News Forum - Australia plans to sue Facebook owner over scam ads for cryptocurrency

Thaiger

Australian officials are suing Facebook’s owner, Meta Platforms, over scam ads for cryptocurrency schemes. The ads feature well-known Australians, including a politician and a businessman, who they claim endorse the schemes. In reality, the figures never endorsed the schemes, or approved the ads. Australia’s consumer protection commission said the ads also contained links to fake articles with quotes claiming to be by the public figures. One consumer allegedly lost over US$480,000 from a false ad for an investment opportunity. The commission’s chair said the scam ads not only steal consumers’ money, but damage the public figures’ reputations. The commission announced […]

The story Australia plans to sue Facebook owner over scam ads for cryptocurrency as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Feels like most of the adds on Facebook are scams! Especially when they let you tell them to stop showing you irrelevant adverts and get an assurance that you'll never see the advert again only to have it reappear the next time you log on, but now with the option to "hide ad" removed! I HATE zuckerburg!!!

• Like 2

Basically the same is with YouTube ads. 

All ads I have chosen to look into so far were overpriced at best or complete scam at worst.

I have never seen any decent ad there so far, so I just ignore them all for good.