News Forum - Thailand’s electricity tariff expected to surge higher than ever

Thaiger

After Thailand’s Energy Regulation Commission announced yesterday that the electricity price could rise to four baht per kilowatt hour, the ERC now says it will rise to a record high above that. The ERC says this will be the first time the price has surged this high. The fuel tariff is expected to be 0.24 baht per unit between May and August, on top of an average base tariff of 3.76 baht per unit. In September to December, the Ft is expected to be 0.6483 baht per unit. The ERC’s secretary-general said Thailand faces a “double impact” from higher energy […]

The story Thailand’s electricity tariff expected to surge higher than ever as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

“…one caused by higher energy demand following the reopening of countries after lockdown, and the other resulting from the Russia-Ukraine war”

It couldn't be that the bank of Thailand is printing exorbitant amounts of money to keep the baht at a certain exchange rate window with other currencies.  Much easier to blame Russia.  

I used to wonder why economics isnt taught in most schools, and when it is its Keynesian BS.  Now i know its on purpose so that the masses will believe just about any ridiculous theory that is spouted by the government.  

condo juristic can help to reduce electricity consumption, now corrindors and lobby lights switched on all day long, 24 hours, with full intensity! can half of the lights switched off? especically during midnight to 6am

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, drkenchao said:

condo juristic can help to reduce electricity consumption, now corrindors and lobby lights switched on all day long, 24 hours, with full intensity! can half of the lights switched off? especically during midnight to 6am

Yes, and I feel for condo renters, you guys pay almost double what we pay for a house connected rate already, It would be worth while to get a syndicate together in the complex just to buy led lights for the building if they agree to lower your baht rate.

3 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Yes, and I feel for condo renters, you guys pay almost double what we pay for a house connected rate already, It would be worth while to get a syndicate together in the complex just to buy led lights for the building if they agree to lower your baht rate.

Are you sure about this? 

Last month we used 813 units of electricity and paid 3,657.68 THB. That comes at 4.49 THB/unit. Which is $0.13 USD. 

I find it hard to believe you pay $0.07 or $0.08 for electricity. Specially according to MEA's website: 

657322867_ScreenShot2022-03-19at4_48_22AM.thumb.png.f956c1c74c86832e58982f468e437ba1.png

9 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Here are two pics i just took of bills.

[Images]

So you average at around 3.8 THB / kWh.... But I realized that's not MEA (Bangkok); it is PEA (Provinces). So that may be the reason why. 

It's cheaper in the provinces. Not because it's not a condo but simply because it's not in Bangkok.

Edited by Sparktrader
  • Like 1