger - You seem to be confusing testing with vaccination in the paragraph commencing "(A note about that first initiative..." 

They are separate issues and you may want to provide some assistance to the anonymous writer responsible for this article. 

Sorted.

• Thanks 1

It’s obvious the government has no interest in supporting tourism businesses or nightlife establishments. Say hello to the 2022 recession. 

• Like 2

"From May 1, you will only be required to take a supervised ATK on arrival (wither at the airport or designated venue), so no PCR test or compulsory SHA+ hotel stay for the first night". I doubt until it happens and publish at Royal Gazette.

• Like 1

Emergency decree gets extended is all you need to know that this is no where near over. Even the pre flight PCR news is hedged (p.s. unless you are on a direct flight to BKK - not transiting through another airport/changing planes - the airlines are going to have a different opinion on if you need a pre flight PCR test). Frankly, you are foolish not to get a preflight PCR test if you are being PCR tested on arrival anyway. I'm going to take some control of my own destiny (giving myself some assurance before I fly), and not leave it all to chance on a PCR test on arrival.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cabra said:

Emergency decree gets extended is all you need to know that this is no where near over. Even the pre flight PCR news is hedged (p.s. unless you are on a direct flight to BKK - not transiting through another airport/changing planes - the airlines are going to have a different opinion on if you need a pre flight PCR test). Frankly, you are foolish not to get a preflight PCR test if you are being PCR tested on arrival anyway. I'm going to take some control of my own destiny (giving myself some assurance before I fly), and not leave it all to chance on a PCR test on arrival.

Probably a sensible precaution. But of course the Thai authorities have this the wrong way around. Leave the pre-departure test in place (required by some airlines anyway) and scrap the arrival test. Nobody wants a nail biting 24 hours after arrival waiting for a negative test. A back packer might risk it but a well heeled family of four which is just the type of tourists the government want to encourage would be mad to take the risk. 

• Like 8

I don't agree. The protest should be the travelers or airlines responsibility.  The test on arrival because controlled by ther Thai health department needs to stay. The only thing I'd add is that with Thai pass a warning about positive test on arrival and encourage traveler to testto prevent  inconvenience.  

9 hours ago, DonnoAus said:

One issue often omitted from these announcements - from 1 July, what's going to happen to the enforced hospitel quarantine for those positive cases with minimal or no symptoms?

Having been the subject of this process once, I am reluctant to take a chance again. 

You don't need to do compulsory hospital stay anymore, that changed awhile ago. Self isolate at home or hotel if positive. 
what is the likelihood that quarantine for un- or partially vaccinated will be lifted? 

• Like 1

I have been following the Thaiger reportage especially of the pandemic restriction situation for 2 years and would like to thank those responsible for their straightforward and accurate assessments. This latest one especially has yet again given the situation as it really is allowing me to make some realistic planning for my return.

Well done Thaiger, keep it up, and thanks again.

Anya. 

• Like 4

Procedure and cost too much and risk of scam positive still remains. In country restrictions remain. Tourists will be discouraged ufn.

• Like 2

Maybe I'll take a look into returning to Thailand in 2023 or 2024, but for now, my money will go to countries that actually want it. Cambodia, Vietnam, and the Philippines seem to want it. Thailand? Who knows? 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2022 at 9:26 AM, JJJ said:

It’s obvious the government has no interest in supporting tourism businesses or nightlife establishments. Say hello to the 2022 recession. 

The junta has been anti bar/nightlife since the first day they forcibly took power, Covid came as a gift to accelerate that process. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I don't agree. The protest should be the travelers or airlines responsibility.  The test on arrival because controlled by ther Thai health department needs to stay. The only thing I'd add is that with Thai pass a warning about positive test on arrival and encourage traveler to testto prevent  inconvenience.  

I agree with that but if there is no PRE flight test required then the likelihood is you are almost certainly going to be trapped on your plane with the contaged anti vax loons thereby being put in harms way. There is no chance they’re going to be taking any consideration for other people into account. 

If there is going to be any PCR test at all it has to make sense to get it before flying imo. (I haven’t got a problem with it personally knowing that my fellow passengers have made an effort to not be a selfish ****) - if anyone can get on a plane what’s the chances 400+ people will be covid free? 

• Like 4

The reality is the Thai government is going to have to dig down deep and come to grips that COVID is not going anywhere. Weather they open their borders easing the entry process or not I hope they at least let all the businesses re open and let their people go back to work. We can sit here and bicker back and fourth all all year long about the entry process but until they free their people from all the mandates and let them get on with their lives Thailand will not ease up on there entry rules. That’s the only way . Once they are comfortable living with COVID in there own country they will be comfortable letting in tourist without all these stipulations. 

Thank You

Marvin Yeager

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The topic was about reduced changes in restrictions from April 1st, which has long passed.

A member with his own agenda attempted to change the topic to vaccine effectiveness.
All posts have been removed and topic closed.

There is a special section for discussion of vaccines. Open a new thread in that section.
Members high jacking topics in an attempt to change the debate will receive a warning.

Moderator.