News Forum - Thailand’s power will be more expensive in May

Thaiger

From May until August, Thailand’s electricity price will rise to four baht per kilowatt hour, going up by 0.23-1.3 baht per unit. The country’s Energy Regulatory Commission is raising fuel tariffs following Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine. An ERC spokesman said another reason for the price surge is the declining supply of natural gas from the Gulf of Thailand. Russia’s invasion of the Ukraine has caused gas and oil prices across the globe to spike. Thailand has capped the price of diesel at 30 baht per litre, but this cap will end at the end of May. Thailand’s deputy prime […]

The story Thailand’s power will be more expensive in May as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

well perhaps you could make it a bit cooler so we dont have to use ac or maybe make it rain less. How does one save energy in thailand when 96% of our bills are from air con. You start putting bills up it will totally destabilise the thai economy which is built on three rules, cheap rent, cheap bills, cheap travel .. on your head be it people

Edited by alex12345

11 minutes ago, alex12345 said:

well perhaps you could make it a bit cooler so we dont have to use ac or maybe make it rain less. How does one save energy in thailand when 96% of our bills are from air con. You start putting bills up it will totally destabilise the thai economy which is built on three rules, cheap rent, cheap bills, cheap travel .. on your head be it people

Since a lot of people anyway pay 7 baht, the price from the landlord, it does not matter. 🤣

• Haha 1

Because of rising fuel costs everything that is transported will and is going up. Lge Leo now up 5 baht to 65 a bottle and as we all know when it goes up it never comes down.  Thank you Mr Putin.

If only we had sunshine and enough land to build a hub of solar and renewable energy, reducing pollution, creating jobs and pivoting the economy...if only...

Just what we all need is a different crunch on the pocket book brought to you by Czar Putin other than what the Wuhan Covid has managed to destroy. Both of these counties fathead rulers need to be sent away in space to only deal with themselves. 

• Like 1

i'm curious why the deputy pm has stated they are waiting for loans?

prior to the pandemic the central bank of thailand was allegedly sitting on pots of valuable forex.during the pandemic i was surprised this big stash was not injected into the retail banks and the economy in general.now i'm  surprised it's not being injected into the energy supply sector to help the economy.

what rainy day exactly are they waiting to use it on,it is after all public money.

So the vote buying will shift to fixed fuel prices and a promise of lowered electricity prices that will come in, coincidentally, once the Ukraine conflict is finished. 

10 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

If only we had sunshine and enough land to build a hub of solar and renewable energy, reducing pollution, creating jobs and pivoting the economy...if only...

Sure... let us rape the land and it's minerals and build very expensive solar panels while we ignore the fact that there is cheap viable energy available that doesn't fit the narrative.

I rented an apparent at an Indian place a couple of years back, during cold season my electric bill suddenly doubled. The owner asked if I started to use my toaster more than before😂

On 3/18/2022 at 7:21 AM, Skip said:

Sure... let us rape the land and it's minerals and build very expensive solar panels while we ignore the fact that there is cheap viable energy available that doesn't fit the narrative.

Nuclear would be better, and ultimately long term is the only real answer.
But realistically, Thailand has an existing solar industry and already made inroads with hydro-solar farming.

Higher energy prices and higher living costs are something sensitive in Thailand as many Thais had already problems to meet month end to pay all. Add this to the economicly downfall under this government there will landslide victories by the oppositons in an election and the end of the ruling government parties. Already the majority of Thais are against Prayut and the government but this will bring the absolut downfall and unelecatable for Thais.

Now mathematics is not my strong point and I would welcome being corrected if I'm wrong, but my average electric bill is around 1500 baht therefore does this mean that a 4% rise would add an increase of 60 baht? Doesn't seem that bad to me if my number crunching is correct.

12 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Now mathematics is not my strong point and I would welcome being corrected if I'm wrong, but my average electric bill is around 1500 baht therefore does this mean that a 4% rise would add an increase of 60 baht? Doesn't seem that bad to me if my number crunching is correct.

can't say about your math, but how much you pay now, per Unit?

Thailand’s electricity price will rise to four baht per kilowatt hour, going up by 0.23-1.3 baht per unit.

How far away is your UNIT price from 4 Baht, NOW? ;-)

I have just had notification of my price increase here in the UK, around 40%, from £0.20 to £0.28 per kwh - so now around 12 baht per kwh - so they are getting off lightly. Another incentive to spend my winters somewhere warm.