News Forum - Another dry Songkran. No water fights for the Thai New Year

Thaiger

It’s going to be another dry Songkran. For the third time, water fights have been banned for the Thai New Year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The holiday, which is April 13 to 15 this year, is celebrated with massive water fights with crowds shooting water guns, spraying water hoses, and dumping buckets of water on each other. Everyone gets soaked… but not this year. The water fights and foam parties, particularly in public areas, have been banned due to the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak. Thai officials say only traditional Songkran activities are allowed, which includes going to temples, praying, and […]

The story Another dry Songkran. No water fights for the Thai New Year as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

decided to ban powder after sexual harassment reports of some people rubbing the powder on others on inappropriate areas

The guy who came up with the idea in the first place should have thought about that... Or was that exactly what he did🤔

13 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

It’s going to be another dry Songkran. For the third time, water fights have been banned for the Thai New Year

If they just could grow a habit

• Like 1

Thank you once again China CCP! You really know how to put life and festivies down and have outstepped yourself on this virus this time. Of course this is my opinion, but all of the such we all here as human beings seem to feel the effect that never should have ever come about. The gift that keeps on giving.

• Like 2

Just like in Europe, during the last two years, where covid seems to get particularly bad at Christmas causing the cancellation or obstruction of traditional celebrations and people getting together

3 minutes ago, Johnnyb2 said:

Just like in Europe, during the last two years, where covid seems to get particularly bad at Christmas causing the cancellation or obstruction of traditional celebrations and people getting together

and you have to wonder why, all for what at the end? just demonstrate how incompetent, senseless and ridiculous our European leaders are 😁

They couldn't organize a pissup in an Irish bar,

• Like 1

Will this go over like the alcohol ban on SK?   I saw a thai mom buy 2 water guns at 7-11 today at night bazaar

So all those stupid plastic water guns--phone ponchos--SK gear wont be sold stores????? do tell!!!

2 hours ago, ace035 said:

Due to the fact that at least 27K cases today and that's the reason, no excuse.

Over 50,000 if you count the combined positive PCR and RAT.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Will this go over like the alcohol ban on SK?   I saw a thai mom buy 2 water guns at 7-11 today at night bazaar

So all those stupid plastic water guns--phone ponchos--SK gear wont be sold stores????? do tell!!!

There's no restrictions on playing water in your own home compound with your own family members right?

• Like 1

The other day, Prayut was saying Songkran festivities would not be stopped. Silly of me to be optimistic that he meant the water fights, too.  Of course, this reversal comes the day after I booked my trip for Songkran. Been trying to experience the water party since 1 year prior to the pandemic shutdown. Oh well; I guess it's just not in the cards for me. Plenty of other things to experience in Bangkok.

Edited by S2k

Can’t say I’m disappointed by this decision. The whole water dousing thing is an abomination of the traditions of this festival.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, Noble_Design said:

There's no restrictions on playing water in your own home compound with your own family members right?

as long as they use filthy moat water with ice blocks....then its fine...

• Haha 1

A Songkran with water MAY end up being a thing for 2022. This moist bombshell floating around the Thai media this afternoon. But you’ll need a face mask, an ATK tests and only at designated ‘age’ zones. The change of mind surprised everyone at this afternoon’s CCSA daily briefing.

Not that it is the most important non-sense (again), but is it feasible at all? I mean, can you actually breath with a soaking wet mask on? Reminds me of the water board torture...

When I thought that human stupidity could not reach higher levels, I have been proven wrong again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Manu said:

Not that it is the most important non-sense (again), but is it feasible at all? I mean, can you actually breath with a soaking wet mask on? Reminds me of the water board torture...

When I thought that human stupidity could not reach higher levels, I have been proven wrong again.

Correct mate, just when you think it couldn't get any dafter, they come up with a gem!

😂😂😂

On 3/18/2022 at 11:11 PM, Noble_Design said:

Or in the sea

On 3/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, butterfly said:

and you have to wonder why, all for what at the end? just demonstrate how incompetent, senseless and ridiculous our European leaders are 😁

They couldn't organize a pissup in an Irish bar,

To stop national health systems being overrun - after all this time did you really still need to be told that ?