News Forum - Carl’s Jr. says goodbye to Thailand, stores in Bangkok and Pattaya close next week

Thaiger

The American fast-food chain, Carl’s Jr., is saying goodbye to Thailand. All six of its stores in Bangkok and Pattaya will close by the end of the month. The R&R Restaurant Group, which owns the franchise rights to run Carl’s Jr. chains in Thailand, says that it can no longer afford to operate it. The group says it was forced to important ingredients solely from the US, adding that CKE Restaurants Holdings, the parent company of Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s, had set restrictions. Over the past year, the company says they tried to keep afloat, but decided to close as they […]

The story Carl’s Jr. says goodbye to Thailand, stores in Bangkok and Pattaya close next week as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I do my best not to eat fast food, every so often its a nice treat.  On those occasions, i much prefer carls jr to BK, MCD, KFC etc.  

On the bright side, seems there have been a lot of quality burger places open around BKK over the last few years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

I do my best not to eat fast food, every so often its a nice treat.  On those occasions, i much prefer carls jr to BK, MCD, KFC etc.  

On the bright side, seems there have been a lot of quality burger places open around BKK over the last few years. 

I would say 'quality' and 'burger' dont really fit in the same sentence. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, MrNovax said:

Been looking at restaurants to hit when I am in BKK

I have felt the restaurant scene in BKK has matured greatly over the years

But in the last 5 years it has exploded, with unreal choices everywhere 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Hopefully McDonald's and KFC will leave too 

If you think KFC would ever leave Thailand, you must not know the country that well(i actually hate saying that, I sound like a douche)

Thais think of KFC as Thai food, basically............

• Like 3

A good riddance that hopefully will contribute to Thais and expats here not becoming the typical 400kg American who needs a forklift to be taken out of home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

A good riddance that hopefully will contribute to Thais and expats here not becoming the typical 400kg American who needs a forklift to be taken out of home. 

Did you ever see the Channel4 series The American Problem (UK)?

My life, there were these blokes called feeders who liked their wives to be fat. One came home with a 26lb McDonalds meal and fed it to his missus. Oh the horror!

• Haha 1

Don’t see the big deal on why negative comments. For me too bad as never had the chance to have a Carl’s Jr burger here. Now I want to try Taco Bell here but when saw it in Bangkok I wasn’t in food mode. CM doesn’t have yet. Me and the family do KFC as easy maybe 5 -7 times a year and McDonalds 1-2 and Burger King maybe once. We predominantly cook and eat good food at home and it is 98% Thai food. Tonight I made Mexican soft shell chicken tacos ( 2 types of chicken flavor) for dinner and they were delicious. Sour cream, cheese, salsa olives l, being basically all the stuff. No guacamole as didn’t have any avocado on hand darn it. 

Anyway, if you don’t like fast food then stay away from it as it isn’t doing you no harm. If you are anti all fast food chains then there are lots to eliminate. And if you are against foreign chains then might as well be negative and eliminate Swensens Ice cream as well. 
I just don’t see the big negative fuss about it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

if you don’t like fast food then stay away from it as it isn’t doing you no harm

It's doing society a huge harm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Don’t see the big deal on why negative comments. For me too bad as never had the chance to have a Carl’s Jr burger here. Now I want to try Taco Bell here but when saw it in Bangkok I wasn’t in food mode. CM doesn’t have yet. Me and the family do KFC as easy maybe 5 -7 times a year and McDonalds 1-2 and Burger King maybe once. We predominantly cook and eat good food at home and it is 98% Thai food. Tonight I made Mexican soft shell chicken tacos ( 2 types of chicken flavor) for dinner and they were delicious. Sour cream, cheese, salsa olives l, being basically all the stuff. No guacamole as didn’t have any avocado on hand darn it. 

Anyway, if you don’t like fast food then stay away from it as it isn’t doing you no harm. If you are anti all fast food chains then there are lots to eliminate. And if you are against foreign chains then might as well be negative and eliminate Swensens Ice cream as well. 
I just don’t see the big negative fuss about it. 

I am no anti-fast food activist(too fat to be one 5555)

But I do think there is harm in them

We have a bazzillion nephews and a few nieces in Thailand

They all want fast food for their birthdays/special events

Where as my wife probably never ate fast food until her late 20's

Her eating habits are way healthier...........

Her sweets are fruits, not candy or cakes

Our fridge looks like a jungle with so many vegetables

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Somehow reminded me of this image which I've seen once but remember it always:

598.jpg.fb575128bd3c9d29d2221b90f534f22b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Poolie said:

I would say 'quality' and 'burger' dont really fit in the same sentence. 😃

No. It's "fast/convenience food" and "quality food" that don't match.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Thais think of KFC as Thai food, basically............

When I trained at Sinbi Muay Thai in Phuket, as a gesture of gratitude to my trainer "Yib" I offered to take him to his favourite restaurant, anywhere in Phuket, no holds barred. He instantly and without hesitation said KFC. I asked him why KFC over anywhere else, and he said "I eat KFC, I feel...POWAH!!"

• Haha 3
  • Cool 1

If you want a good quality, dare I say it, healthy, beef burger, MAKE YOUR OWN. If you eat hamburgers from the now non-food, commercialized hamburger outlets, you simply don't even care about yourself. It only takes a few minutes online to determine how what you are eating at many of these places is not even REAL food. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

When I trained at Sinbi Muay Thai in Phuket, as a gesture of gratitude to my trainer "Yib" I offered to take him to his favourite restaurant, anywhere in Phuket, no holds barred. He instantly and without hesitation said KFC. I asked him why KFC over anywhere else, and he said "I eat KFC, I feel...POWAH!!"

I have a great one

When I met my wife she insisted that KFC was from Thailand, a Thai company 

We were in a bar in Bangkok and I went to the restroom and their was an old picture of a Kentucky Fried Chicken 

So I broke her over to show her

But she said  "That's nor KFC, it says some other name"  5555

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I am no anti-fast food activist(too fat to be one 5555)

But I do think there is harm in them

We have a bazzillion nephews and a few nieces in Thailand

They all want fast food for their birthdays/special events

Where as my wife probably never ate fast food until her late 20's

Her eating habits are way healthier...........

Her sweets are fruits, not candy or cakes

Our fridge looks like a jungle with so many vegetables

The reality is that most or the greatest of the majority of all Thai adults and kids will not eat this type of fast food on a daily or multi monthly basis or even less than that because it is way too expensive. Even for us we would not as yes we see it as expensive and for the cost of what you get for the eating experience we can get so much more and way better quality food in a better eating environment. We would choose food court (if a good one as most suck) or even a Super 8. Me and my family don't crave it, look at it as a golden egg treat or sensualize it, but realize it is there as an easy fast choice to cover hunger. My kids more will get the snack drinks or soft ice cream as we walk past. This is mostly a mall food as I see it, although there are some out in the towns or cites as stand alone. I think KFC is the huge winner for most here and then maybe like the fast-food pizza may be a second, but then again, the average Thai will not buy it on a regular or even semi regular basis because it is too spendy. Funny thing, as you will see many Thai opt for the say these fast-food companies twist on their own food. Now not sure how bad these dishes are as they do have rice, but you will see many Thai choosing them as they are pretty low cost well or a bit below 80 baht I think.

We cook and eat home most all of the time and it is quite Thai and quite healthy, and BTW, my wife at this moment has a full watermelon and sliced pineapple in the refrigerator. For me I am not even close to fat as I exercise and watch my health, well except on maybe one night during the week for where I will indulge in multi alcohols.

Anyway, as you say nephews and nieces, you also did state as a special occasion they wish they have it or request. This is so little, and so does it really matter? The happinees they get it is ten fold compared to the unhealthiness for a single time. As you said your noi anti fast food activist as too overweight, and neither am I and I stay in pretty good shape as I run 5 times a week. 

We could look at it this way, it may be a better way for population control in the long run than having covid viruses escape or be released. But still unfortunately hasn't hurt Trump in health, well maybe excpet for his brain. sorry had tho throw that in there.

Anyway, I wish my kids would have had the chance to give Carls Jr. a try at least once, and no they will not be flying back to the USA just to knock that one of the fast food wich bucket.

For me my tonight is my spirits night. TGIF YOOHOO!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

It's doing society a huge harm

For here in Thailand very little if none for the msot part. But maybe for the fat little spoilt rich snot kid. And more than anything this kid was made into a crying stomping little temper tantrum brat from an early age byt his parents, and then by his parents giving him or her everything. My kids and family there is a balance, and this food is pratically not ever in our lives..

2 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

If you want a good quality, dare I say it, healthy, beef burger, MAKE YOUR OWN. If you eat hamburgers from the now non-food, commercialized hamburger outlets, you simply don't even care about yourself. It only takes a few minutes online to determine how what you are eating at many of these places is not even REAL food. 

And if you make your own, then keep it to grass fed with no antibiotics or hormones injected. Also black list all processed meats like ham and bolgna, prosciutto etc, and most breads not baked naturall. Farm house bread is not even healthy as it is made with saturated fats and sugars. So where do we really draw the line? Not getting on you but just saying health is all in the mind and how far you want to take it. BTW. We do infact make our own burgers at home. Sometimes we buy beef and chop or grind it oursleves.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Fundok said:

No. It's "fast/convenience food" and "quality food" that don't match.

Well. At least we agree  on 'quality.'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Well. At least we agree  on 'quality.'

Sure. Good meat for the patty and a self-made burger bun is quality food (too). Good we found something we can both agree upon at long last.

2 minutes ago, Fundok said:

Sure. Good meat for the patty and a self-made burger bun is quality food (too). Good we found something we can both agree upon at long last.

👍