Russia v Ukraine - How This Is Going To End

Pinetree

2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

may be able to rapidly train and push conscripts into battle however without a chain of command they are best suited to holding defensive positions,

I think you just describe the Russian army perfectly.

The Ukrainian army encourage lower grade officers and non-comms to take initiative and make decisions. Not a strong suit for the Russian army. That top down structure they use just doesn’t work nearly as well. There is a reason so many Russian generals have been killed at the front lines. Just saying. 

• Like 1
  • Cool 2

7 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

You can hit all the warehouses you want, you will not destroy much since Ukraine doesn’t have much. That’s been by western design even if Ukraine hates it. 

That makes sense. No point delivering stuff that Ukraine doesn’t have the resources or opportunity to use. Sending stuff to the front lines piecemeal seems like a desperate attempt to reinforce a line not a knockout blow.

10 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

The question will be how many, and so far Russia doesn’t have a good track record in hitting the bag limit. Like I said, maybe this time will be different. Not holding my breath, are you?

No because Ukraine would never tell me when I can breath out. The UAF losses are a guarded secret so we never know even after an area falls under Russian control. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fanta said:

If Russia gets a second wind after a spell of R&R in Donbas then the UAF either need a successful counter offensive launched at the right time or the weapons in place to repel another Russian onslaught.

I thought you said Russia was going to stop after Donbas? 

Dont worry. If the day comes Russian defeats the Ukrainian army, they will just switch to a insurgency. That was what the west spent half their time training Ukraine how to do since 2014 anyway. You need about 4-5x the men to pacify a country as to conquer it. Good luck with that. 

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

I thought you said Russia was going to stop after Donbas? 

Hey, a guy can dream can’t he? The rest of your comment shows why Russia should stop after Donbas. Those Ukrainian farmers are feisty! 

• Haha 1
  • Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Fanta said:

JIT did work out very well for the automotive industry for the last few years. Just saying… 

If Russia gets a second wind after a spell of R&R in Donbas then the UAF either need a successful counter offensive launched at the right time or the weapons in place to repel another Russian onslaught. Time will tell. 

Has Russia the Men anymore ?
We’ll See.

40 minutes ago, Fanta said:

All the weapons in the world aren’t that much use if no officers are available to tell the grunts when and where to fire them. It takes years to train officers to competently command troops. Ukraine & NATO may be able to rapidly train and push conscripts into battle however without a chain of command they are best suited to holding defensive positions, not participating in the counter offensives that win wars. 

UK MOD reports they have trained 20,000 Ukrainian Soldiers in various skills since 2014. US Poland Romania must have trained at least a similar total number. If 10% Out of Battle, Still leaves enough I imagine. 😉😎

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Plenty of video showing western weapons on action at the front

Show me. We'd need to see proof of times, number of weapons used, their effects and locations, or I'm saying that you're guessing and don't know what you're talking about. 

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

nd yet when you look at a map you don’t see a lot of change. Honestly I’m surprised by your statement. Since trading land for time is a well honed military strategy used when defending against a more powerful enemy. Russia used it in WW2 to great success. Yet you don’t seem to recognize it

You're assuming that Russia is running out of time, when one after the other city is captured and Ukraine is virtually a land locked country. You remind me of the Knight in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Just a flesh wound, eh?

What makes you think that the Russians will turn into pumpkins at midnight? I'm surprised that you don't realise that this could go on for years, and Russia is the larger and superior force.

• Angry 1

Just for Comrade Dbrean about the beeb reliability and honesty ?. Your Comrade KRLMRX seems happy to quote links from the BBC Page 95.

judging by the number of prisoners (Russia says up to 10,000) and dead (up to 50,000) Ukrainian soldiers - yes, I think that the Ukrainian leadership is a little more stupid than the Russian one. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61742736

Notice of Closure of Thread

Members,

This thread has now been closed. This is as a result of far too many breaches being observed of Forum Guidelines, and the level of antagonism being displayed by some. Simply, such is not acceptable.

We do believe the discussion should go on, however all members need to reset themselves to the required expectations. In addition, a topic of a more general nature may allow better and wider discussion outside the parameters of what would be "off-topic" for this. We acknowledge the efforts of @Pinetreein commencing this thread, which has at times had very interesting adult discussion. Other times, sadly, not great examples of adult behaviour.

We have also considered the size of the thread and the speed of posting, combined with the extent of Guidelines infractions. This has made it difficult for the Volunteer Moderators to manage.

A thread can be found under Expat Chat as follows:

Take time to have a breather. Return with a clear mind and understanding of your responsibilities as members, some of which are highlighted in the opening post. We understand passions on this can run high, but we expect all members to act as civil contributors, abiding by our Forum Guidelines.

A repeat of what has developed on this thread at times will not be tolerated, so take time to understand and follow the Guidelines if you want your voice to be heard.

https://thethaiger.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules

Moderation Panel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1