News Forum - Plans to scrap pre-departure Covid-19 test requirement still needs confirmation

Thaiger

23 minutes ago, Faz said:

Supposing they did drop the PCR test on arrival, replaced with just a ATK test from May 1st.
You'd have to hold of applying until May 1st to enter under the new conditions, so you'd be looking at May 10th for entry. Just pick a date to travel and go with the requirements in force at that time.

I will go on Apr 28th and take the PCR arrival test and if I don't have to take 5 day ATK, great

If I do..........so be it

Thanks Faz

1 hour ago, Faz said:

You can only travel and enter Thailand on the date given on the TP.

You don't need a new TP if the alteration in date is less than 72 hours. But of course you will have every documents for the original date.

19 minutes ago, Alavan said:

You don't need a new TP if the alteration in date is less than 72 hours.

Can you provide a link to that information?

25 minutes ago, Faz said:

Can you provide a link to that information?

Sorry, this is the only link I found on short notice, but I can check tomorrow

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/thailand-pass-faqs#can-i-enter-thailand-with-a-previously-approved-and-registered-thailand-pass

I can say that in February, I entered Thailand 48 hours after my original pass date.

The original departure day I changed the pass to mention my new arrival (is allowed if change is less than 72 hours), and as I arrived in Phuket I also changed the dates for my tests.

16 hours ago, Alavan said:

I can say that in February, I entered Thailand 48 hours after my original pass date.

The original departure day I changed the pass to mention my new arrival (is allowed if change is less than 72 hours), and as I arrived in Phuket I also changed the dates for my tests.

Thanks.
The point I was making is you can't change your flight/hotel bookings for two days later and turn up at the airport on 30th with a TP dated 28th. You quite correctly amended the date on your TP.

Just for members reference “Can I change my travel itinerary once I registered and received QR code'' reads:

Yes. However, flight changes are permitted within 72 hours after the original flight time registered in the Thailand Pass without the need to apply for a new Thailand Pass QR Code, provided that all other required documents remain valid.
- For itinerary changes greater than 72 hours, you will have to edit your Thailand Pass application by accessing your application through the Thailand Pass portal using your access code. Please note that your edited application will be subjected to and undergo the review process cycle all over again.

- This can be done, however, in case of flight change. Travellers can change flights up to 72 hours after the time of the original flight registered with Thailand Pass without requesting a new Thailand Pass QR Code. However, this is Other documents must still be complete and valid as required
- If you wish to change your itinerary for more than 72 hours, you will need to edit your request using your access code. Amendments to the petition must be reconsidered and approved.

On 3/21/2022 at 8:11 PM, Faz said:

As usual it's as clear as mud then!

First, the main changes announced at yesterday’s CCSA meeting…
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/unpacking-the-long-and-winding-road-to-endemic-in-thailand-latest-changes-to-covid-restrictions

• From April 1, the pre-arrival PCR test will be scrapped. But you’ll still need to participate in a pre-paid PCR test on arrival and a pre-paid night of accommodation in a registered SHA+ hotel. On Day 5 you’ll still need to do a self-administered ATK test (which is meant to be uploaded into the Mor Chana App).

• For the Sandbox program, from April 1, where you had in the past been required to stay in a designated district (eg. Phuket) for 7 days, will now be reduced to a 5 day stay in the area before you can then travel freely around Thailand.

• For full quarantine, from April 1, if you are unvaccinated, you will now only need to do a maximum of 5 days, down from the current 7 days.

• From May 1, you will only be required to take a supervised ATK on arrival (wither at the airport or designated venue), so no PCR test or compulsory SHA+ hotel stay for the first night.

• No change to the ‘Covid insurance’ situation. Travellers entering Thailand, with the exception of Thai citizens and returning expats who already have health insurance coverage in Thailand, will need health insurance covering US$20,000.

But, but, wait ..................................................!

NONE of these initiatives have been rubber-stamped and posted in the Royal Gazette, but that is considered a formality and you can expect yesterday’s announcements to become reality from April 1.

But just to throw a bit of confusion into the mix yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Natapanu Nopakun, said that the changes to the pre-arrival PCR test were being ‘considered’.

“It is being considered that the RT-PCR test prior to arrival will not be required anymore. That is being considered, according to the discussions in the general meeting today. When there’s a confirmation… when there’s an actual release on that, we’ll let you know as soon as possible.”

This differed from the Thai-langauge spokesperson who said that the CCSA had confirmed the change. But just about all media are announcing the pre-arrival changes as a ‘done deal’.

Thank goodness for that then. For a moment there I thought they'd changed their flippy floppy requirements and actually made a definite decision. We can now all proceed with our plans in the usual state of utter confusion and controversy. 🥴

I found this sort of weird

Air Canada already has on their website for my wife's flight that she doe not need a pre-departure Covid test for Thailand

Even though it hasn't been confirmed by the Royal Gazette

By the way, she flies on exactly Apr 1st

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 1:02 AM, Dodgey said:

Because, currently, every single person on that plane has had to take a pre departure PCR test. You are sitting on a plane with the odds that almost every single person is Covid free, in a HEPA air filtered cabin. It's far less "risky" than sitting in a bar with randoms.

I've flown all over the place for the last 2 years (year 1 being the exception), maskless. Miracle of miracles, neither myelf nor my partner have ever had covid, that we know of, and we've been tested on arrival, sometimes twice.

Yes but PCR tests pre flight is being dropped by Thailand to PCR test on arrival!!!!!

On 3/21/2022 at 1:44 PM, Fundok said:

Because the air in the modern airplanes is intensely filtered and cleaned, about every 2-3 minutes (typically they are equipped with high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters).

https://www.boeing.com/confident-travel/cabin-air.html#:~:text=Boeing airplanes use high efficiency,the length of the cabin.

Boeing and Airbus are using similar technologies in this regard.

For a multi-hour flight the residual infection risk stems only from the passengers sitting right next to you.

Not that long ago I used to do a lot of flying and often got a cold shortly after flying, people sitting next to each other eating & drinking etc virus's get around despite modern plane filtration systems!!

On 3/19/2022 at 11:34 AM, Manu said:

I would now rather say: "I don't get it". I do not get that non-sense. It has been A LOT of it the past ... whatever (can't even remember anymore), but this has to be in the top 3 of the non-sense decisions. I am definitely giving up trying to "get it".

Yes totally agree, tourists arrive covid free and get infected locally which shows up on this stupid day 5 test rule then off to quarantine $$$$$$$ and a very disgruntled bunch or tourists!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulw said:

Yes but PCR tests pre flight is being dropped by Thailand to PCR test on arrival!!!!!

The PCR test pre departure is not being dropped and replaced with a PCR test on arrival.
The PCR test on arrival has been a requirement for a long time.

3 hours ago, Paulw said:

Not that long ago I used to do a lot of flying and often got a cold shortly after flying, people sitting next to each other eating & drinking etc virus's get around despite modern plane filtration systems!!

No 100% safety anywhere, and if your direct seat neighbours are infected the air filtration will most likely not be sufficient on a long haul flight. But if someone infected sits a couple of rows away (the farer away the better) you should be fine, especially when wearing a mask.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, Faz said:

The PCR test pre departure is not being dropped and replaced with a PCR test on arrival.
The PCR test on arrival has been a requirement for a long time.

Well it has been posted in several different news outlets that only a PCR on arrival so which is correct???

2 minutes ago, Paulw said:

Well it has been posted in several different news outlets that only a PCR on arrival so which is correct???

Your taking out of context my statement.
You insinuated the pre departure PCR test was being dropped to be replaced by a PCR test on arrival.
The PCR test on arrival was/is still a requirement.

The pre departure PCR test has been dropped for entry requirements, but it may still be required by certain airlines for boarding.

47 minutes ago, Faz said:

Your taking out of context my statement.
You insinuated the pre departure PCR test was being dropped to be replaced by a PCR test on arrival.
The PCR test on arrival was/is still a requirement.

The pre departure PCR test has been dropped for entry requirements, but it may still be required by certain airlines for boarding.

It may for some airlines but not all, I am talking about Thailand entry requirements.